Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this car on Craigslist, just wondering if its going to be more of a headache then its worth. Guy states it has the single overhead cam engine. So what do you guys think?

DOES NOT RUN needs both head gaskets, plugs, and wires. trans shifted perfect car has about 135k miles on it, looks good in and out. $300 FIRM[/b]

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
There isn't a single overhead cam engine. It's either the Dual overhead cam- Duratec, or the overhead valve pushrod- Vulcan.

Head gaskets are easy on the Vulcan, not so much on the Duratec. I'd pick it up either way, especially if you can work on it yourself. It would make a decent beater.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I would say it's worth it to go and check I out, but idk if it would be worth it to fix it depending on how bad it is... Remember that car in running condition isn't work over 2000$, especially with that many miles

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah. Well he said "Its the 12 valve single overhead cam one, the easier one to do" when I asked what the model was and engine. He wasn't sure what model it was either. So doubt he has had the car long. Probably picked it up himself then decided he didn't want to mess with it.

I have been around cars my whole life, and am not afraid to do the job, just new to Fords.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
if you are planning on driving it for a very long time i would go for it it looks to have the vulcan one rust spot in the usual gen3/4 spot not at all bad for 300 put a couple hundred into it and should be a very decent car looks identicle to my old 97 i loved that car

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Ah. Well he said "Its the 12 valve single overhead cam one, the easier one to do" when I asked what the model was and engine. He wasn't sure what model it was either. So doubt he has had the car long. Probably picked it up himself then decided he didn't want to mess with it.

I have been around cars my whole life, and am not afraid to do the job, just new to Fords. [/b]
Yeah, it has the Vulcan. Head gasket replacement is fairly straight forward. Nothing fancy in there.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
So did you go look at it?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I have been around cars my whole life, and am not afraid to do the job, just new to Fords.
[/b]
If this car turns out to be a hunk of junk, don't let it taint your opinion of Ford!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts