Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, the title is not the full story. My glovebox latch mechanism has basically come apart, leaving the glovebox locked shut, and the key doesn't work. I can insert the key, but the mechanism just spins, and does not actually operate the latch. How do I get the glovebox open so that I can repair the broken latch?

I need to be able to open it in such a way thatI do not damage the interior? I am open to any suggestions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What if you purchased the latch mechanisim from Ford, then took a pry bar and just busted the thing open? You would only be out the cost of the mechanisim (probably big $$, since it comes from Ford). I had a similar situation on my '85 Tbird, and that is what I did.

Don't start until you have the new part, or you will wind up with an ugly mess flopping around until you get the new latch installed.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't care about damaging the glovebox if it came to that, but I would rather not, and I definitely do not want to risk damaging my dash.

The thing I might be worried about with just prying it open is damaging the dash, and or pulling the catch out with the latch. It is possible to loosen the hinge? If I could get the hinge loose, I might be able to reach around it and operate the latch from the inside. I just hate to force it, because knowing my luck, it will break more than I bargained for. I do need to get some spare keys made up, maybe I should see if they can give me an estimate.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Yeah, i was wondering if you could loosen the bottom enough to get a tool or your hand inside to unlatch? If latch gets damaged, that too is prob. available at pick n pull.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts