Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Taurus SE Vulcan: There are many choices on Ebay for compressors and receiver driers and kits with all components.

Anyone have experience with any of these and can make a recommendation?

What about an OEM compressor and after market receiver drier? Is that a good option.

Thanks, John aka JayKay

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
If your compressor is the original I would go to Ford For the Compresor unit, Mine went out while on a Trip in vegas (Figures huh ?) the part with installation was 600.00 using the OEM Ford part Which by the way was redesigned. You don't need a Reciever/Dryer if the failure was EXTERNAL (Clutch falure) if it was internal then that's when you need to replace those items. Using aftermarket parts on the A/C System should be fine but I would Stick with the OEM Compressor mine lasted 134K before the clutch went out on it.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Check out acpartsguys.com for decent prices on OEM compressors. I have bought several from them for cheaper than any other place I could find for brand new OEM compressors. As noted above, any aftermarket reciever/dryer will be fine if the system needs to be opened.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Fwiw, ford uses the accumulator/orifice tube system, not the receiver-dryer/expansion valve set-up. The accumulator is on the lo (suction) side of the system and the receiver/dryer is on the hi (discharge) side.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Fwiw, ford uses the accumulator/orifice tube system, not the receiver-dryer/expansion valve set-up. The accumulator is on the lo (suction) side of the system and the receiver/dryer is on the hi (discharge) side.
Thanks for the clarification once and for all. I always got confused.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
I always have used the terms accumulator and receiver/dryer to pretty much mean the same thing, but of course, sheila, you are correct..... they arent quite the same thing. Every Ford AC I have worked on for 30+ years has used an orifice tube system.

·
Registered
116 Posts
FWIW..I just replaced my "dryer" o my 96 Sable...I got it from O O O O'reilly's and I "think" it said Murry? anyway the fit was not good...but it did work! they priced matched Autozone at 55.99

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I would second that. On the compressor, I would go with an OE compressor, they just seem to hold up very well, and last a long time, and internal compressor failure can be very costly, so think of it as an investment to protect the rest of the system too.

If your old compressor failed internally, check to see if you have black death. If you do, you will need to have the entire system flushed out professionally, and or some critical parts replaced. If you have black death, the filter on the orifice tube will be covered with the stuff.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Oh the Dreaded black death :( I don't wish that on anyone. It's a PITA to have it all cleaned out, Most just replace EVERYTHING, which is very costly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for Responses. Rest of the Story - 2004 A/C woes

This also refers back to a previous post several weeks ago.

I noticed some oil stains under the compressor on the driveway and told my wife not to use the A/C until I had a chance to look at it.

She came home with the defrost on and the belt slipping on the pulley.

I'm not 100% sure if the compressor seized or if the clutch seized.

I turned everything off and managed to get the clutch to release and the car ran OK for about a week (without the A/C or defrost of course)

Then the clutch started making a lot of "roaring" and rattling noises, comes and goes. Just using on local errands. Obviously running on borrowed time!

To get to my point, I am trying to identify good source of parts and how I'm going to do this (also save up the money as this is not cheap)

I have not opened the system, it still has a charge. I don't want to open it until I'm ready to do the work.

Car has 127,000 and the A/C worked well until this problem. I don't know if it has contaminants. I don't want to replace parts if I don't need to.

Do I need to open the system to find out? Sounds like I need to.

Where do I look?

How do I identify if the compressor is bad or just the clutch?

Thanks for the responses and also the technical correction, duly noted.

John aka JayKay

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You Just need a Compressor, Your clutch failed on you. Use OEM Ford for the Compressor for Trouble-free opperation. The Original one lasted 127K so a new one will last just as long, maybe longer because ford has updated the clutch design.

Have the system proffesionally put under a vaccum and evacuated then install the A/C compressor and recharge, Done. What happened to you happened to me while I was on a road trip, a Mobile A/C Repair man came out to my friends house where I was staying and replaced it for $600.00 including labor. Mind you If I had done it at my house all I would pay for is the Evac and recharge, I would have had installed it myself, it's NOT hard after you remove the cooling fans and the power distribution box.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just 2 more Questions! about parts and process:

The information is very helpful to save time and money, precious commodities for most of us these days.

1. I plan to buy the OEM compressor and clutch from one of the on line OEM parts suppliers. I certainly want to get the factory improved clutch.
Is this a fairly new part?
I want to be sure I get the right part.
Does anyone have the Ford part number for the new clutch?
2. I assume the "black death" described in this string would be parts of a disintegrated compressor.
Where is the easiest place to check if the system is clean or full of "black debris?"
Thanks, great forum I will post some feedback when I get this done.
John aka JayKay

·
Registered
49 Posts
The information is very helpful to save time and money, precious commodities for most of us these days.

1. I plan to buy the OEM compressor and clutch from one of the on line OEM parts suppliers. I certainly want to get the factory improved clutch.
Is this a fairly new part?
I want to be sure I get the right part.
Does anyone have the Ford part number for the new clutch?
2. I assume the "black death" described in this string would be parts of a disintegrated compressor.
Where is the easiest place to check if the system is clean or full of "black debris?"
Thanks, great forum I will post some feedback when I get this done.
John aka JayKay
Remove the orifice tube.When you see it you will know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts