Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Valvoline has a 5-20 syn blend. And Mobil one has a 0-20 full synthetic special formulated for the fords(and another manufacturer who requires 5-20, cant remember now) Its time for an oil change so Ill be giving it a try.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by snakeeyes@Jun 20 2004, 12:13 AM
Valvoline has a 5-20 syn blend. And Mobil one has a 0-20 full synthetic special formulated for the fords(and another manufacturer who requires 5-20, cant remember now) Its time for an oil change so Ill be giving it a try.
is that so? i was unaware of that. i was about to try redline synthetic. :)

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Thats great but where do they sell those weights?Not in the stores by me for sure. :crybabysmiley:

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Originally posted by snakeeyes@Jun 19 2004, 11:40 PM
autozone
They sure don't carry it at the Autozone about 2 blocks from my house. Maybe its a special order? I'll check in there the next day or two and see whats up with that.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Autozone near me didn't have 5w20 in synthetic or at all.

I use Valvoline Duramax 5w-30 in my car. Synthetic blend...I've never seen 5w-20...

JR

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
The wal mart near me has Motorcraft Synthetic 5w-20. In fact, it's the ONLY synthetic besides Mobile 1 they have! lol

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Autozone is running a special right now, 5 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter for $30. I was going to buy it yesterday, but stuck with the Durablend...after I get my plugs changed, I'll try out the Mobil 1...

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
There must be enough of a difference to justify having a different weight, but I don't know that we would see any difference between the two as consumers...

JR

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 21 2004, 12:31 PM
There must be enough of a difference to justify having a different weight, but I don't know that we would see any difference between the two as consumers...

JR
Environmental temperatures. If I remember correctly, 5w20 is for engines in warmer climates? I'm also trying to deduct by reason. I was on another board asking about oil, and I know that racers use around 0w20 because how they can get it up to temp very fast, or they heat the oil beforehand or something...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 21 2004, 01:31 PM

JR
5W-20 was only introduced to increase Ford's CAFE (corporate average fuel economy). Personally I wouldn't use it. That's mighty thin oil, especially for the summer months. 5W-30 / 10W-30 are fine to use in cars that call for 5W-20.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The only time I would want to use 5-20w or any weight like that is during the winter. Especially once it gets to way below freezing, granted here in NY it only gets to like 20 degrees or a little below that, except for this winter...but still, the engine warms up quicker and starts easier with 5w-20 oil, because its lighter.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Yeah, but because the oil is so damn thin, if your engine is older, the oil might leak out of the engine seals and such, thus creating bad things...I would stay with 5w-30...

JR

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah, with my 94 with 175k on the clock, I doubt it would be a good idea to put 5-20w in, I would definately agree.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought myself a 2004 Ford Taurus. This is actually the 5th Ford Taurus that I have owned. I noticed the owner's manual says that I should use 5w-20 motor oil. The oil reservoir cap also says this. It is my understanding that these lower weight motor oils are best used in cold temperatures. Since I live in the Phoenix, Arizona area were it never ever gets cold, in fact sometimes it gets up to 120 degrees Fahrenheidt I was wondering if it would be wise to use 5w 20 motor oil. In the past I always used 10w 30 since I am in such a hot and dusty climate. What should I use in such a climate?

·
Registered
437 Posts
:) In Arizona, I would think that 10w30 oil was fine. The recommended viscosities of oil is mainly concerning cold start-up wherever you live. Most engine wear happens when the engine is cold. If you live in the Arctic at -40 degrees then you should use synthetic oil. 5W20 oil is OK for all reasonable climates and even in hot climates is better (thinner) when cold at start-up. Cost-wise 5W20 is becoming even with 5W30 oil so why not use 5W20 oil. If it was "too thin" then Ford would not recomend 5W20 oil. As for gas milleage, huh! 0.25% diference, why the Hoo Ha against 5W20 oil, it's not too thin and adequate for a modern engine. Maybe one day we will see 0W10 oil as the norm?

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Yeah, I've been down this road before. Check your owner's manual for the best oil weight to use for your climate. Or the oil filler cap. I personally use German Castrol (GC) Syntec only available at some AutoZones, only available in 0-30W range and only made in Germany. Just as good or better than Mobil-1. The remaining Syntec oils are a USA/imported blend and would not use.

Just my 2¢'s.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts