Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone happen to know the general price a dealership would charge to run "Full Diagnostics" on my 98 Taurus?. Father suggested I have it done since we can't figure out this damn misfire(Read my other posts if you're curious). He used to work at a dealership and said they USED to charge 1 hours labor for it. Would like a general price before I take it somewhere.

Also is it actually called "Full Diagnostics" used to be called something like "60 pin Diagnostics" I think is what my dad called it. Basically want them to hook up to my car and see if they can give me the reason for the misfire ie some sensor is going bad or whatnot. Tired of throwing money into this and want it fixed before it causes major damage...

·
Registered
834 Posts
I think the dealership near me charges somewhere between $90-$100 to diagnose a problem.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I think the dealership near me charges somewhere between $90-$100 to diagnose a problem.
[/b]
:werd: The "diagnostic" fee.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The Ford dealer I work at charges 1 hour labor, or $80. That is the standard fee (1 hour) for most places right out of the service manuals, ALLDATA, etc. A cheaper alternative is Autozone or Advance. Sometimes they will do diag for free if you buy the part to fix it from them.

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Got one done a few months back for $90. Mine was for a misfire as well. It was a little more than 1hr labor, I remember because they wanted to charge me $65 to install the ignition coil that was bad. I did it myself in their lot.

The Ford dealer I work at charges 1 hour labor, or $80. That is the standard fee (1 hour) for most places right out of the service manuals, ALLDATA, etc. A cheaper alternative is Autozone or Advance. Sometimes they will do diag for free if you buy the part to fix it from them. [/b]
Definitely not the same "diagnostic", they just read the codes, even if you don't buy parts. When I had a misfire, it wasnt throwing a code, so autozone wouldn't have caught it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks alot guys. That's about the price I was figuring between 75-100 for it. Really do hope they can figure out this misfire for me.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Cool thanks alot guys. That's about the price I was figuring between 75-100 for it. Really do hope they can figure out this misfire for me.
[/b]
They'll figure it out...dealership mechanics have a slew of resources at their disposal. They rarely throw their hands up and shrug their shoulders at a problem with one of their cars. I wouldn't pay them til they do though...but that goes for saying about any service related business transaction.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Roughly $100 for Ford dealers in my area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts