Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Have that one on my car, love it. looks awesome. oh, and if you look in Crutchfield's christmas catalog at the car A/V section, you will see that the Alpine motorized DVD head unit is installed in a Gen III taurus with that same faceplate kit. Awesome.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have that same kit, with a JVC 9750 headunit w/the motorized face. Used to have a Pioneer deh6300 with another version dash kit.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I will go for that only if they make it more like the stock headunit. the stock head unit looks good.
except for the tape player.

needs a clock atleast.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I doubt that kit includes the wiring harness needed to do the job. The Scosche kit that includes the wiring harness run about $85. This kit would work well if you intend to do your own wiring and run some amps.

I have the kit on my car. I looks better than the Metra kit IMO.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Originally posted by spridget@Dec 23 2003, 12:27 AM
I doubt that kit includes the wiring harness needed to do the job. The Scosche kit that includes the wiring harness run about $85.
I hate to break it to you, but Crutchfield has the kit for $60 ... $40 if you buy a new
headunit at the same time.

$120 is way to much, even for the manufacturer, and $85 is still steep - trust me I paid $96 for my last kit and it wasn't the Scosche kit.

If you want good baselines for stereo stuff - check out crutchfield.com

·
Registered
486 Posts

I've bought both a gen3 and 4 schosche kit from crutchfield.com

They have excellent cutomer service too. When I was installing the kit in my gen4 the antenna extender decided it wanted to come apart. Called crutchfield and had a new one n 2 days, hands down no questions asked and free of charge. Can't beat that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
with stupid huh....

Crutchfield by far is the best place to get all your audio questions ... answered.

And to stay on topic - they have the lowest priced adapter plate that I have seen... IMHO

·
Registered
208 Posts
well see, I don't mind it just as long as the adapter plate looks decent. The one thing that I don't like is instead of having the radio itself controlling volume, seek, fade, balance, etc - they stuck the brain in the trunk. I think its a shady design IMHO <_<

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by Grn96Taurus+Dec 23 2003, 02:00 PM-->QUOTE (Grn96Taurus @ Dec 23 2003, 02:00 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-spridget
@Dec 23 2003, 12:27 AM
I doubt that kit includes the wiring harness needed to do the job. The Scosche kit that includes the wiring harness run about $85.
I hate to break it to you, but Crutchfield has the kit for $60 ... $40 if you buy a new
headunit at the same time.

$120 is way to much, even for the manufacturer, and $85 is still steep - trust me I paid $96 for my last kit and it wasn't the Scosche kit.

If you want good baselines for stereo stuff - check out crutchfield.com [/b]
I purchased my kit from Crutchfield about two years ago. It was $85 and $65 with the purchase of a new head unit. I got it for $65. They do have excellent customer service, but you can find better prices elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
I love crutchfield, and they have great deals on there kits..I as well purchased the Sosche with the wiring. However my Clarion head unit was $100 cheaper on ebay, new in box, than crutchfield...As well as the Infinity reference speakers that sell on crutchfield for $99, $30-40 on ebay. Maybe I just get lucky on ebay? *ponders*

...i smell cookies...

fa lalalalala....

wow i'm loosing it

·
Registered
208 Posts
spridget - who knows maybe they reduced prices cause its not a brand new thing. Who knows, its $60 now, not on sale. SO ... you know just FYI ..... BTW my sig pic and your avatar are almost mirror images for angle and such.

Ebay is usually cheaper 50-60% of the time, you just have to have good timing. I got a $429 head unit, and the adapter plate overnighted to my house for $366. WHICH I might add was cheaper than I paid for just my old pioneer radio. I saved $150 - so im not complaining for a top of the line JVC

·
Registered
26 Posts
quick question..

I have a 97 with the Mach system with electronic HVAC controls. I'd like to upgrade the stereo system. What options do I have to keep the electronic HVAC controls? Ilike the automatic feature as I rarely have to bother to adjust the controls.

Any options would be great.

Also, since I fear I may have no topions to keep the electronic controls, anyone have any info on where the brain is for this system? Is it its onw black box tucked away somewhere, or did Ford join it to the Mach serteo brains? (Toying with the idea of machining up a custom plate with a single DIN and electronic HVAC controls..)

Thanks,

-Wayne

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
As far as I know, with the digital climate controls, you have to keep the factory radio. sicne the two are together, and there is no aftermarket replacement controls. What you can do is, get rid of the stock amp and put in a much better 50x4 or 75x4 (whatever) aftermarket one. Get a CD changer. And replace the speakers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain@Jan 2 2004, 06:27 PM
As far as I know, with the digital climate controls, you have to keep the factory radio. sicne the two are together, and there is no aftermarket replacement controls. What you can do is, get rid of the stock amp and put in a much better 50x4 or 75x4 (whatever) aftermarket one. Get a CD changer. And replace the speakers.
That really sucks.. I pulled the unit out the other night and it appeared to have 2 wire harnesses and a bunch of vacuum junk going to it. I'm wondering if I can splice this sucker to work.. Eletrically I'm only controlling the fan motor and eletrical defrosters, right?

I'll start a new thread on this..

-Wayne

1 - 17 of 17 Posts