Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone. the MBQuart project still has one more difficult point that I'm a little nervous about. I need to get at least one more set of speaker wires into the front doors. I don't think to look at it that the passenger's side is going to be too much trouble, I should be able to fish a wire through there. but on teh driver's side. there is that large plastic box, which has a connector in it. I know it can be disconnected by undoing the bolt on top, but has anyone been able to get speaker wires into this door? I'm sure it has been done before, anyone who has done it let me know how you did it, where did you route the wire, any pointers or tips you might have to make it go smoothly. I've been thinking about this part of thr project for a while, I think its not going to be easy to get wires in there. so if anyone has done it, please give me any info or advice.
thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I've tried and I've been unable to get speaker wire into the doors. You could start pulling stuff off and be able to fish the wire through, but you'd probably need to pull a bunch of stuff off, including the kick panel, since you can't get to the wire loom that runs through the black flex hose with the kick panel there...

JR

**Edit** 1000 posts! Hooray for me! :chili: :chili: :chili:

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by mcgilles@Aug 16 2004, 02:29 PM
hi everyone. the MBQuart project still has one more difficult point that I'm a little nervous about. I need to get at least one more set of speaker wires into the front doors. I don't think to look at it that the passenger's side is going to be too much trouble, I should be able to fish a wire through there. but on teh driver's side. there is that large plastic box, which has a connector in it. I know it can be disconnected by undoing the bolt on top, but has anyone been able to get speaker wires into this door? I'm sure it has been done before, anyone who has done it let me know how you did it, where did you route the wire, any pointers or tips you might have to make it go smoothly. I've been thinking about this part of thr project for a while, I think its not going to be easy to get wires in there. so if anyone has done it, please give me any info or advice.
thanks!
You should be able to run a cable with the flex tube in-between the door and the body, then down along the door, and then up through the bottom. Hightecredneck did this when he replaced his speakers I believe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
About a month ago I ran into the same problem when I was installing my Boston acoustics component set. The passenger door is simple, just push the wire through the jacket. I ran 12 gauge wire through the door on the driver's side by actually removing the door and drilling a hole through just below where that big plastic connector is. This seemed to work well since the 12 gauge wire will not fit through that connector. Also, with the door off, it makes life easier for pulling wires through that area of the car. The wires ran through the jacket on the drivers side all the way until the just where I drilled. A lot of car audio wire has good insulation so it should be alright. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
I just a little while ago got 16 gauge speaker wire in the driver door. On that connector, theres a small hole right against the door toward you when your looking at it. its not part of the regular bunch of wires, some separate hole there that I just found and fed the wire through. My car is a 96 sable gs, cant say i would know if its the same for you, but what you described sounds the same as mine. I have yet to pull that damn sleeve back up where it was though. Those things are a pain in the ass :blink: .

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by 96_sab_gs@Aug 16 2004, 05:30 PM
I just a little while ago got 16 gauge speaker wire in the driver door. On that connector, theres a small hole right against the door toward you when your looking at it. its not part of the regular bunch of wires, some separate hole there that I just found and fed the wire through. My car is a 96 sable gs, cant say i would know if its the same for you, but what you described sounds the same as mine. I have yet to pull that damn sleeve back up where it was though. Those things are a pain in the ass :blink: .
you wouldn't happen to have a picture of that would you? I'll look for it either way, but a pic would be great.

thanks for the awesome suggestions everyone, hopefully there are enough good ideas here that I should be able to get at least one of them to work. keep the ideas coming though if anyone has any others.
thanks again!

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
i cut a small hole in the frame side of the tubes, fed my speaker wire through there, then put conduit over the existing and sealed it up and cut a small notch in the door frame for the conduit. the conduit (came w/my amp wiring kit) makes it look pretty good, i barely notice it

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Aug 17 2004, 06:16 AM
By conduit you mean flex tubing? Such as the stuff that Hightecredneck and Firespirit have covering their plug wires?

JR
rgr, sry :)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by golovko@Aug 16 2004, 02:43 PM
You should be able to run a cable with the flex tube in-between the door and the body, then down along the door, and then up through the bottom. Hightecredneck did this when he replaced his speakers I believe.
You are correct my good man. :D For the passenger door I was able to pull them through the whole boot between the door and body but obviously not on the driver door. I had planned to do the driver door like Spridget but was going to take more time then I cared to spend on it and I also didn't want to untwist my speaker cable (the blue and clear in the picture) so I could do this. I just ran it half way through the boot from inside the car to right about below where the connector starts and then used one of the holes already in the boot to pull the cables out of the boot. I then just routed them behind the hinge so they won't get pinched or cut by the door and whaala!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
As long as you are careful pulling the cabled through the drain hole at the bottom of the door and don't strip them at all you shouldn't have any problems with corrosion or water in the future. It really isn't nearly as noticeable as it looks in the picture and if you position your cables well it won't block much of that drain hole either.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
i cut a hole in the body-side plastic tubing (see posts above), and wrapped the wire in a flex-tube then cut a small notch out of the door panel for this thing to fit through...

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
I thought about running it between the door and the door panel like you did but i didn't want to cut any notches or holes in the door panel if i could avoid that.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I too have found my favorite way, and your replies remind me that I was working on a write up for it, since its pretty inventive. its easy, and requires no modification, and is comletely invisible....

excuse my crappy red drawing, just don't have time to do it right today haha.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
the notch is right near the area where that cable rests now, and is impossible to see unless you stick your head up there with the door open. if i remember, i'll get pics w/the door on

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by j0rd4n@Aug 27 2004, 12:37 PM
the notch is right near the area where that cable rests now, and is impossible to see unless you stick your head up there with the door open. if i remember, i'll get pics w/the door on
I don't doubt that. I'm sure it looks good i just didn't do it that way thinking what if i removed it in the future their would be a hole/notch left behind but if you don't plan on removing it ever then i don't see any issues.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by HighTecRedneck+Aug 27 2004, 12:51 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HighTecRedneck @ Aug 27 2004, 12:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-j0rd4n@Aug 27 2004, 12:37 PM
I don't doubt that. I'm sure it looks good i just didn't do it that way thinking what if i removed it in the future their would be a hole/notch left behind but if you don't plan on removing it ever then i don't see any issues. [/b][/quote]
very good point..i plan on driving this baby until it falls apart :D

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by HighTecRedneck@Aug 27 2004, 07:40 AM
As long as you are careful pulling the cabled through the drain hole at the bottom of the door and don't strip them at all you shouldn't have any problems with corrosion or water in the future. It really isn't nearly as noticeable as it looks in the picture and if you position your cables well it won't block much of that drain hole either.
lolzies! awesome wire choice. i used that exact stuff. It r0x0rs. I ran my wire like mcgilles though.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Taurussetypes@Aug 27 2004, 06:38 PM
lolzies! awesome wire choice. i used that exact stuff. It r0x0rs. I ran my wire like mcgilles though.
Yeah it's pretty sweet wire, golovko suggested it when we did our stereo systems and i couldn't have been happier.

I was thinking i might rewire mine the way mcgilles did his next time i open the door panel but it's kinda hard to tell from the picture alone how it is run.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts