Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just recently bought a used 2003 Ford Taurus SEL and I have a few questions regarding a transmission swap. This car has about 147,000 miles on it now, and I can feel the transmission is starting to slip, and its not running through the gears quite right. Now, before getting it rebuilt, I was wondering what someone knew about a manual conversion. I know Ford never offered a 5-speed with the Sable's or Taurus's in this generation, but I was wondering if the tranny from a cougar might bolt up. I believe I heard somewhere the the MTX-75 manual transmission would bolt up to the 3.0 24V DOHC, but I can't find information anywhere. I know the car will run in limp mode if you just dropped a manual in it, so would it be possible for someone to program the ECM? I know that this is a little over the head, but I want something that's one of a kind, and who else has a tuner taurus of this year? Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could use the transmission from a Contour/Cougar and use the SCT tuner to tune it.
Thanks for the response! I've heard a lot of people using the SCT tuner in their cars, but isn't that more for custom ratio's. (so that their car doesn't try to go back to factory set trims to over-ride performance parts) So the SVT scanner will bypass the automatic tranny sensors?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Thanks for the response! I've heard a lot of people using the SCT tuner in their cars, but isn't that more for custom ratio's. (so that their car doesn't try to go back to factory set trims to over-ride performance parts) So the SVT scanner will bypass the automatic tranny sensors?
The SCT will allow you to adjust several settings to get the most out of the car.

The SCT scanner should allow you to bypass the ATX but not the SVT scanner.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts