Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today was the GM Auto Show in Motion, which is basically just a huge test driving event. I drove many cars today, including a Z06, GTO (manual and auto), Bonneville, Grand Prix GTP, CTS, BMW325i, F-150, Expedition, Suburban, Sierra (gasoline and diesel), Chevy SSR, H2, Escalade, Maxima, Monte Carlo SS, and several others. It was basically just a "here are all our cars, and the cars of our competitors...come see how much better ours are!"

It was a ton of fun...they basically just let you go buck a$$ wild on a short twisty course and feel the capabilites of the cars. I'm running on 3 hours of sleep, and can't stay awake now, but tomorrow or Sunday, I'll do a write-up of each car individually...

JR

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So...

Write-ups on all the cars I drove:

2004 Corvette Z06: There really isn't much you can say about this car, besides that it's insanely fast and corners like it's on rails....enough said.

Chevy SSR: Kinda lame...fast though and corners well. Interior looks like my little brother designed it. Suspension is pretty soft for a "sport truck" and no manual transmission.

Pontiac GTO (manual): The manual version of this car has a very slushy six-speed gearbox that feels downright terrible. The clutch is very easy to use, and is relatively difficult to stall. Overall, the car handles the twisties pretty well, and makes up time in it's quick 0-60-0 accel/decel capabilities. As I said, though, the gearbox is not precise at all, and it's relatively difficult to find third gear.

GTO (auto): The auto version of this car wasn't as bad as I thought it was. It was actually a little better than the manual, although it could just have felt better because I could focus more on driving than planning my shifts. Once you take the traction control off on both versions, the car is very easy to drift in corners and makes for a much more fun drive. I thought my girlfriend was going to pee her pants when I downshifted to second and dropped the clutch (obviously the manual), then pull the e-brake. It was fun to drift this car though, although it could use better brakes.

Chevy Monte Carlo SS (Supercharged): This car was probably one of the best cars I drove all day. It was quick in and out of the corners, handled very well (was very neutral), and the transmission didn't feel as though it was about to fall apart, nor did the trans make either clunky or slow shifts. The shifts were nice and firm, yet smooth, and it downshifted where it should have. Overall, I think the best car I drove...

Hummer H2: It was an off-road suspension test course, and not only did you do the whoops, but you also did a steeply banked right turn and an ascent and decent of a relatively steep hill. It was fun, but they really didn't let you move at all, for obvious reasons. The H2 was fun to drive for what we did in it, but I couldn't imagine trying to drive that in Philly...not to mention that it's ugly as sin outside and in...

BMW 325i: Very fun car to drive. Very neutral, very fast. In and out of turns like it was nobody's business. That was the first time I had ever driven a Bimmer, and I was very impressed. The car felt like it was SUPPOSED to be turning, not like it was being made to. I felt very comfortable going fast and turning sharply in this car. Good time...

Trucks:
The F-150 is the best truck I've ever driven. Hands down, it turns, accelerates, decelerates, and just plain feels better and more solid than any other truck out there. I drove two versions of the GMC Sierra, which was nice, the Colorado, Canyon, and the Toyota Tacoma. The Tacoma is the worst feeling truck I've driven. The thing was a total piece of a$$. It didn't accelerate, it didn't turn, it didn't brake (well, it might very well break)...it was just pitiful. I couldn't believe that Toyota is trying so hard to achieve market share with such a crappy truck. I HATE GM, but can say that the Colorado and the Canyon, which are the same truck, feel much better than the Tacoma, but the F-150 (which is slightly bigger than those, they compete with the Ranger), feels 1000% better than any of them. The interior of the F-150 is also very nice, and the ride is refined, yet still very truck-like. You still feel the road and feel the torsional rigidity of the road, yet it's definitely more...refined than the previous generations of F-series...

SUVS:
What can I say...the Escalade is the Escalade...bling freaking bling. The SUV is incredible inside. The engine is powerful and quick. You can't corner worth a damn, but with dubs, you don't need to turn. The heated seats feel oh so nice on the posterior portion of one's anatomy. The On-star and XM radio are very nice touches, but unfortunately, they didn't have any of the On-Star mobile phone accounts charged, so I couldn't make any calls.
The enw generation of Expeditions are also very nice. I'm partial to them, but to tell you the truth, the Escalade is nice. It also costs $20K more and is aimed at a different target market segment. The Expedition is very nice inside and out, and handles itself much better than the previous generation Expeditions. The engine is still incredibly torquey and is quick off the line. The factory leather feels very good and is nice and comfy, however, the Ford sound system is lacking. It did have a rear DVD player though, but we didn't have any DVDs for our 2 minute trip.

This is really long, and I'm at work, so I'll continue later in another post.

If you've driven any of these vehicles, please post your thoughts on them...

JR

1 - 2 of 2 Posts