Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought an '04 Taurus about a month or so ago. We took it through an automatic carwash today and water came pouring through the top of the front passenger door.

I never really noticed before, but this is my wife's car and she is kind of clueless sometimes.:rolleyes2:

Anyway, I'm looking to see if anyone know if there are any adjustments to be made at the door mounting bolts that will help close up the gap at the top corner of the door that is allowing water to come in. The weather stripping looks fine and the gap is obvious. I've attached a pic to show what I mean.

If I posted in the wrong section, please let me know as I'd like to fix this myself if I can.

Thanks,

Josh

Attachments

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
The door needs to be realigned to seal it all the way around, by loosening and adjusting the hinge bolts behind the front quarter panel.

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
Might try loosening the door latch and moving it towards the cabin a bit. Iirc, 2 torx screws t-40 or t-45? From the pics, looks like door is not drawn in enough, unless you didnt have it fully closed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its fully closed and the doors line up beautifully all the way from the bottom of the doors to almost the top where it sort of juts out. I will try to adjust the latch tomorrow.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Soooooo

I got a chance to work on this for a little bit today. Good thing too cause we had one heck of a storm!!

The catch for the latch doesn't seem to be adjustable as there are no oblong holes and the torx bolts are just tapered and self centering. (T40 by the way)

Also the latch doesn't seem to have any adjustment either. (T27)

Their are adjustment bolt for the in/out of the door at both the top and bottom of the doors. I was able to loosen these w/ a 13mm and pull the top of the door in a little. I also pulled out the bottom of the door a bit to angle the top into the roof line a little better.

It feels like the door needs to be angled up towards the roof a bit, but at least I got it to keep the rain out for now.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
Hmmm...., on my 99 i was able to loosen the 2 torx bolts on the catch and move it inboard a bit. Pulled the door in ~ 1/4 in. or so.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The gap is quite noticible and it's unusual for the door to simply drop from a lot of use or age. Was that car ever in an accident?. I've seen this sort of thing happen when the wind catches the door and swings it back as somebody is trying to get out. It can be difficult trying to get it realigned. With the door open... is there any movement when you lift the door?.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Judging by the picture, it looks like the door needs to be turned clockwise a smidge. It was probably in an accident at some point.

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
Does the bottom of the door line up well? I have the same issue on the driver's door of my G4, though the bottom of the door lines up fine. After being perplexed by the cause, my wife finally admitted that she had locked the keys in the car and the pop-a-lock guy opened it by placing a wedge between the door and the body to be able to hit the lock button with a rod :(

Unfortunately the fix hasn't been easy. I rolled down the window and tried to bend the upper part of the door back. It's better than is was, but still not perfect. I ended up shimming the weatherstripping to make sure water stays out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts