Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up everyone? i just got back from the muffler shop and i wanted to get 40 series flowmasters put on it and he laughed. he said that was way over priced and he had another option. he gonna eliminate my muffler tie a y pipe in to the stainless i already have coming from the resonator and put stainless slash tips has anyone ever heard of this? he says ill get more power and more sound for less money

Y

·
0 Posts
can I say loud? i think you might consider that again, i've never heard a vulcan without a muffler I think you need more opinions..

so :bump:

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
i have pretty much the same setup on mine.... one word LOUD. I would not reccomend doing that. Sure its beefy and all, but there is zero backpressure, and its just annoying after awhile. A new muffler is going on mine in about a week. I just ditched my old mufflers cuz they were rusted beyond belief. Get a muffler. do dual mufflers if you like too.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
I'd suggest having a muffler. I've known a few people who had lost theres or put holes in theres so it would be loud. They thought it was cool till about a few days later when they relize its not going to be quiet anymore. Flowmaster's are a very good choice. Just had one installed on my vulcan just week from last firday. Very nice sound if i must say. And most everyone here agrees Vulcan+Flowmaster 40= :notworthy:
I actually got a passenger side set up coming this week and purchasing another flowmaster next friday to have dual exhaust installed. Man i cant wait. One flowmaster sounds nice, let alone getting another one installed.

BTW. For everyone to know, i actually can get sound clips of stock muffler, one flowmaster, and then dual flowmaster. For comparison purposes. I'll make sure to get an accelerating away one of single then dual, IF (and im assuming there would be) people interested in hearing it.

But back to the post. My opinion, let the guy laugh when you go to another shop to have them install a flowmaster 40 for you. Check ebay for em, theres a LOT on there. But watch out for those few on there that are poser flowmasters. They'll actually say "just like the original flowmaster" or something along those lines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanx everyone for the advice! i wanted it kinda loud but the way u guys are talkin they are too loud. the guys said if i didnt like it he would change it cuz it was an experiment for them. he said there was a part he has that makes it quieter if i felt it was too loud.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When my exhaust fell off 4 inches after the CAT it sounded like a boat. It was kind of cool but then I almost died considering I was stopped at a Light for 15 mins and the fumes built up and I felt really weak. but I was also wondering If I got one Flowmaster with the two exits and put it right after the resonator then ran two pipes directlty sideways and put dual chrome tips on it so that on both sides there would be exhaust right before the rear tire, is that legal, if it is would it be a good Idea?

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I've got an exhaust cutout on my vulcan. It sounds like a muscle car at idle (really, it does...ask anyone who's heard my car) and sounds alright while driving, but it's definately loud and annoying on long drives. I'd go with mufflers, or get cutouts. The best part about cutouts is the fact that you can put the cap back on and close the exhaust back to being quiet.

As far as backpressure goes, at least on the vulcan it doesn't make much of a difference. I ran it at the track with it open and closed and there wasn't much of a change in the times.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I can vouch for Ryne's statements. I saw his car at our Spring Break meet, and it sounds very good at idle, didn't get to hear him drive it around with the cap off though.

I basically have straight pipes on my SHO, and let me tell you, it is LOUD. I can deal with it, but that might be because I'm younger. I am thinking about getting some summit turbos welded on, but I still have to decide on that. As for straight pipes, you either love 'em, or you hate 'em. You gotta ask yourself if you want to be loud all the time or not, and whether or not you'll be annoyed by the noise.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
a cutout is, well, basically a hole in the pipe somewhere. Mine is in the last bend right under the rear seat on the driver's side, which is why it's so loud inside.

There are two ways to do a cutout:

1) Manufactured cutout. These come both electronically controlled and manually controlled. The electronic ones are by far your best bet if going this route, they are usually extremely well built, don't leak, and are easy as a push of a button to open and close. But they can cost up to 300 smackers. A maunal cutout is cheaper, 45 bucks from JC Whittney, but leak like a sive and are made of cast iron, which requires some skillful 'welding'. They use a cable that you pull from inside the vehicle to open and close. Again, the drawback is quality.

2) Custom cutout. (what I have) Bascially what you do is drill a hole the appropriate size on a bend somewhere easily accessable without a vehicle lift. (under the rear seat on the driver's side for instance) Weld a small section of pipe to an open flange and weld the pipe into the hole you drilled. Then, when you want to close the exhaust and make your car all stealth like again, just bolt on the other end of the flange and you're good to go. A note about the other end of the flange. You're going to have to fill the hole that's in it with something. I had washers of increasingly smaller sizes welded into place to cover the hole. You'll also need to make a gasket to prevent leaks around the union.

Hope this helps, and if you need some pictures, let me know

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
I probably have the weirest set up ever. On the regular muffler it was replaced with flowmaster and then a angled tip before the muffler another pipe was run to the opposite side and another angled tip, I dunno why they did it that way but hell it sounds realy good. I also think it defeats the initial purpose of having a muffler but o well. Ill get a exhaust clip up here tomarow if i can find an audio cord thingy.

·
Registered
147 Posts
a cutout is, well, basically a hole in the pipe somewhere. Mine is in the last bend right under the rear seat on the driver's side, which is why it's so loud inside.

There are two ways to do a cutout:

1) Manufactured cutout. These come both electronically controlled and manually controlled. The electronic ones are by far your best bet if going this route, they are usually extremely well built, don't leak, and are easy as a push of a button to open and close. But they can cost up to 300 smackers. A maunal cutout is cheaper, 45 bucks from JC Whittney, but leak like a sive and are made of cast iron, which requires some skillful 'welding'. They use a cable that you pull from inside the vehicle to open and close. Again, the drawback is quality.

2) Custom cutout. (what I have) Bascially what you do is drill a hole the appropriate size on a bend somewhere easily accessable without a vehicle lift. (under the rear seat on the driver's side for instance) Weld a small section of pipe to an open flange and weld the pipe into the hole you drilled. Then, when you want to close the exhaust and make your car all stealth like again, just bolt on the other end of the flange and you're good to go. A note about the other end of the flange. You're going to have to fill the hole that's in it with something. I had washers of increasingly smaller sizes welded into place to cover the hole. You'll also need to make a gasket to prevent leaks around the union.

Hope this helps, and if you need some pictures, let me know
[/b]
i'm kind of interested in seeing the custom setup you're running

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I guess I have cutouts in my mufflers. I can start to hear it more inside so eventually I may need to actually break down and get new mufflers. :glare:

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Holy 4-year old post batman! :lol2:

Ryne doesn't have the car anymore...but he *might* stop by and visit sometime...you might try shooting him a PM or an email.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts