Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, just wondering about any good independent shops or dealerships to go to for repairs that are good and honest.i live in the deland/daytona beach area.the mechanic I have been using for the last 10 years has been slowly going down hill.the guys he has now dont diagnose well.they guess and throw parts at my car.they dont double check there work.had to bring it back the last few times.my oil pressure light flickers when car is stopped after driving for a while.the car runs fine.it has 186,700 miles on it.i had oil changed at the dealership a couple of days ago.I changed it and filter every 3000 miles.the oil pressure sending unit was replaced but did not solve the problem.he told me to bring it back and leave it with him for the day to test the oil pressure on the engine.I thought he did it before hand.i sat there for 4 hours.i just want to confirm if the motor is too worn or if it can be fixed.i dont want to waste anymore time or money.thanks in advance.i have kept up with the maintenence schedule to the t.this would suck if this car is ready to die so early.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,751 Posts
Frankly, your mechanic's shop sounds as if they are doing things properly. No one can troubleshoot a low oil-pressure situation without replacing the most obvious, least expensive potential causes first. That is (I hope) what you yourself would do if you were doing the work yourself. Short of doing a Vulcan mind-meld (ooh, nice pun there), no one can become one with the automobile and know beyond a shadow of a doubt what causes certain things to happen.

Granted, some are obvious; but tracking down the cause of a low-pressure event in a 12-year-old vehicle isn't one of them. Your oil pump may be worn to the point of replacement; it may work OK, but your oil ports (some or all) may be constricted from sludge and age; and/or your engine may just have enough overall wear to the point where a slightly thicker-grade oil is needed to keep up the recommended pressure within the system.

Are you getting any trouble codes?

Now, if they were trying to replace your camshaft or recommending a transmission rebuild for a flickering oil-pressure light....that's another scenario for another day. I wish you were closer to Fort Myers - I'd be happy to give the car a good checking-out.
kamui4697 said:
this would suck if this car is ready to die so early.
Sounds as if you plan to keep the car for a while...chances are, this is a small problem worth solving.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,751 Posts
A lot of members on this forum (me included) have tried Seafoam engine treatment and have been satisfied with the results. It can be added to the fuel tank to clean out the induction system, but also into the crankcase to help de-varnish the engine innards. It's sold at most auto parts places. I also remember using STP oil treatment back in the 1970s, it helped some too. Some people swear by Marvel Mystery Oil, but I never had any experience with it myself.

Whichever way you go, follow directions and don't leave the additive in the oil any longer than called for. Running an engine too long on thinned-out oil is begging for trouble.

·
Registered
447 Posts
kam,

The oil pressure should be checked. The engine should be fully warmed up to get a good reading.

Also, make sure the engine is idling at the correct specified RPM. If there is a problem with the tune, it may idle too low in some circumstances and the oil light then flickers.

If the car has oil pressure and does not knock, I'd be temped to try a heavier oil, like 20W-50.

Make sure the engine is not overheating. Excessive heat will thin the oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts