Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well with my dad recently being promoted to one of the assistent fire chiefs in my town, and me being 18 now, I figured its time to join the fire department. I took my application to my work (menards) and had my manager sign it. Well about a week ago I asked one of the other managers about if I could leave work in case there was a fire call. This manager told me that yes I could because of the Good Samaritian Law. Well I went in tonight to have a different manager sign my papers and he said that he had no problem with me becoming a firefighter but there was no way that I could leave work to go perform my firefighter tasks. Which manager is technically right?

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
My employer doesn't allow volunteer firefighters to leave. I believe the old HR lady once told another FF he was more than welcome to leave for a call but that he shouldn't bother to come back. Basically it's seen as walking off the job. The new HR lady wouldn't be quite so rude but it's still the policy. That same FF was written up more than once for being late due to a call.

That's one of the reasons I had to leave the dept. - I spent too much time at work and could never put any time into the dept.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Wait, wtf....

You are volunteering to be a fire fighter. Someone who will risk a life to help save others in case of emergency (helping with a fire, etc)

A noble and good act.

But the employer is a **** about it??

Set the building on fire, and see how long it takes for the fire department to respond lol! :D

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait, wtf....

You are volunteering to be a fire fighter. Someone who will risk a life to help save others in case of emergency (helping with a fire, etc)

A noble and good act.

But the employer is a **** about it??

Set the building on fire, and see how long it takes for the fire department to respond lol! :D
[/b]
Basically you hit the nail on the head. My thought is if there is adequate help when the call is put out, they should be able to let me leave, also if the fire is a bad one and the department needs help.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
just for the record. i have yet to meet an ******* firefighter. :dunno:

back on topic. if your employed by an at will state your in for a long battle.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
If you're employed somewhere and scheduled, you're needed. Otherwise the employer would not take the time, money, and resources to train, schedule, and give you work to do. When an employer does this, they expect you to be there for your scheduled shifts and be there the whole time. That's something you agreed to when you started working there. If you can't hold up to your end of the bargain, they can't either.

It's a lot harder to get hired somewhere if you tell them that you WILL, without any notice, have to leave work on multiple occasions, be gone for an undetermined amount of time, and may be late, or not even able to show up for a shift.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Welcome to LIFE sometimes it sucks balls, and sometimes it's unfair, this is one of those times. I'd try talking to the higher-up's being as it's a chain franchise. Don't even mess with store level. Got district or even higher if you have to. IF, it's that important, you won't have a problem fighting for it. Get it in WRITING, that way if they do agree to let you, you can show the store poops.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts