Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that people who've had issues with heater cores plugging up have been just flushing them after the cause of the problem has been fixed. My question is, why not just replace it with a new one and be done with it? Heater cores don't really cost that much.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I'm the type to go through a bit of pain to fix an issue, I do fix aircraft for a living.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I guess I'm the type to go through a bit of pain to fix an issue, I do fix aircraft for a living.
I have been building machines for 30 years and working on my cars longer, I agree that its better to fix the problem than put a band-aid on it, but the average person today doesnt own half the tools or basic repair skills to tackle the harder jobs. I've done 99% of the work on my cars, the only thing I didnt do was the trans on my 99 when it toasted.

The big issue is people just dont have the skills that are needed. :eek:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I have been building machines for 30 years and working on my cars longer, I agree that its better to fix the problem than put a band-aid on it, but the average person today doesnt own half the tools or basic repair skills to tackle the harder jobs. I've done 99% of the work on my cars, the only thing I didnt do was the trans on my 99 when it toasted.

The big issue is people just dont have the skills that are needed. :eek:
Agreed. However, a plugged heater core is not really broken-it's just dirty. If you can get the crap out, and you prevent further crap from returning by changing the coolant regularly, why change it?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I spent 2 hours doing mine. I now have 6+ gallons of solid orange water from the flushing, not counting the old coolant. It only puts out half the heat it should and when I first started driving it I got a nice coolant smell inside that hasn't come back. I'm probably going to be changing the heater core in the next week or two. I wouldn't bother trying to flush it again, not with how much crap was in the system.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I spent 2 hours doing mine. I now have 6+ gallons of solid orange water from the flushing, not counting the old coolant. It only puts out half the heat it should and when I first started driving it I got a nice coolant smell inside that hasn't come back. I'm probably going to be changing the heater core in the next week or two. I wouldn't bother trying to flush it again, not with how much crap was in the system.
Did you try 'Clinton Flush' with addition of Wet & Dry Vac to suck out crap from the expansion tank? Or just a regular flush? Because mine started working perfect after that. Hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Agreed. However, a plugged heater core is not really broken-it's just dirty. If you can get the crap out, and you prevent further crap from returning by changing the coolant regularly, why change it?
Dont get me wrong, I agree, its better to try the easy route first most of the time. I had a 99 vulcan sedan, and had the typical heater core plug up. I flushed it good in the fall, but by the middle of winter it was acting up again. I did end up getting rid of the car before I changed the core though. :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts