Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was previously driving ZX3 Focus for around a year, but it was recently repoed. In the time I had the car I upgraded to Alpine speakers (around 40watts rms), powered by an aftermarket headunit (18watts or so rms). Sounded good until about 3/4 max volume when the sound would become very distorted. From what I understand, the distortion was caused by the speakers being under powered. Is that correct?

So I'm thinking about buying my mom's 2003 SableLS with 109k (mostly highway miles) on the dtec and the mach audio system. For just being two tweeters and four 5x7s, it sounds great, but I'd still like a little bit more out of it. My main question is how much power (rms) does the mach rcu put out? Also, what are the stats of the stock mach speakers?

I did a little bit of searching around.. came up with some of the information I was looking for, but if I'm spending money, I just need to make sure. Also, I tried searching right now, and I don't think that feature is working right.

Thanks for any and all help in advance.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Yes it's an 80 watt amp. Also, the speakers are 6x8, not 5x7. The speakers are rated at 25 watts and 4 ohms.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it's an 80 watt amp. Also, the speakers are 6x8, not 5x7. The speakers are rated at 25 watts and 4 ohms.
[/b]
Aren't 5x7s and 6x8s the same size?. Maybe a little bit different in design but it's the same size.

Would it even be worth it to replace the speakers? And I'd be looking for around a 20watt rms rating on them?

·
Registered
116 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Aren't 5x7s and 6x8s the same size?. Maybe a little bit different in design but it's the same size.

Would it even be worth it to replace the speakers? And I'd be looking for around a 20watt rms rating on them?
[/b][/quote]

Its DEFINATELY worthy replacing stock speaks when you have the mach.

I installed 90w components in the front and 60 watt 2-ways in the rear. It was a night and day difference.

If I were you. I would purchase speakers that you want regardless of their rms raiting. That way, if you get a proper amp in the future, you wont have to buy new speakers again.

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
:werd:
Upgraded speakers make a huge difference in sound.
I used pioneers. :)

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

5x7 = 5 inch tall by 7 inch wide
6x8 = 6 inch tall by 8 inch wide

They aren't technically the same size, they just use the same mounting points.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts