Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems at the moment that I may not be living in the same city as my wife for this summer due to jobs. (sigh)
We already have 1 solid car, a very nice 2003 Subaru Outback (I love my AWD in the Chicago winters) and I'm looking at perhaps getting a cheap ($1000 or less, we're really broke) car for my summer transportation needs. I found a 1995 Taurus local with 128k miles that is asking $950. Other than a basic tune up if I don't have recent service records is there anything I should be looking for or factoring in to the budget? I'm thinking the 3.0 is pretty solid, and if the trans is decent it should serve the purpose. I don't need it to live forever, just be remotely reliable for the summer and maybe part of next school year.

By basic tune up I mean: plugs, wires, PCV, filters, trans flush. Before our Subaru I've owned 4 TBirds, but haven't found one in decent enough shape for the right price (I hate living on student loans).

Comments? Suggestions? Pointing and laughing?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course. I've had my butt saved by inspections. My most recent one was telling a Toyota dealership they could keep their 2002 Outback because it's head gaskets were leaking. Their mechanic said they weren't, Subaru technician had given me a $2000 repair estimate on the car.

Inspections are my friend.

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Wow, that car looks awfully familiar LOL.

I'd say if it all goes well, go for it.

Mine's got significantly lower mileage, but has been pretty rock solid through the past year and a half/20k miles.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Can't tell much from this distance. Obviously, this could have been parked randomly, but I'd check out that fresh oil stain that seems to point to a badly leaking steering rack (2nd photo, oil drips that look like a parallel parking trail).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (OldWagon @ May 13 2009, 08:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=724763
Can't tell much from this distance. Obviously, this could have been parked randomly, but I'd check out that fresh oil stain that seems to point to a badly leaking steering rack (2nd photo, oil drips that look like a parallel parking trail).[/b]
Good eye. With the parking here in Chicago it's hard to tell which car left what puddle, cause they seem to change every time you look out the window.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Looks real clean for the price. Check color of antifreeze, Vulcans are notorious for collecting crud in the cooling system, but a good flush usually cleans 'em up. Also, check color and smell of ATF fluid, shouldn't be brown or smell burnt. You might want to consider driving it in the winter too. A Taurus with good tires is unstoppable in the snow, we get horrific Lake Effect storms here, and mine just drives on through it. -Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same rims on a 97 Taurus with 150K miles. (MN) They all are/were having leakage issues so keep an eye on the tire pressure if you get it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts