Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been meaning to post this for a few weeks. Anyway, just gave away to charity our 99 with 215K on it. We bought it in 2001 with 20K. My sons were two years old and 2 months old. They both learned to drive in that car. Best car I've ever owned.(not to be confused with my favorite car btw). Everything still worked on the car and was extremely dependable. Had usual Vulcan issues, cam synchronizer, EGR pressure sensor, and transmission speed sensor but those were all replaced by self for less than $200.Still original transmission, had flushed it 5 times over the years. Well maintained and we called her the Silver Bullet. Despite a little rust on the left rearwell it was still a straight and hail free car which is incredible for Colorado for its age. Charity helps out single moms needing cars so was happy to donate and someone will get a car with a little life left.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
I have donated two of my Taurus that were not rusted too much. Last two had too much body rot to feel good about donating them so ended up junking one at a scrap dealer and the other at a place that parts cars out. Figured someone could get a good trans and engine with only 120k miles.
My 1993 brought my two daughters home from the hospital after being born and then they learned to drive in it too.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
My wife says that when she dies I'm going to bury her in the 99 Sable. She won't drive it anymore, makes fun of the car.
She lost the serp belt tensioner at 144K, drove it on the highway to 'keep the radiator cool' :mad: !!!
16 miles later the battery ran out of power, she cooked both cylinder heads. Put two used ones from LKQ, still driving the car today with 258K on it.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I feel your pain. got hit in run in my 95 wagon. loved that car. hit in the front and camber was off. was thinking about fixing that then the vulcan started showing signs of head gasket failure. It was still running, but probably not for long. drove it on a sad day to the Upull yard for final interment.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The sad truth about donating cars to charity is: they are ALL sold as scrap and crushed. The charity cannot/will not assume the liability of repairing or reselling a used car. To maximize your donation, sell the car outright and donate the proceeds. Sorry to burst a feel-good bubble, but I have been involved with many charities in my life and this is a universal mandate now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts