Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got a rare and much deserved day off on Thursday, and I decided to spend it "browsing" at the nearest pick 'n' pull scrapyard. Yes, I'm hopelessly obsessed with cars; this is my idea of proper therapy... but I digress. What kinds of parts should I keep a look out for that might be worth taking and maybe putting up for sale on the forum? Anything really stand out that somebody's been looking for, that perhaps I can be of assistance? If I find stuff, I'll be glad to pull it and hold it pending a request to be shipped.

This floor is now open to the Taurus faithful...

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Brian, I'm looking for the gen 4 outer mirror covers in merlot (dark red) that were available on the 04 + Taurus/Sable models. Just need the covers.
Thanks!! :)

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Sweet! I would offer to join you, but Thursdays = workday from 7:30 AM to 6:30 PM or later (Today I got off around 8 PM...)

However, you wanna do me a favor?

Keep an eye out for Gen 4.5's, if you see them and they are SEL's, lemme know, I wanna try and harvest the Compass and Outside air temp sensor and their wiring harnesses.

Also, what I do need, is the mounting brackets for the CD Changer, and the lining for it for the trunk. Gen4's are different than Gen3 for that. See them, get it. I am just too lazy to go really, but if the Compass and OAT sensors are in a Taurus, that might be enough to drag me out to the junkyard :)

I wanna see if I can merge it into my Taurus SE. I don't want that mirror option... Inside my Instrument Cluster would look 1423894782389047823890471234895789x sexier than the mirror. :wub:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I need a couple G4 wheels w/ tire attached.

The problem is I can only pick up, plus I'll be doing a search of my own Thursday morning. So you by no means have to look for me, because I can't promise I'll be able to get them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
you sir have a PM

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
QUOTE (TaurusKev @ Jun 10 2009, 11:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731519
Sweet! I would offer to join you, but Thursdays = workday from 7:30 AM to 6:30 PM or later (Today I got off around 8 PM...)

However, you wanna do me a favor?

Keep an eye out for Gen 4.5's, if you see them and they are SEL's, lemme know, I wanna try and harvest the Compass and Outside air temp sensor and their wiring harnesses.

Also, what I do need, is the mounting brackets for the CD Changer, and the lining for it for the trunk. Gen4's are different than Gen3 for that. See them, get it. I am just too lazy to go really, but if the Compass and OAT sensors are in a Taurus, that might be enough to drag me out to the junkyard :)

I wanna see if I can merge it into my Taurus SE. I don't want that mirror option... Inside my Instrument Cluster would look 1423894782389047823890471234895789x sexier than the mirror. :wub:[/b]

Kev, What I'm doing is using the temp in my gauges and I just bought a autodim with compass so I can have BOTH at the same time. :thumb:

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was somewhat successful in my endeavor; no Merlot cars (sorry, Gerry), no SEL's or units with CD changers (no dice, Kev), and the Gen 4 alloys were there, but very badly damaged (sorry, not this time Orange). I did, however, find 12 Gen 2, Gen 3 & Gen 4 Taurii and Sables at the large pick 'n' pull down south by some railroad tracks. Not a pretty day, as the gloomy rainy weather made the whole scrapyard into a mudbath. I'll post pics of the cars I found shortly; some of the recent WTB posters should be very pleased. I will send PM's to those who may have lucked out on parts that I found. I've also found a nice quantity of Gen 2's with their column shifters intact, for those who have an interest in trying Dave Roman's shifter swap. This weekend, BTW, they are having a "clearance sale" of sorts; for a flat yard-entry fee, you can take just about anything out of there for free. (Kev, you're welcome to come along then and have a look around with me. Send me a PM if you'd be up for that) I will almost certainly be going back, now that the initial "recon" is done with. So fear not- your part needs might be met very soon. I will take any requests people have by PM until Saturday morning at 9am CT, after which I will be leaving for the scrapyard.

Pics: Every Taurus and Sable that I found is shown below- except for a berry-red colored Gen 2 Sable that was too far down in one of the rows for me to reach today. It was in roughly the same condition as the green Gen 2 Sable that is shown here.

[attachment=29777:IMG_0446.JPG]

[attachment=29776:IMG_0447.JPG]

[attachment=29778:IMG_0448.JPG]

[attachment=29779:IMG_0449.JPG]

[attachment=29780:IMG_0450.JPG]

[attachment=29781:IMG_0451.JPG]

[attachment=29782:IMG_0452.JPG]

[attachment=29783:IMG_0453.JPG]

[attachment=29784:IMG_0455.JPG]

[attachment=29785:IMG_0456.JPG]

[attachment=29786:IMG_0457.JPG]

Seems kind of spooky there, doesn't it? It honestly felt just like walking down a cemetery path.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
They couldn't put down some gravel? Gees. What a mess there.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
The pick and pull here is packed gravel.

All the cars are sit up in the air using a wheel welded to a wheel in four places.
How do you get to suspension parts?

Mike
B)

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are several fork trucks around the lot, with drivers waiting around. If you want something from underneath or inside, they'll pull it for you. Small fee for the work, but it beats just trying to break some of that stuff loose with a BFH.

And there is some gravel, but mostly just heavily-packed dirt so the bigger forklift tractors can get a grip. On a day when it isn't pouring rain, the yard is much more pleasant to navigate.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Aw horse ****. Yeah, I figured Gen4.5's are gunna take awhile to show up in junkyards. They are too perfect and amazing.

Thanks for looking though :)

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Any time I see pictures like this, I imagine when some of those cars were new. The soon-to-be owner and salesperson negotiating over price, options, credit, etc. Then they finalize, the person walks outside and there it is. X amount of years later and that same piece of machinery they worked so hard to keep looking nice and payed all those monthly payments on......it's just rotting away in a muddy yard waiting for people to pull parts off of it, and for it to ultimately be crushed. Seems almost eerie, until you realize just how many of those cars there are.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
QUOTE (RichmondParkway @ Jun 11 2009, 10:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731740
Any time I see pictures like this, I imagine when some of those cars were new. The soon-to-be owner and salesperson negotiating over price, options, credit, etc. Then they finalize, the person walks outside and there it is. X amount of years later and that same piece of machinery they worked so hard to keep looking nice and payed all those monthly payments on......it's just rotting away in a muddy yard waiting for people to pull parts off of it, and for it to ultimately be crushed. Seems almost eerie, until you realize just how many of those cars there are.[/b]
:werd: MY sediments exactly. True-er words have not been said.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
QUOTE (RichmondParkway @ Jun 11 2009, 09:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731740
Any time I see pictures like this, I imagine when some of those cars were new. The soon-to-be owner and salesperson negotiating over price, options, credit, etc. Then they finalize, the person walks outside and there it is. X amount of years later and that same piece of machinery they worked so hard to keep looking nice and payed all those monthly payments on......it's just rotting away in a muddy yard waiting for people to pull parts off of it, and for it to ultimately be crushed. Seems almost eerie, until you realize just how many of those cars there are.[/b]

Dude, wtf, that just made me depressed... :(

Because I was a soon-to-be-owner of my Taurus SE, and my salesman Greg at Larry Roesch Ford.... That beautiful Windveil blue Ford Taurus SE, with the Window sticker sitting there, waiting for the owner to take it home, each day in the same spot, every now and then getting a car wash to hopefully attract a buyer, when I found her, shining at me, as an expired model, to be pushed out for all the 2006's. All the negotiating, test driving, all the self inspections during the test drive and at the dealer lot, financing, all the papers I signed, all the work I've done for her to keep it from being a repo'd car. Never missing a single payment with Ford, all the fun amazing times I've had with it so far, each mile I've put on, all the bad times it stood by... And to think, it could one day end up in that spot :(

:(

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just don't ever crash your SE, and all will be well. :p

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I Don't intend on hurting her, so I should be safe. Only IL hurting her at the moment with all it's road salt in the Winter :angry:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I appreciate the effort. I still need two more for the record, I'll probably try again Sunday. Wednesday I hunted through the pic a part in rain. Not fun, but I got another wheel. Thursday I found some on a Windstar or some van, but couldn't get them off to save my life. I was depressed. For some reason, the wheels spin freely, so it is a pain to get them off. I'm sure someone can tell me why that is.

I echo the thinking of the car's past. I also ponder why they would put an ambulance in there...

Last complaint. I hate when you see people hauling out like 10 wheels. They could have one I need, and they are probably just going to sell it for more.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Jam the seat forwards with a long piece of metal pushing on the brake pedal, or mash the e-brake (or pull up hard if a handbrake).

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is the "shopping list" I'll be taking with to the scrapyard in the morning, with what has been requested by various members:

1. Gen 3-4 Spruce Green driver's door handle w/ keypad, 95-99 Sentra driver's visor & passenger's side mirror (already gone before I went)- thesavo

2. Gen 4 cowling cover (mounting points were destroyed; it wouldn't be usable), Gen 4 driver's side rocker molding- SilverThunder

3. Gen 4 driver's side rocker molding- joed

4. Gen 3 12V auxiliary power point (was torn out already), Gen 3 package tray w/ subwoofer hole (none found; only 97+)- don2775

5. Gen 2 column-shift levers (They were all damaged or gone when I arrived; I guess somebody else who's local must be trying this mod? :( )- Not requested, but for anyone who wants to try the shifter swap that Bull Geek and Daveromanjr already did.

EDIT- I did not receive any other requests, so this was my whole pick 'n' pull shopping list for Saturday. If your part(s) is listed above in green, then I found it. Please send me a PM regarding purchase and shipping arrangements. If it's shown in red, then I couldn't get the item from this particular scrapyard. If you would like, I will retain the list above and continue searching for the parts shown in red.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
i don;t know about your pick and pull's but sentra's are very hard to come by here.

pm sent brian.

edit: :lol2: the only correct spelling Bryan. :lol2:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts