Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, just wanted to get a few things answered. not going to work on the car for a bit, but just wanted piece of mind.

Back story and Information:

I have been going a week with Flush in the system after draining 2 weeks ago. Then ran ONLY distilled water for a week which I changed out and added 1 gal of 70/30 and about 3/4 of a gal of 50/50 as per advice here.

Before I emptied the distilled water ONLY and topped off with coolant (actually accomplished this task 2/12/2011) I took a drive about 40 mins away. The temp gauge stayed on the lower quarter the entire drive out and back.

Let me preface this by saying, we've had some below average temps down here in Florida and I just figured that the water would cool the engine better than the coolant.

Here's the issue. On the way back I got a CEL thrown. I pulled the code and it read P0125. Quick Google search led me to 'low coolant temp' blah blah something about improper coolant/fuel temperature for ideal gas mileage.

The temp gauge ran low on me again last night. Another cold night out to drive and it stayed on the lower 1/4 for the entire drive. As I parked the car and let it just idle, it slowly started to climb but never got to the mid way point (not sure if I didn't let it sit long enough)

I know that the thermostat could be sticking open (failing open) and that would cause the slow to NORMAL temp signs that I'm seeing.

I also know that some sensors (coolant I suppose) could be on their way out. I am a bit more doubtful of this as the air coming out of the vents was warm but not hot (btw, yes I've done the heater-core/Clinton flush and the core is only 2 seasons new, so it's not blocked)

On to the Questions:

So, would driving this around again and getting another CEL do anything terribly wrong?

Also, do I have to drain the coolant to change out the thermostat? I just did this and would hate to do it again.

Also, one last thing. When I went to check last night if the system had built up any pressure (by slowly removing the reservoir tank cap) not much pressure had been built up. I'm not great a this stuff, but is the pressure only built up in the system when the coolant is really hot? Or should pressure be building up from the start?

The tank and cap are brand new 2 weeks ago (when I did the initial drain). They have both been working just fine (pressure tested the tank upon dropping it in and also did the slow open a week or so ago and saw the water/flush mixture that I had in there expand due to boiling point being lowered/reached).

I know it's a long post. I'm not too concerned just wanted a few things clarified which you all do very well.

Thanks and to all you lady TCCA members, Happy Valentines Day!

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Isnt 0125 failure to reach sufficient coolant temp withing a given time period? In other words, it took too long for coolant to reach a specified temp after a cold start? (I am doing this code definition from memory... too lazy to actually look it up) If so, the most likely cause is a partly stuck open thermostat. Could also be a faulty ECT telling the PCM coolant temp is too low. I would use a scan tool and see what the ECT is telling the PCM the coolant temp is. I would monitor temp from a cold start until the temp stabilizes.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jeff K, yes I think you're memory is right. The 2 things that could be faulty were sensors or thermostat. Since this code was thrown, about a week ago, it has not come back. However, the temps seem to run on the low side.

I have ordered a new Motorcraft thermostat from RockAuto. Does the gasket/O-ring need to be replaced every time? I see that there is the housing gasket (which should be fine) and then a thermostat seal. I wasn't sure what *should* be replaced when putting in a new thermostat; especially since the rubber at these points is subjected to so much heat.

Suggestions/Recommendations?

Also, how long does it take your car to build up good pressure within the reservior tank? Does it do it only when the temp is at NORMAL or does it start building up right away?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thermostat O-ring?

I have finally gotten my Thermostat in from RockAuto (also posting that code to the Discount area). My question is in regards to the O-ring. Does that need to be replaced (or should it be replaced) when I go to put the new T-stat in?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Ricer333, ive never had that code come up on my tauri, but have on a number of gm vehicles ive worked on. The suggested fix on them is to replace the thermostat and ect (engine coolant temp. sensor), although the thermostat alone would prob. suffice. I would just drain the coolant down below the thermostat level and replace all gaskets and/or o-rings.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks sheila,
I should have just ordered the o-ring and the housing gasket to be on the safe side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts