J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Details:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/n..._nm/autos_gm_dc

GM Recalls 4 Million Pickups 
Thu Mar 18,11:23 AM ET

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - news) on Thursday said it will recall more than 4 million full-size pickup trucks to replace tailgate support cables that may corrode and fracture.

The massive recall, one of the largest in eight years, counters recent claims of improved quality at the world's largest automaker.

About 3.7 million of the recalled vehicles are in the United States, 325,000 are in Canada, and 93,000 are in Mexico. The recall includes certain 2000-2004 Chevrolet Silverados and GMC Sierras as well as some 2002-2004 Chevrolet Avalanche and Cadillac Escalade EXT trucks.

GM has reported 430 complaints of one or both of the tailgate support cables breaking on the trucks, which became the target of an upgraded investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (news - web sites) late last month.

In a statement on Thursday, GM also reported 134 "minor injuries" linked to the tailgate problem, which it earlier identified as the source of more than 61,000 warranty claims.

No crashes or fatalities have been reported due to the faulty tailgates, GM said.

GM has recalled roughly 7 million vehicles due to potential safety problems since the start of February, including the full-size pickups which account for a huge chunk of its automotive profits.

The recalls, while not uncommon for a mass market automaker, run counter to recent assertions that GM's quality has improved dramatically.

Consumer Reports magazine, citing responses from 675,000 of its readers, said earlier this month that U.S. automakers have edged ahead of their European competitors in new vehicle quality. However, the magazine, which is consulted by an estimated 30 percent to 40 percent of U.S. car buyers, said that the average new Big Three model still has 50 percent more serious problems than Asian cars and trucks.

GM shares were down 44 cents at $46.05 in early trade on the New York Stock Exchange (news - web sites).

GM said it will replace the steel support cables with stainless steel cables at no cost to customers. However, due to the large number of vehicles involved in the recall, replacement cables will not be available immediately. GM said it won't notify consumers of the recall until sometime beginning in the third quarter of this year.[/b]

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Until the third quarter?! Wow, GM is really goofing things up big time. You know, with recalls like these, you wonder if these cars really ARE tested or not? Apparently Acura had a big recall on their 5-speed auto transmissions on the CLs.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn, got to wonder which kinda of monkies are testing these cars....

all I know is that I need to kill the one that tested mine

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
At least they are, right??

A good friend of mine was shopping for an SUV today; she was split between an Envoy and an Escape. These recalls are pretty much why I told her to buy the Escape (a beautiful maroon one with the Duratec, at that!)

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Let me see if I get this right:

430 complaints out of 4,000,000 recalled vehicles = .01% rate of incident

For us V8 SHO owners...

374 (minimum) camshaft failures out of less than 20,000 vehicles produced = 1.9% rate of incident

So, even though the V8 SHO engines have failed 200 times more frequently than these trucks from GM, Ford claims the SHO is a minor problem with only a small number of vehicles affected...

I still like the recall last year which was caused by a handful of people pinching their fingers... oh no <_<

I'd rather pinch a finger than have my car's engine self-destruct any day of the week!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by spragers@Mar 19 2004, 11:48 PM
Let me see if I get this right:

430 complaints out of 4,000,000 recalled vehicles = .01% rate of incident

For us V8 SHO owners...

374 (minimum) camshaft failures out of less than 20,000 vehicles produced = 1.9% rate of incident

So, even though the V8 SHO engines have failed 200 times more frequently than these trucks from GM, Ford claims the SHO is a minor problem with only a small number of vehicles affected...

I still like the recall last year which was caused by a handful of people pinching their fingers... oh no <_<

I'd rather pinch a finger than have my car's engine self-destruct any day of the week!
I'm certainly not saying they shouldn't issue a recall or defending them... but...

Those GM trucks were much more widely produced and haven't been discontinued. Ford would be fixing a problem on an engine that is not longer made and was only used for 4 years in (relatively speaking) very few cars. I can understand their logic, even though I absolutely don't agree with it. I don't know why they don't just offer to weld people's cams. It can't possibly cost them that much especially since a lot of people with never find out or bother to take their car in.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
Hey Spragers, especially a $10,000+ (new of course) engine at that! Thats like a "major injury" in most peoples wallets.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Can Ford even MAKE the V-8 SHO motor anymore?

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
I agree, if it was my money I was dishing out for a recall, I'd do everything in my power to avoid it. But it's Ford's money, and they made a defective part, so pay up
(and yes, I bought the car knowing full well I'd be paying for a cam weld, but the price and condition were too good...)

To me the issue isn't that the engine is already discontinued (last I heard, a new long block from the dealer was something like $13 or $15,000, except that you couldn't get one even if you wanted one...), it's that they're trying so hard to avoid the problem. I even side a bit with Ford on the whole Crown Vic fire issue - don't get me wrong, I think it's horrible that officers have died that way - but as one article stated, how many vehicles are designed to take a 75mph collision and not have something terrible happen? Most smaller cars would have crushed the officers to death instead. It's like those people who sued because the seats in their Explorer couldn't handle a 70mph hit from behind. Sue the b******s that rear-ended you, morons!

.....I fear I have hijacked this thread

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Originally posted by spragers@Mar 20 2004, 04:27 PM
I agree, if it was my money I was dishing out for a recall, I'd do everything in my power to avoid it. But it's Ford's money, and they made a defective part, so pay up
(and yes, I bought the car knowing full well I'd be paying for a cam weld, but the price and condition were too good...)

To me the issue isn't that the engine is already discontinued (last I heard, a new long block from the dealer was something like $13 or $15,000, except that you couldn't get one even if you wanted one...), it's that they're trying so hard to avoid the problem. I even side a bit with Ford on the whole Crown Vic fire issue - don't get me wrong, I think it's horrible that officers have died that way - but as one article stated, how many vehicles are designed to take a 75mph collision and not have something terrible happen? Most smaller cars would have crushed the officers to death instead. It's like those people who sued because the seats in their Explorer couldn't handle a 70mph hit from behind. Sue the b******s that rear-ended you, morons!

LOL...guess I'm not alone bout the vic and explorer lawsuits. I have to compeltly agree with spragers, they are a load of

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Nick986+Mar 20 2004, 07:05 PM-->QUOTE (Nick986 @ Mar 20 2004, 07:05 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-spragers
@Mar 20 2004, 04:27 PM
I agree, if it was my money I was dishing out for a recall, I'd do everything in my power to avoid it.  But it's Ford's money, and they made a defective part, so pay up

To me the issue isn't that the engine is already discontinued (last I heard, a new long block from the dealer was something like $13 or $15,000, except that you couldn't get one even if you wanted one...), it's that they're trying so hard to avoid the problem.  I even side a bit with Ford on the whole Crown Vic fire issue - don't get me wrong, I think it's horrible that officers have died that way - but as one article stated, how many vehicles are designed to take a 75mph collision and not have something terrible happen?  Most smaller cars would have crushed the officers to death instead.  It's like those people who sued because the seats in their Explorer couldn't handle a 70mph hit from behind.  Sue the b******s that rear-ended you, morons!

LOL...guess I'm not alone bout the vic and explorer lawsuits. I have to compeltly agree with spragers, they are a load of
[/b]
You're definitely not alone... I agree with you guys, too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts