Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.gmail.com

It's still in beta, but after reading the FAQ, I want on that asap. It would be awsome to have all that storage and not have to delete my e-mails. Not to mention the searching feature, and the ability to view e-mails like converstations. Looks like it's going to be great. I wish it would come out soon.

And no, it's not an april fool's joke. I saw a screensot of it somewhere, but can't find the link anymore...

·
Registered
359 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
All popular web-based email services read your emails, too, through their spam-filter systems. It's just an automated program, no biggie.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Originally posted by Mantioch@Apr 2 2004, 08:42 AM
Don't be too quick to jump on this...

Google plans to read your mail
HAHAHAHA. If you actually think Mantioch that Google employees will be physically reading the thousands and then MILLIONS of e-mails that will inevitably be flying through it's Gmail system, then OMG! WTF! LOL !!11!!11

-mobiuslogic

·
Registered
359 Posts
Originally posted by mobiuslogic+Apr 2 2004, 03:45 PM-->QUOTE (mobiuslogic @ Apr 2 2004, 03:45 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Mantioch
@Apr 2 2004, 08:42 AM
Don't be too quick to jump on this...

Google plans to read your mail
HAHAHAHA. If you actually think Mantioch that Google employees will be physically reading the thousands and then MILLIONS of e-mails that will inevitably be flying through it's Gmail system, then OMG! WTF! LOL !!11!!11

-mobiuslogic[/b]
Dude, chill. No, I just put that out there to make people aware. How about targeted spam based on scans of your personal mail.

http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/8337390.htm

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who is going to spam you? Google? Doubtful if they want to keep you using their system. And it says in their policy that they won't give your information to any 3rd parties. So personalized spam is out of the question.

How many people use hotmail? Have you ever read their privacy policy? It makes googles look tame in comparison.

Here are a few exerpts from http://privacy.msn.com/

At some sites, MSN collects personal information, such as your e-mail address, name, home or work address or telephone number. MSN may also collect demographic information, such as your ZIP code, age, gender, preferences, interests and favorites. Information collected by MSN may be combined with information obtained from other Microsoft services and other companies.[/b]
Your registration information is used to operate the site, for demographic statistics, and to display appropriate individualized advertisements. New users will receive a Hotmail welcome letter explaining the features provided by the service. Hotmail may also send periodic member letters, from which you may not unsubscribe without closing your account, to announce important service changes, new features, technical issue updates and information about other products and services.[/b]

I wonder why I haven't heard any fuss over hotmail....

·
Registered
663 Posts
I think Google is still in the safe zone. Most people should understand the difference between someguy reading their emails and an automated program picking out keywords in their emails.

Google wouldn't risk their godly internet reputation to make some quick bucks by selling info to spammers. I know I wouldn't if I were Google.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think what it's all about is key words will be read from your e-mails to make targeted ad banners.
Or are they not having ad banners? I haven't really paid a whole lot of attention.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, their servers will look for keywords in your e-mail for the adwords that will be displayed when checking your e-mail. That is going to be *the only* advertisements on that site.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Say what ya want about Hotmail, I've had it since the 9th grade and I'm attached to it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts