Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I suspect I have a bad transmission fluid leak at the transmission fluid cooler quick-connects, but I'm not entirely sure because I can't really see it directly. I'm wondering if taking the battery out will give me a better view - any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I don't know if you've removed the lower splash pan yet, but that helps a lot with visibility in that area.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Any time I have to screw around "down in there" I like to remove the entire bumper cover. It's not hard to do, and allows you to check up on a lot of other things that can be a PITA to get to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fellas,

I've worked out that it's the Fluid Cooler Tube (#18 on this diagram), where it meets the clamps. Seems to have rusted, and is leaking through pinholes. What's the best and quickest way to go about fixing this - replace the whole line, or patch it where it's leaking?

Thanks!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
best: replace the whole line
quickest : patch it where it's leaking
best and quickest : no such thing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So my local stealership tells me the part isn't in stock, nor do they think it's even available. They offered to *make* it for me if I brought in the tubing, but it seems like a bitch to get out - am I wrong? I think I'd have to take the bumper right off, and that seems like an awful lot of work. I'm attaching a picture with the tube in question higlighted in purple and orange

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, so I just went ahead and cut out the offending piece of tube, and clamped in a piece of braided PVC. I'm not sure if the PVC will hold the temperature or the chemistry of the tranny fluid, so I'm going to replace that with a piece of rated rubber hose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts