Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once the temperature pulls out of the negatives, I am going to change my spark plugs and wires. My question is which bolt on the Vulcan do you loosen so that the engine will pitch forward so that I can remove/install the back 3 plugs. I searched for the answer and Couldn't find anything. A picture would be helpful.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
yeah you have a 3.0L

it ans esay job just remove the plastic cap coverir the back end and you have acess to the 3 back plus this is not a gm 3.1 3.3 where you had to remove the front dog bone to have acess to the rear plug

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Get creative with some extensions and a flex socket, and you won't have to bother taking your engine apart. Work from the sides of the car not in front of it for cylinders 1-3.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
i have a 3.8 and i can do it lol

so im dure you can do it with your 3.0L engine

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another quick question, since the vulcan does not have aluminum heads or block, do you still have to use anti seize lubricant on the threads of the spark plug.

·
Registered
82 Posts
the hardest part for me was to open the clip that hold the wires together in the back of the engine. I was literally standing on top of the block to get it open. Plugs are easy without removing anything.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Another quick question, since the vulcan does not have aluminum heads or block, do you still have to use anti seize lubricant on the threads of the spark plug.
[/b]
Only if you want to get the plugs out again. Always use a little dab of anti-seize, especially on aluminum heads. Sometimes rims (alloy and steel) will stick on to the rotor/drum as well.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
If you're also replacing the wires, why try and access the clip from "back there"? Pull the whole bundle out from "back there" and then open the clip. You can still do them one at a time. Then when you get them swapped, fish the whole thing back through the way you took it out, and plug them back in, soooooo simple. Work smart, not hard.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
i canged all three rear plugs on my tec without removing anything and i have the wonderful COP's that are annoying

·
Registered
834 Posts
I did it on my vulcan without removing the cowl. Like BullGeek says...have a few different size extensions and work from the sides. I dreaded doing the job for a week before I actually bit the bullet. I said to myself..."if you can reach out back and pull the wire off the plug...then you can change the plug...needless to say I was able to pull every wire off the 3 back plugs. When I put the new plugs in...I placed the new plug in the spark plug socket (it holds them nice and snug)...started the plug by hand...attached an extension to the socket...then attached the socket wrench to the extension. I found it hard to maneuver the wrench with the extension and socket attached in that tight of an area. Hope that helps ya a little.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you're also replacing the wires, why try and access the clip from "back there"? Pull the whole bundle out from "back there" and then open the clip. You can still do them one at a time. Then when you get them swapped, fish the whole thing back through the way you took it out, and plug them back in, soooooo simple. Work smart, not hard.
[/b]
the clip on my car is attached to the engine block. I tried taking it off but it did not want to budge.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
They should be attached to the valve cover bolts, and the rear portion of the intake manifold. Pull the whole clip, the three wires and all UP toward the top of the car, and it WILL all come off.

·
Registered
82 Posts
They should be attached to the valve cover bolts, and the rear portion of the intake manifold. Pull the whole clip, the three wires and all UP toward the top of the car, and it WILL all come off.
[/b]
that's good to know for the next time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts