Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need to avoid or look for anything as far as Police Pkg, Windstar, Continental, or whatever else they put this motor in? Is one better than the other? The car is a '95 SE non-Pol. pkg.

Anyone know a good place to order a rebuilt?

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The po-po and Continetal engines are the HO version of the standard 3.8L. I think there's a little difference with them (mostly tranny and heavy duty stuff). I'm not sure if the Windstar used the SLO or HO version, but '95 is the only year it's similar to the one in the Taurus. '96+ had the SHO style intake.

They would all physically fit (except the the RWD engines), but I'm not sure about the electronics. Just to be safe, grab one from a ('90-'95) Sable or Taurus SLO. '88-'89 used MPFI and '90-'95 had SEFI.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i belive the reason the continital used the h.o. 3.8 because of all the extra stuff it has.
how can you tell if you have a h.o. 3.8 engine???? the engine in the sable was new.

S

·
0 Posts
"Split Induction" It was called.

I would probably get one from a Thunderbird. Seems standard enough.

Sal

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I searched and read and searched some more but my real concern is the transmission and ECU working properly.

Can someone confirm my findings that swapping the Police with the non-Police engine won't affect the trans or the computer? The problem is swapping the Police trans in a non-Police car. Are the different CR and valves/ cam affected by the computer?

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
No, the engines will swap fine. The transmission, however, will not work properly unless you swap in the police ECU as well.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by SableSal@Sep 9 2004, 06:36 AM
"Split Induction" It was called.

I would probably get one from a Thunderbird. Seems standard enough.

Sal
Sal, you can't switch between FWD and RWD 3.8's. The blocks are different between the two.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Racer X@Sep 9 2004, 06:52 AM
No, the engines will swap fine. The transmission, however, will not work properly unless you swap in the police ECU as well.
Thanks! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
To clear up any confusion:

The 3.8L engine doesn't have any inherent bearing problems. However, it did have a headgasket problem, which can cause rod bearing failure if the headgasket is not addressed immediately. Here's why:

Commonly, the #1 and #4 cylinders are the first to go. When they do, the coolant has a tendency to leak down the cylinder walls, and wind up on the crankshaft. When the coolant makes its way to the rod bearings, the coolant dissolves the bearings quite rapidly over a short period of time, causing knocking, and if not addressed promptly, crankshaft damage or failure.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just because I don't want to make a $900 mistake can you garauntee that the HO motor will work fine with a standard 3.8 computer? I'd rather beat and stomp and crush a dead horse than buy a motor off of ebay that won't work.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by 3-fords1000@Sep 10 2004, 01:40 PM
Just because I don't want to make a $900 mistake can you garauntee that the HO motor will work fine with a standard 3.8 computer? I'd rather beat and stomp and crush a dead horse than buy a motor off of ebay that won't work.

Jeff
Yes, it will. Just be sure to retain the following from your old motor:
- Injectors and fuel rail
- MAF
- That's all.

If you ever plan on using a police ECU, I recommend one from 1993. It'll be compatible with the standard #14 injectors, and probably your MAF, though you may have to grab a police spec one, if there is such a thing.

Oh, and you'll have to use either a police AX4S or a Vulcan AX4S (it'll work too, but I wouldn't recommend it for longevity reasons) with the police ECU, or it's no torque coverter lockup for you.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Hamal. The trans is staying. It was just rebuilt last year and the motor is a rebuild so there isn't an ECU. Just the oil pan to valve covers.

Jeff

·
Registered
151 Posts
oh when i had my cougar and was going to lti this ford fanatic asked me if i had changed the oil and the headgasket's, i was like umm no, he's like ya better the 3.8's alway's had rod and h/g's problem's.

i kinda missed the cougar though, then again . . . .
but any way's i'm curious about this sable cause like i said when i first got the car the engine was new, except for the egr sensor, EVERYTHING.

so, if you have a non ax4s tranny, but have the h.o. 3.8 and ecu the torque converter won't lock??

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
All the transmissions in Gen 2 (save for the 95 LX/SE Vulcans, which got AX4N's :blink: ) are AX4S. There are, however, different models within the AX4S family, ie. Vulcan, Essex, Police Essex, and SHO applications, all of which have different final drive ratios, as well as some other miscellaneous things.

A note on the dowels...
The Police Essex has two dowels to accomodate the small difference in the police AX4S bellhousing. You can still fit a regular AX4S onto the police block; the transmission will fit between those two dowels.

·
Registered
151 Posts
okay so what i should look for is non-locking t/c, no speed limiter, and well those dowel's are out of the question cause as i said before the tranny is a "axod-e sho".

i'm curious becuase my friend had a sable same year and engine but i few thing's was different.
he took very good care of it too.

okay now his alternator was different than mine's.
and a few other thing's.
he asked me to drive it, and when i floored it, it did a little tire squeel, but the 0-60mph time was umm, i little impressive.
this was after we did a tune-up and so fourth.

he was like what you think your's can do better.
he was very impressed.
he thought i had something under the hood i told him nope.
i told him the engine was a about a month old and the trans was replaced.

i mean who ever owned the car before me seemed to know alot about mechanic's, plus the car came down from florida too.

i don't know if this is true but when i was curious about having the head's replaced on the cougar a one guy said, rumor has it that when you replace the h/g's on the 3.8 you either lose or ya gain. . . .
is this true??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts