Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got rid of my old Taurus about two weeks ago and have been casually browsing for a replacement. For the last week, I've kept my eye on this one 3rd gen Sable. Today, I finally called about it and got the info on it: It's blue, has 90,000 KM (55,000ish miles), new converters and no brakes at all from my understanding. The car itself is in very nice shape with no visible rust. I have looked over the car once already and checked the floors for rust and broken springs, everything looks in order, the body is very straight. I'm going to check it out in the morning and if it seems like a good deal I will probably buy it.

My main worry is that I won't be test driving it, since like I stated previously, it has no brakes. So, I can't really check to see how the transmission shifts, whether the engine has lots of life left, how straight it drives, etc...

It's probably going to need everything, including work on the lines before it's going to stop right again.

I'm going to start at $600 and go from there, I think that's a good deal for what it is, what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
that sounds like a fair place to start for a car that I guess doesn't exactly run/drive. What happened with the brakes? Lines rust out? What engine does it have?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that sounds like a fair place to start for a car that I guess doesn't exactly run/drive. What happened with the brakes? Lines rust out? What engine does it have?
I think the lines are rotted. My understanding is that it's basically steel on rotor and line issues, so I'm probably looking at a bit of brake work. I don't generally buy cars that work exactly right, I buy them as is, where is and go from there. I'm going to talk lower than the $600 since it probably needs some front end attention as well. I don't need the car for a few months, so I can get it all ready for the safety without deadlines.

I'm pretty sure it's just 12v, but I've seen 24v sables without the emblem, so here's to hoping!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I think the lines are rotted. My understanding is that it's basically steel on rotor and line issues, so I'm probably looking at a bit of brake work. I don't generally buy cars that work exactly right, I buy them as is, where is and go from there. I'm going to talk lower than the $600 since it probably needs some front end attention as well. I don't need the car for a few months, so I can get it all ready for the safety without deadlines.

I'm pretty sure it's just 12v, but I've seen 24v sables without the emblem, so here's to hoping!
My '96 came without badges and rotted rear brake lines. Got her for $500, down from $600 asked. Still had enough front brake to drive it home slowly and safely. A 25' roll of 3/16" steel line for 30 bucks later, she drove great. Good luck!

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My '96 came without badges and rotted rear brake lines. Got her for $500, down from $600 asked. Still had enough front brake to drive it home slowly and safely. A 25' roll of 3/16" steel line for 30 bucks later, she drove great. Good luck!
That's so odd. The car is a 96, 24v sable. The lines are screwed and the rest of the brakes are fine. It has disc rears. It has no A/C, floor shifter. It needs tie rods, end links and I think the control arms are new. The engine runs perfect, no pings, odd noises or anything. It has fresh oil and looking down into the vavle covers, you can tell that it probably is a very clean engine inside. There's no signs of rust in the cooling system and it needs a little patching in the rear rockers, but the doglegs are still good.

I bought the car for $500 today, down form $600. I am now the proud owner of a 24v sable. Pics will come later! :p

I didn't test drive it (stupid idea) but I did check and make sure the transmission would shift into DR12.

·
Registered
424 Posts
That's so odd. The car is a 96, 24v sable. The lines are screwed and the rest of the brakes are fine. It has disc rears. It has no A/C, floor shifter. It needs tie rods, end links and I think the control arms are new. The engine runs perfect, no pings, odd noises or anything. It has fresh oil and looking down into the vavle covers, you can tell that it probably is a very clean engine inside. There's no signs of rust in the cooling system and it needs a little patching in the rear rockers, but the doglegs are still good.

I bought the car for $500 today, down form $600. I am now the proud owner of a 24v sable. Pics will come later! :p

I didn't test drive it (stupid idea) but I did check and make sure the transmission would shift into DR12.
$500 is nothing. Do you mean the A/C doesn't work/get cold or it has no A/C at all? Afaik, even the Base model G had A/C. If it has the 24v, discs all around and a floor shifter than it's the higher end LS.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Dang, a high spec Sable with low miles. Good luck getting the maintenance done on it. Could be a great car for the long run...heck it has the chrome tips in the rear, gear shift indicator under the speedometer, articulating headrests. I'd say you did OK man!

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
$500 is nothing. Do you mean the A/C doesn't work/get cold or it has no A/C at all? Afaik, even the Base model G had A/C. If it has the 24v, discs all around and a floor shifter than it's the higher end LS.
The A/C doesn't work, it has it though. I would never buy a car without an A/C system, it's even odd for me to buy one without it working, but I didn't want to let the car go because of the engine in it. I have the tools to recharge the system, and I'm not talking about a $40 walmart kit. Refrigeration is a hobby of mine. I'll get that working in short order.

Dang, a high spec Sable with low miles. Good luck getting the maintenance done on it. Could be a great car for the long run...heck it has the chrome tips in the rear, gear shift indicator under the speedometer, articulating headrests. I'd say you did OK man!
I thought I did pretty good. It has all the chrome trim down the sides. I forgot to mention that it's partially leather, it has cloth inserts in the middle of the seats. It has climate control too, I didn't check for a CD changer yet. The interior would look like brand new with a slight detailing, the OE floor mats are even spotless. The trunk is clean too. All of the electronics function in the car, the only issue inside is that the dash has come undone above the cluster, but that can't be too hard to fix. Oh, and the hood latch handle is broken off.

I have compiled a list of known issues with it so far:

End links (old plastic)
Tie rod ends are really bad
Exhaust needs work, it has new cats but the muffler and rear portion of the pipe are completely rotted
No A/C
Swiss cheese brake lines
Rocker rot
Dash coming up
Broken hood latch

I'm gonna redo the front end in general, new brakes all around, cut, form and weld rockers up, replace any bad rear suspension components, replace part of the exhaust with muffler, new brake lines front to back, all new fluids, maybe a tune up and glue the dash down. Then I'll get to worrying about struts next fall maybe, they're pretty firm still. I'm fixing the A/C as soon as I find the issue with it. That should make it fly right through a safety. I don't think emissions will be an issue. I'm gonna let the car sit until after Christmas, then I'll get to work. I'll try and get pictures up soon. (In case you guys are wondering, it usually takes me about two months to get this sort of thing driving down the road.)

On a side note. Yesterday (when I bought the car) was exactly two years to the date when I picked up my red 99 for $600.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I love hearing stories about good used Taurii for under $1000, and $500 or less, even better. They are out there everywhere, just gotta find 'em! Nice snag, and good luck!

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I love hearing stories about good used Taurii for under $1000, and $500 or less, even better. They are out there everywhere, just gotta find 'em! Nice snag, and good luck!
Same. Last year around this time, I got my hands on a basically free red 97GL, no rust and nice paint. Tan interior, clean as hell. The syncro sheared and toasted the engine, that's why I ended up with it. I was first intending to use it for parts but after looking it over, I was ready to pull the engine and replace it. But I ran out of time and the guy who I was dealing with who gave me the car was diagnosed with terminal cancer a month or so after and I just didn't bother. I kind of regret it, it had new struts too. The guy died a few months back. It had about 85,000 miles.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The dash coming apart in the gen 3's is VERY common.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
V8SHO.com has the fix for the dash...involves some glue and clamps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts