Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '99 Sable has a leaky head gasket caused by a leaky water pump and running it low on coolant. The leak hasn't affected the oil and isn't leaking externally. It is going into the center front cylinder, indicated by an orange spark plug electrode. There appears to be some corrosion indicated by the orange color of the recovery tank. Also the insode of the recovery tank smells like exhaust. The car really runs pretty good and doesn't get warm unless the coolant gets too low.
Any advice about what I should look for do do durring this repair? How do I adjust the valves after reassembly?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
My '99 Sable has a leaky head gasket caused by a leaky water pump and running it low on coolant. The leak hasn't affected the oil and isn't leaking externally. It is going into the center front cylinder, indicated by an orange spark plug electrode. There appears to be some corrosion indicated by the orange color of the recovery tank. Also the inside of the recovery tank smells like exhaust. The car really runs pretty good and doesn't get warm unless the coolant gets too low.
Any advice about what I should look for do do during this repair? How do I adjust the valves after reassembly?
I would flush the motor first. Then clean it out with water. Then pull the heads off and take them to a machine shop for decking and check for warpage. Take the degass tank off and flush it. If its cracked, replace it.
back flush the heater core both directions. Check the heater core bypass
hose for any leaks of bad spots and repair or replace as needed.
Change the thermostat and water pump. Before you pull the heads off and
after your flush, i would take the water pump off (if its a Vulcan) and flush the block clear through the block access holes behind the water pump.
I would replace the pump if its got any miles on it. Its a Vulcan wear item

While you at it. take the fans off and the lower nose cover off. Then flush out the radiator cores and AC cores with a hose while your at it.

b

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
He pretty well covered most of it. Just remember when you put the new gasket in, get a set of new head bolts, and make sure you have a good torque wrench and a repair manual with the torque sequence. You want to do this right.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Is there a valve adjustment procedure, or do you just torque down the rockers?

i believe it is torque down the rockers because on the Vulcan motors they got rid of valve lash adjustment that was got rid of it. now on the duratech it is a tad harder to do and a real big p.i.t.a. to do.i think most of the ford motor you just torque them down now a lot of Chevy's / Pontiac's are requiring valve lash adjustments except the overhead cam models.

another step after being decked at a machine shop would be to presure test it and have them install the new valve seats etc valve and springs if needed. i klnow when i owend a t bird i had the presure testing done at mid five automovtive. on middle belt and five mile in michigan. but do not think your even in the state so you will have to check around at a few auto parts stores to find out who does what.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts