Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading for a stop light, with a little four-door Geo and an unknown car in front of me. Light turns red, and the car in front of the Geo - a Camaro with hanging exhaust and (maybe a fake) RS badge on the rear, switched to the right lane. Obviously, he can blow by the Geo (who can't?) So, I pull over behind him and see what's going to happen.

He starts revving, his car's juming all over the place. Light turns green, and I hear the sounds of four squealing tires
- Camaro was on a wet spot on the road, but I wasn't :DHe only took it up to about 35 mph, with me right behind him. I don't know what he was thinking, but he suddenly puts on his brakes! Sore loser?
Knowing the Geo is long gone either way, I proceed to jump back in the left lane, burn him good, then turn off into my neighborhood.

So what happened?

If it was a real RS, it should have burned me, easily. Unless he REALLY wasn't trying. And the way he was revving etc, I doubt that.

If it was a fake RS, I know my car can hang with a V6 Camaro off the line. (V6 Stangs, too, for that matter). In that case, he was probably just bitter that he couldn't pull away from a 13-year-old Taurus

Either way it was a lot of fun, and it certainly made my day
Now that I have a month or two of nicer weather before I get the SHO out to play...

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
so I guess the Geo lost horribly right? I guess I don't understand what happened exactly.

Well, how old of a Camaro would say it was? The RS actually is on V-6 models of F-bodies. I raced an RS Camaro in my old Buick (3.1) and hung with it fairly well until 3rd gear. Up until I believe 1997 or so, they had a 3.4 V-6, and were slow as dogs. Hell, the 3800 series V-6 is pretty weak itself. The Mustng...well, V-6 Mustangs shouldn't exist.

Now, don't mess with the NEW V-6 Mustang coming out. That 4.0 SOHC motor will get that thing to 60 in 7 seconds at most.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Geo... I assume it lost, I couldn't see it by the time I passed the Camaro

I'm just trying to figure out whether the Camaro driver was just messing with me, or if I messed with him

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Originally posted by Majisto@Feb 25 2004, 09:42 PM
Now, don't mess with the NEW V-6 Mustang coming out.  That 4.0 SOHC motor will get that thing to 60 in 7 seconds at most.
Is that motor out now in the 99-04 mustangs? I've heard of a split port motor, just wondering if that's it.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by mikehawk+Feb 26 2004, 09:07 AM-->QUOTE (mikehawk @ Feb 26 2004, 09:07 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Majisto
@Feb 25 2004, 09:42 PM

Now, don't mess with the NEW V-6 Mustang coming out.  That 4.0 SOHC motor will get that thing to 60 in 7 seconds at most.
Is that motor out now in the 99-04 mustangs? I've heard of a split port motor, just wondering if that's it. [/b]
No, the current Mustang motor is the 3.8 Essex motor SPI (Split-Port Induction). The 4.0 SOHC motor the new Mustang will be using is the motor I have in my Explorer. After-Market goodies, here I come!

As for stats, the 4.0 has 210 horsepower @ 5,200 and 245 lbs/ft torque @ 3,200 RPMs. It revs up quite quickly, and has a good powerband up top. Should be great for use in the Mustang. Beats being in a heavy Explorer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts