Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been browsing the forums for a bit off and on and they have really helped me in getting my stereo install going. However, I have a few questions.

First of all, during the removal of my stock stereo, using the DIN tools I could pop the right side out easy. It came out exactly as everyone has said it would, and didn't take much effort at all. But the left side was another matter, it would not come out. I spent 15-30 minutes putting the DIN tool in every which way I could. I have no idea what was keeping it from popping out, but in the end I had to bust it out of there. :( I broke the clip (had to do it), and since the Metra kit I bought required it, I'm in kind of a pickle. Now, the way it broke, I know I can get the radio back in and it would probably be fine and look flush, but there is no way to get it out again with out prying it, from where the clip broke off. So my question is, is there a place I can get these clips? I just need one, it seems silly I'd need to buy a new stock unit to get one. I might try the junk yard if I get desperate, I'd rather just order it though.

Second question, the Metra kit has a couple of extra wires I don't know where they go. One is orange, the other is black (ground?). The wiring harness that goes to the trunk came with an extra blue wire that doesn't appear to go to anything either. The directions on both my Pioneer DEH-P610BT and for the Metra kit aren't clear on either. Also, the yellow amp wire and the red wire from the Pioneer unit I assume just go to the yellow and red cables on the Metra kit adapter, correct? That is the way I'm running them now, and without putting anything back in I turned it on and it worked great. It responded to accessory, and was still on when I turned the engine on. Made my stock speakers sound a lot better as well. But I can't help but feel I'm missing something with these spare wires.

Third question, still on the Metra kit. But for those who use DIN stereos, how the hell do you install that metal square bracket to the plastic Metra dash? I've been working on this all day, so my brain is pretty fried. I've been staring at it and I can not for the life of me figure out how to mount it to this plastic dash and have it be stable enough to secure the stereo unit. I'll give it another go in the morning, but I just don't see it happening.

Fourth question, how exactly does the rear-speaker cover come off. I was looking at it and couldn't quite figure it out. Granted, I didn't spend a lot of time since I'm doing the speakers last, but I'd like to know ahead of time if someone already has experience in getting it off. I'm assuming the front door speaker covers just pop off with a screw driver. But I haven't looked at those yet.

Lastly, I'm going to be running an amp. Therefore I need to figure out how to get a 4 gauge wire through this firewall. I was reading the firewall sticky, and it seemed what people were saying just wasn't applying to me. I had my laptop in the car with me (looking at the pictures) as I was working, and I couldn't find any holes to slide a wire in. I'll likely end up drilling it out, but I'd rather not if I can. Mainly because even though I have a good idea where I'd punch the hole through, who knows what could go wrong. If anyone who has a Gen. 4 Taurus could take pictures of where they routed their power cable, I'd be eternally grateful. Whether it was drilled or you found these mysterious holes. This is my biggest hurdle I think.

Sorry if these questions have been answered elsewhere. I'm just kind of eager to get my car put back together, and any amount of help for getting the installation done sooner (and done correctly) would help.

Thanks. :)

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Question 1: Officially These clips are not available. J/Y or the Wanted to Buy section.
Q2:Iin the aftermarket land. (harness or radio or kit)(This applies to modern kits)
As a rule.
  • Red is Accy
  • Yellow is Hot (all times)
  • Orange is illuminate
  • Orange with stripe is dimmer(GM)
  • Blue is remote turn (aftermarket amps)
  • Blue with white stripe is Power antenna up.
q3: Not sure what you mean, Pics would help
q4: That is under the parcel shelf- there are directions some where around here. I will check for you.
yes in the topic finder
With folding seats
With out
q5(lastly): I can not answer that one.
Comment: I know the feeling. :- )

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
PM sent on clips. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
#3 Push the DIN cage through the front of the kit. Secure it in place by bending any metal tabs that apply over the plastic kit. This keeps the cage/radio from falling back out the front of the kit. Remove the rubber bumper pin from the back of the factory radio and screw it into the hole in the back of the aftermarket radio. This will provide the rear support and "firm-up" the installation. If you have a DIN trim bezel, snap it in place from the front of the kit for a "finished" look.

If you still don't have enough rear support, mount the support strap that came with the radio to the rear screw. Bend it to the appropriate shape and secure it to the screw holding the back of the ashtray in place.

FYI...

On the clips, you don't actually even need the DIN tools. If you reach up from under the dash, you can feel the clips on each side of the panel. Just apply a bit of pressure in the right direction (once you have looked at the clips after the first removal you will see how to do this) and the clips will release. I now do this any time I need to remove the radio/climate controls in my 2000. It always works (on Gen 4), even in the junkyards.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
A post I did a while back with some pics. 4ga through the firewall

QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Aug 10 2008, 11:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=652193
1st pic, wire with my finger on it is 4ga and runs into the firewall direcly below the grommet in the cowling you can see. Remove the cruise module, (on the left w/ silver and black top- 3 bolts and a harness)

2nd pic, Shot of the face of the fusebox, showing the orientation of the hole

3rd pic, side of the fusebox, showing where the wire runs to the hole.\

[attachmentid=26842]

[attachmentid=26844]

[attachmentid=26845]

That's all I can do[/b]

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, thanks for the replies!

As for the orange and blue wires, I don't see where I can connect them to. The only other blue wire is blue/white on the Pioneer deck, and that goes to the amp. Orange wire is a total mystery, if it's illumination I'd very much like to have it working. If someone here has used the Metra kit, maybe you can shed some light on it. Because without the blue, orange, and black wires connected.. everything appears to be working correctly.

Here's a crappy cell phone pic of the wires (and DIN plate I'm trying to install). Couldn't find my digital camera. :\

And 00tec-saTX, those pictures aren't showing for me. :(

Edit: Nm they are there, awesome! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
367 Posts
On my G4 with floor shift, I found a grommet just above the fuse box under the driver side dash (to the left). I'm not sure if you can get to it without unbolting the fuse box as I did that just to find the damn hole in the first place. Also I have a complete crutchfield master sheet for installing the aftermarket deck, and all 4 speakers if you need it.

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
FIrst I'd like to ask you where all your manuals went? You should save thing like that. Anyways..... to answer your questions.

Q1: Junkyard or ebay.

Q2: Can't remember what orange is but I'm sure you don't need it. Black is the ground, red is the 12volt accessory wire (power when key is turned on), and as for the blue wire its useless.. can't remember what it goes to but I know mine isn't used.. Yellow is the constant 12volt wire which powers the head unit.

Q3: To mount the DIN pop it through the front side. While folding the DIN flush to the mounting face, bend the little tabs that are on the DIN that way it holds it self in place.

Q4: Fold down the rear seats and take out the 4 bolts (Should be 1/2 socket). Press forward and lift up on the seat and it will pop up and be free. Set it aside some where. On the rear package tray there is 4 (?) black push pins that you need to carefully pop out. Disconnect the 3rd brake light and it should be free. With it out the way your good to go.

Q5: Don't drill any holes.. There is a hole there in the firewall on the driver side directly to the left of the sway bar mount. Get a flash light if you can't see it. Anyways when you find the hole.. the wire should pop out right above the fuse panel under the dash board.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (sojiaraggs9000 @ Jul 18 2009, 11:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740522
FIrst I'd like to ask you where all your manuals went? You should save thing like that. Anyways..... to answer your questions.[/b]
Well I have read all the manuals I had. I feel they aren't clear enough unless you've done it before, then they make sense. For me anyway. :p

The metra kit "instructions" doesn't say anything about the the blue and orange wires. I knew where the yellow and red ones lead, I figured the black one was ground, but I went ahead and grounded my deck to the metal bar in the back of the console just in case.

Mounting the DIN cage into the metra dash, I realize what you are saying, it's what the instructions say too. But looking at it I don't see any tab that would hold it in place secure enough for travel. I think I'm going to end up drilling holes in the metal, and find some small flat head screws to screw into the plastic (after predrilling the holes of course). Then look to reinforce it in the console with something. I want to make sure this baby is solid.

As for the firewall, I'll look more closely. The only hole I saw was one with a metal tube coming out, surrounded by a brown gel. I thought that might be insulation or something, but after sticking a thin wire in there it just stops where the normal firewall ends.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Illumination option is NOT available on this pioneer deck. Most pioneers i am finding do not take advantage of the Illumination/Dimmer.
Tape the Orange wire off good. It will have 12v on it when your parking lights are on. You will not be using it here.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
I'll have to make a video of where to find the firewall hole. I'll run a red fish-stick through it so it can be seen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (thesavo @ Jul 20 2009, 05:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740721
Illumination option is NOT available on this pioneer deck. Most pioneers i am finding do not take advantage of the Illumination/Dimmer.
Tape the Orange wire off good. It will have 12v on it when your parking lights are on. You will not be using it here.[/b]
Thanks for the answer. Now I know. :)

QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Jul 20 2009, 06:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740729
I'll have to make a video of where to find the firewall hole. I'll run a red fish-stick through it so it can be seen.[/b]
If you did that, I'd love you forever. :wub:

After putting my car back together I've put my car stereo install on hold, I'm looking at another Taurus. :lol2: It's an SES model (has mach system, sunroof, floor shifter), not sure if I'll get it or not, but I want the stereo to go into something nicer than the car I have now. Nice thing about it is, whether or not I install it again in the same car or the new one, I know exactly what to do (save for the firewall) so installation time should be halved. I literally spent all day searching google and these forums in helping me tear apart my car and the best places to run wires. It all seems really easy looking back on it, but when I was doing it it felt like it was taking forever.

This forum is a life saver for us noobs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (00tec-saTX @ Jul 23 2009, 04:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=741510
Thanks for doing that saTX! :)

I'm still looking for another Taurus. I missed out on the first deal. I'm looking at another but because it is a SEL it has a different stereo:

Assuming I get the car, will I need something other than the Metra kit in order to make the new stereo work out? Looks a hellofa lot more built in than my SE. Just curious, because getting a good stereo in is a factor in my decision on whether or not I should buy it.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
In order to install a stereo there, you'll have to one-off it. Fiberglass, moving the circuit components, etc. Or find somewhere else to put it.
\

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm, thinking of it. There is a 6 CD changer in the back, could you in theory hook up the new deck in the back (replacing the cd player), and say run an ipod cable to the front (with usb extensions) for iPod control. You wouldn't have the ability to play CDs, but idk. The only other way I was thinking is if I cut the Metra unit in half and cut that dash piece in half right above the AC stuff. Match them up, fill in the gaps and sand it down. Then repaint it.

I'm sure it's possible to make it work, just a matter of how much effort you want to put into it I guess.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
This is why you can't just cut it in half:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52481

You can't hook up an aftermarket deck into the CD changer port. You have to bypass the box in the trunk completely and go straight to the speaker wires that hook up to that box. You can get a module that plugs into the CD changer port for just an iPod or other MP3 player if you want to keep the stock system.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (Qwertz9586 @ Jul 26 2009, 07:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=742196
You can get a module that plugs into the CD changer port for just an iPod or other MP3 player if you want to keep the stock system.[/b]
Really? How would one do that?

And I ended up buying another Taurus. :D

It's not the one in the picture, but it has the same dash. Except the CD changer is built into the console. I haven't torn it apart yet, or looked at it seriously. But would it be possible just to put my new stereo in there? Would hitting 'CD' on the dash enable the Stereo to be used, or am I just crazy?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. If I can just run my iPod through the CD changer like Qwertz posted I think I'd rather just do that and skip the stereo. I'd still put new speakers in, but then I don't get to install my sub and amp. :(

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
No, it doesn't work that way. The CD changer communicates with the "brain" in the trunk and if the "brain" doesn't see a CD changer, it won't communicate (ie- won't use the audio from the CD changer port).

The iPod/MP3 interface module plugs into the CD changer port at the "brain" in the trunk. This module fools the "brain" into thinking it is a CD changer so it can send the audio signal to it.

Familiarize yourself with this topic:
http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?s=&a...st&p=686434

1 - 20 of 20 Posts