Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Generation Differences

4K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  rank 
#1 ·
For my Intro to Web Design page I have to create a site as a final project. I figured I'd go with what I know and create a Taurus information site. One of the sections I want to have will feature information on all the generations/years. So I was just wondering if anyone who knows of any differences between the generations or years can post them here so I can include them. I know we did this once or twice before but I couldn't find any posts on them in the archives. Oh, btw, this is SLO-specific; I have another page devoted to the SHO. Being almost 2:00am in the morning, I'm too tired to think of any right now. Wait, after '92 they dropped the two-tone body colors . . . ok, that took too much out of me; I'm going to bed.

All . . . uhh . . . things will be welcome. <---Too tired to think of the right word. I'll edit this tomorrow.

G
#2 ·
General styling differences: Something notable would be the front fascie change on the 96/97 Gen 3's vs. 98/99's. Also that the Gen 4.5 came out for 2004 with a front fascie refresh as well as new tail lights and a bit of a rear end refresh.

Gen 3's - 96 Duratecs got factory dual exhaust on the duratecs, but didn't get a 24V badge (rumor has it anyways - can somebody confirm - it might have only been early 96's) - 97 got the duals AND a 24V badge. 96 & 97's had rear disc brakes available - i can't remember if rear discs were available in 98's or not, but it was definitely cut out by 99.

For Gen 4's - 2000/2001 has a bit different interior than the 2002/2003's - cup holders are different. Also, I think it was 2003 that the rear a/c vents got cut out. :angry: Plus the 2004 interior is different. New steering wheel, some controls were moved. They had a tire air pressure sensor system available from what I've heard, but then they cut it for 05 already. :rolleyes: Also - the 2005's will only offer trim levels SE and SEL. No LX or SES.

That's just a few things off the top of my head. Hope this helps. :)

#3 ·
Hmm . . . guess I'll just do as much as I can than ask specific questions.

#5 ·
Originally posted by sundarpn@May 5 2004, 02:40 PM
go to a site that gives the specs, review, previews... on diff yrs..
that will give u the info.. edmunds.com is one....
there are others if u search google..
That's what I'm doing now but I meant more like the little things. Like how '95 SHO's got hard-buttoned EATC's or all the little differences the 91 Plus's have over the stock SHO's (black B and C pillars, black mirrors, etc.). I know there was a thread where people were throwing out the "little things" like crazy. I've just got to track it down.

#6 ·
This is something I submitted to Bob that I wrote up. He said he would forward it to Adam B. to be posted but it never was posted. So maybe it will be of some use to you.

Years 1986-1991 (Generation 1)

If your car has a “3.0L 12V OHV V6 ‘Vulcan’” your valve covers will say “3.0L V6.” This is probably the most popular Taurus engine.

If your car has a “3.8L 12V OHV V6 ‘Essex’” your intake will say “3.8L Fuel Injected.”

If your car has a “3.0L 24V DOHC ‘Yamaha’” than your intake will say “SHO 24 Valve DOHC” (SHO Models ONLY.)

1992-1995 (Generation 2)

If your car has a “3.0L 12V OHV V6 ‘Vulcan’” your valve covers will say “3.0L V6.” This is probably the most popular Taurus engine.

If your car has a “3.8L 12V OHV V6 ‘Essex’” your intake will say “3.8L Fuel Injected.”

If your car has a “3.0L 24V DOHC ‘Yamaha’” than your intake will say “SHO 24 Valve DOHC.” (SHO Models ONLY.)

If your car has a “3.2L 24V DOHC ‘Yamaha’” than your intake will say “SHO 24 Valve DOHC” (SHO Models w/ Automatic Transmission ONLY.)

1996-1999 (Generation 3)

If your car has a “3.0L 12V OHV V6 ‘Vulcan’” FFV (Flexible Fuel Vehicle) your valve covers will say “3.0L V6.” Your fender will also have an emblem that says “FFV.”

If your car has a “3.0L 24V DOHC V6 ‘Duratec’” your intake will say “Duratec 24 Valve DOHC.” You will also have a fender emblem that says “24V DOHC.”

If your car has a “3.4L 32V DOHC V8 ‘Yamaha’” your intake will say “SHO V8 32 Valve.” You will also have a fender emblem that says “V8.” (SHO Models ONLY.)

2000-Present (Generation 4)

If your car has a “3.0L 12V OHV V6 ‘Vulcan’” FFV (Flexible Fuel Vehicle) your valve covers will say “3.0L V6.” Your fender will also have an emblem that says “FFV.”

If your car has a “3.0L 24V DOHC V6 ‘Duratec’” your intake will say “Duratec 24 Valve DOHC.” You will also have a fender emblem that says “24V DOHC.”

Why do some Taurus/Sables have 4-Wheel Disc Brakes?

Four wheel disc brakes weren’t standard on any Taurus until 1991. The vehicle they became standard on was the Taurus SHO. Previously, drums were standard, disc optional. From 1992-1999 4-wheel disc brakes were always standard on the SHO and optional on every Taurus except in model year 1999. In 1999, disc brakes were only available on the Taurus/Sable wagon and the Taurus SHO. From 1996-1998, 4 wheel disc brakes were only available on cars equipped with anti-lock brakes. In 2000, Ford quit making any Taurus/Sable sedans available with 4-wheel disc brakes as an option. From 2000 on, 4-wheel disc brakes are standard on every Taurus wagon, however.

What seats will fit in my Taurus/Sable?

You can use ANY front seats from 1986-2004 in any year Taurus/Sable and they will bolt up. The wiring will not work from all years, however. The wiring from 1986-1995 is the same. The wiring from 1996-1999 varies by model. The Taurus/Sable used one wiring harness for the power seats. If, however, you had a Taurus SHO, it was moved up to 3 wiring harnesses. (I think for the power bolsters.) The extra wiring even has a sticker that says “SHO” wrapped around it. Custom wiring will be needed. From 2000-2004, the Taurus came equipped with a “personal safety system.” This system monitors occupant’s weight, etc. The Taurus was also available with side air bags from 2000-2004, thus resulting in extra wiring harnesses. Seats from 1996-1999 will not work in cars 2000-2004 without custom wiring, and vice-versa.

What instrument clusters can I put in my Taurus?

If your car is years 1986-1990 then all clusters should work from 1986-1990 without a problem. If your vehicle is equipped with a digital cluster, however, it has to be replaced with a digital cluster. If your car is not an SHO and you want a 140MPH speedometer, you can put one in. As long as it is a 1989-1990 SHO cluster. If your car did not come with a tachometer, then you CAN add one without any extra wiring. It plugs right in with no modifications.

If your car is years 1991-1995, then ALL clusters will work from 1991-1995 as long as it is not a digital cluster. Clusters from the Taurus L, GL, LX, SE, and SHO are all interchangeable. Even if your car DID NOT come with a tachometer, one can be added with no modification.

If your car is years 1996-1999 ALL clusters from 1996-1999 can be added with no modification. This applies to G, GL, LX, SE, and SHO.

If your car is years 2000-2003 all clusters from 2000-2003 can be used. NO cluster from 1996-1999 will work. Not the 110, not the 120, not the 150. If you try you will be wasting your money.

If your car is a 2004, information about clusters is still not available.

What wheels will fit my Taurus/Sable?

ANY wheel from ANY year Taurus or Sable will fit. The bolt pattern never, ever changed. Example: If your car is a 1986 Taurus and you want wheels from a 2004 Sable, they will fit with no problems. NOTE: If your car is a 1996-1999 Taurus SHO or a 2000-2004 Taurus or Sable, you can ONLY use 16 inch wheels. The front discs are bigger than any other Taurus/Sable, and 15 inch wheels are not big enough to clear the brakes.

Why do some Taurus/Sables have dual exhaust?

From 1989-1999 the Taurus SHO came with dual exhaust. From 1996-1998 all Taurus and Sables equipped with the Duratec came with dual exhaust. In 1999, the Sable still came with dual exhaust when equipped with a Duratec, but in order to have a Taurus with dual exhaust you had to order an SE Sport or an SHO.

What “special edition” Taurus/Sables have been released?

1991- Ford Taurus SHO “Plus.” In addition to SHO features, the SHO plus had: A special rod shifter, a fiberglass “bulge” hood, body colored “Taurus” logo, “slicer” rims, and “24V DOHC” fender emblems. It also featured blacked out mirrors and pillars.

1995-Taurus SE and Sable LTS: Special leather/cloth “SHO Seats” with unique pattern, “crystal” headlamps, and floor shifter. An SHO spoiler with integrated third-LED brake light was optional on the SE, as well as a tachometer, and the 3.8L engine.

1998-Taurus SE Limited: Special “two-tone” leather interior with “Limited” stitched in the seats. Duratec, floor shifter, moon roof, dual exhaust, electronic climate control, “sparkle” wheels, 4-wheel disc brakes w/ ABS, and rear spoiler were standard.

1999-Taurus SE Sport: Standard equipment: Leather wrapped steering wheel, cloth seats, electronic climate control, automatic headlamps, Duratec, floor shifter, dual exhaust, SHO 16” wheels with Z rated tires, 150MPH speedometer w/ 8K tach, and moon roof. Optional: SHO Leather Seats.

2002-Mercury Sable Platinum Edition: Special “chrome” waterfall grill, special spoke “Platinum” wheels, “Platinum Edition” fender emblem, Duratec standard, moon roof standard, floor shifter standard, leather interior standard. Unique silver gauge bezel, silver floor shift surround, silver stereo surround, and silver door inserts. “Platinum Edition” floor mats.

2002-2004-Taurus SES Sport: Leather wrapped steering wheel, special “monochromatic” spears (front and back,) “slicer” rims, two tone (black/gray) cloth seats, single CD player, moon roof, rear spoiler, Duratec, floor shifter, “Sport 24V DOHC” fender emblems, silver floor shift and radio surround, and “Sport” floor mats. Optional: 6-Disc console mounted CD changer.

#7 ·
I have a 2001 and I know the 2003 models you cannot unlock from the passenger side. My 2001 also does NOT have those rear bumper clips that hang down below the bumper. (The bumpe clips I have no idea what they were for or anything, but they look fugly in my opinion.

2000 has 10.6" (? the 99 size) rotors 2001 and up have 11.6" rotors.

The tail lights changed on the 2004, the rear bumper, the front bumper cover and grill.

#8 ·
Here are some info of G1s and G2s.

'86-'88 Taurus had amber turn signals in the taillights.

'86-'88 Sables had a two-bulb lightbar (meaning the Mercury symbol in the middle doesn't light up).

'89 Taurus had an exterior change that lasted until '91, but the dash was the same as previous models. The exterior changes were monochromatic taillights and a "sleeker" front end (smaller headlights and grille). It's also the introduction of the SHO.

'89 Sables also had an exterior change, but dash stayed the same. The lightbar is now has 4 bulbs and the headlights are sleeker. Taillights had very minor changes (most noticable are the reverse lights).

'90-'91 Taurus/Sables looked the same externally as '89, but the dash was revised. The steering wheels are now both the same design on the Taurus and Sable except with a different symbol on the horn pad. It has a rectangular design.

'92 had a redesign and the start of a new generation. Both the Taurus and Sable looked sleeker and curvier. The steering wheel stayed the same for both cars. The center console (if it had a floor shift) was a carry-over from G1s. This year was the only year the cars could come in two-tone (different colored bumpers and body trim).

'93 no change on the SLOs, but the SHO gained an automatic, new center console, and new steering wheel. The SLOs will not get the new "sport" steering wheel (which is a curvy version of the previous steering wheel) and console until the next year. The SLOs now had matching body colored bumpers and side trim, but the door handles were still black like the '92s. LX (Taurus) models lost the bumper lights (activated when the turn signal and headlights were on).

'94 the steering wheel used on the SLOs are the same as the SHOs. The inner taillight bulbs now lit up with the brakes as previous versions only illuminated with the parking lights. The SLOs also had matching body colored door handles. About mid-year, it gained a million mile odometer.

'95 is the last year of the G2s. Basically the same as '94s.

#10 ·
2002-2004-Taurus SES Sport: Leather wrapped steering wheel, special “monochromatic” spears (front and back,) “slicer” rims, two tone (black/gray) cloth seats, single CD player, moon roof, rear spoiler, Duratec, floor shifter, “Sport 24V DOHC” fender emblems, silver floor shift and radio surround, and “Sport” floor mats.
Actually, There are differences between sport model years (as well as other models, such as 03 does not have chrome door handles). The sport was introduced on Gen 4's mid MY 02. The package included:

*Monochromatic (body color) Spears
*5 spoke slicer rims (not hubs)
*Sport badges on the fender (which also included a different 24V DOHC emblem)
*Embroidered floor mats that read "Sport 24V DOHC"
*Pewter surrounds on the floor shift console and radio trim

Only available on the SES, and was a $290 option. Was available in black, silver, Matador Red, Patriot Blue, and Dark Shadow Gray only. The other options were safety package, moonroof, MACH audio, adjustable pedals, and the luxury and Convenience package.

All sports were floor shift, and had spoilers. All sports also have the two tone cloth interior, called "Dark Charcoal gray", which was only on the sports.

For 04, some design changes were made that changed the sport package, ie, monochromatic spears (there is no longer a front one, and the rear spear is monochromatic on all models). The seats are also patterned a little differently.

#12 ·
Thanks! This was exactly the stuff I was looking for!

One question for the true Taurus gurus . . .

I found a website saying that there were two 2.5L engines available for the Taurus. Here are the specs:

Years Available: 1986-1991
Horsepower: 90@4400
Torque: 130@2600

Years Available: 1986-1988
Horsepower: 102@4800
Torque: 138@2700

Anyone know anything about this? I haven’t been able to verify the existence of the second engine anywhere else on the web.

#13 ·
Auto and Manual??????

#14 ·
The 2.5 used to be only 90HP but like 2 years later they bumped up the HP.

EDIT: Btw, N2-The no-chrome door handles was not a sport thing. They deleted chrome door handles from ALL 2003 Tauri. I don't know if thats what you were trying to say that or not. *shrug*

-Kyle

#15 ·
Another question on the four-banger. I read from one source that it came with either a 5-speed manual or a 3-speed automatic. Yet another source said that only the 5-speed manual was available. Can anyone back up either of these?

*EDIT*

My bad, I read it wrong. The L came standard with the 3-speed automatic while the MT-5 only came with the 5-speed.

#16 ·
Originally posted by kjw86ca@May 6 2004, 10:22 AM

EDIT: Btw, N2-The no-chrome door handles was not a sport thing. They deleted chrome door handles from ALL 2003 Tauri. I don't know if thats what you were trying to say that or not. *shrug*
Yeah I know they were... I like the chrome ones though

#17 ·
Alrighty, I've got a rough draft up:

Taurus Online Resource

A couple notes though. The Gen 4 page is not complete. I was working on it at like 4:00 in the morning last night and didn't think the teacher would notice if I "skipped" over the 2002 and 2003 changes. I'll finish that later. btw, Taurussetypes, I hope you don't mind me using your pic for the Gen 4 page. I didn't have time to ask you for permission. If you've got a problem with it just tell me and I'll remove it.

Also, ignore the "Fastest" button/page. One requirement for the project was to encorporate a functioning form in your website. I was in a rush and this was the only thing I could think of. It'll be removed as soon as she tells me that she's graded it. Same deal with the cheesy animation on the contact page.

btw, before anyone criticizes the layout, colors, etc remember that this is an Intro to Web Design class; this is the first time I've ever tried creating a site. Honestly, I think my site turned out much better than any of the other students'. Still, if you have some suggestions, fell free to offer them. This site is still in it's infancy and I plan on expanding it.

Some plans I have are a "News" page for the latest information on the Taurus and and a SHO section much like I did the SLO's (e.g., going into detail about all the changes in them over the years). Actually, I had originally planned on doing that yet due to time constraints I shelved the SHO section.

Finally, keep in mind this site is intended for people who may know nothing about cars but just want to learn more about the Taurus. That's why I stayed away from using any jargon, even stuff as simple as "V6" just in case people might get confused. :lol:

#18 ·
Very nice layout. It's very clean and fast loading. I've added it to my favorites for future reference. There's a few errors that I've noticed. The G2 Crystalline headlights debuted on the '94 LX, not the '95 SE. Also, you forgot to mention the death of the Essex in '96. And this line has an error.

...the orange taillight lenses were replaced with orange ones.
This would sound better:
...the orange turn signal lenses were replaced with red ones.

#21 ·
Just for the sake of historical accuracy:

Several posters above indicated that rear disc brakes were not available in '99...well, the '99 Taurus SE I recently inherited from my late father most definitely DOES have rear discs...

#22 ·
Originally posted by RF Overlord@Jul 14 2005, 10:18 PM
Just for the sake of historical accuracy:

Several posters above indicated that rear disc brakes were not available in '99...well, the '99 Taurus SE I recently inherited from my late father most definitely DOES have rear discs...
MINE DOES TOO!!! :lol2: B) I think it was an option....course my Tec also came with single exhaust...so idk...it was built in 11/98... :unsure:

#23 ·
The brake rotors changed parts way through the 1991 production year. IIRC the newer ones have a thicker center hub section.

I woudl like to see someone post about when the 4 different transmissions each came out. Is it as simple as:

Gen 1 = AXOD
Gen 2 = AXODE
Gen 3 = AX4N
Gen 4 = AX4S

???????????????????

#24 ·
Originally posted by rank@Jul 14 2005, 07:46 PM
The brake rotors changed parts way through the 1991 production year.  IIRC the newer ones have a thicker center hub section.

I woudl like to see someone post about when the 4 different transmissions each came out.  Is it as simple as:

Gen 1 = AXOD
Gen 2 = AXODE
Gen 3 = AX4N
Gen 4 = AX4S

???????????????????
http://www.taurusclub.com/encyclopedia/Engine/Trans.html

BTW, AX4S = AXOD-E

#25 ·
Originally posted by rank@Jul 14 2005, 09:46 PM
The brake rotors changed parts way through the 1991 production year. IIRC the newer ones have a thicker center hub section.

I woudl like to see someone post about when the 4 different transmissions each came out. Is it as simple as:

Gen 1 = AXOD
Gen 2 = AXODE
Gen 3 = AX4N
Gen 4 = AX4S

???????????????????
Nope not quite that simple. Other will shed more light on the subject, but here's what's going down for '02.

My car is an '02 Vulcan. That year at least (and possibly sooner), the AX4N is renamed 4F50N. The '02 Duratecs all came with the 4F50N(in theory). The '02 Vulcans came with either the AX4S or the 4F50N. My Vulcan has the 4F50N (despite that my transmission pan actually has "AX4N" stamped into it <_<).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.