Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I strongly believed that my TCC (Torque Converter Clutch) Solenoid was bad in the '95 Olds Achieva, judging by the car's symptoms and what I've read online about the issue.

I thought about having the trans flushed in an effort to cure the issue, but I decided that I'd be really pissed if I spent the money on having that done and it didnt fix it. Better to fix it right the first time. I stopped by a trans shop today and the guy ran a diagnostic on it and confirmed my diagnosis. It is only going to cost $160 to replace it, and that includes replacing the filter, pan gasket, and fluid (all of which I've already bought).

The other jackass shop I stopped by wanted well over $100 (about $150 IIRC) to just flush the trans. He said that any problem the trans has is not fixable and the trans will need to be replaced. IDIOT! I am so glad I know more about cars than that. I will never go back to that guy again.

The guy who just did the diag and test drive of the car (the place where its getting fixed) said that other than this issue, the trans feels good and solid, he feels like it has a lot of life left in it and once this problem is fixed along with new fluid/filter, it should be in really good shape and give me no further problems.

It feels good to be right about this! It also feels good to know better than to get ripped off by the guy at the other shop. Its supposed to go in tomorow morning, I'll let you guys know the results.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
160 isn't too bad if they are replacing the TCC Solenoid.

And speaking of fluid changes... I gotta change mine in my AX4N...

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
160 isn't too bad if they are replacing the TCC Solenoid.

And speaking of fluid changes... I gotta change mine in my AX4N... [/b]

Well after making a big stink about being there before 9AM, the guy doesnt bother to call and tell me that 1st, the parts wont be there until the afternoon and 2nd, he's going to a funeral and wont be back until tomorow. Kinda irritating.

Plus, I had one tire that was in poor shape compared to the other three. It was dry rotted and nearly bald. So, rather than spend money for brand new tires for these ugly 14" steelies with poverty caps, I decided to throw a used tire on it for now. I'd rather spend money to upgrade the wheels and tires at the same time (find a nice set of rims with good tires for a good price). Anyway, I get a matching GoodYear tire put on the car, drive home, the weight falls off and in a few hours, its flat! I went back and got it fixed today. Pretty damn irritating. I'm trying to improve the car while I have the money, but it getting to be frustrating. The only other thing it needs is probably front struts, it bounces a lot, more than it should IMO. They're probably originals.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The verdict:

MORE than just the TCCS is wrong with the transmission (although it is a big part of the problem). Guy says I'll be lucky to get another 1,000 miles out of it.

I drove it home, its shifting fine but still doing the same thing it was (he flushed the fluid and put a new filter in it since the pan was already off). Obvoiusly they didnt put the solenoid in it, says it isnt worth the trouble because there were metal pieces in the bottom of the trans pan. He said the transmssion has been abused for a long time. I told him when I bought the car, and he said there is no way that I did this to it, this is a problem thats been there for quite a while. Probably why the car was traded in to begin with.

I'm just sick about it, I dont know what to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts