Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I bought an original Ford AM/FM/Tape Player for my dad's 2001 Bull, to replace his stock AM/FM radio.

I was told it should have been a plug-n-play swap, but while unplugging his old radio I noticed that one connector (second from the left in the photo) is completely different from the new unit. The new unit, with four large blade connectors, doesn't even come close to the original, which is a very small connector with small gauge wiring.

Except for the tape player, both units look exactly the same, manual climate controls, rear defog control, etc. All of the other connectors are a perfect fit.

Anyone know if there is adapter out there to plug into the original harness and fit the oddball connector on the new radio with tape player?

TIA! Carl

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Ford has 3 or 4 different numbered radios for each model year. Just go to car parts.com, click up 01 taurus,radio cd and see what I mean. Please show a pic of the entire back of your radio because I'm looking to replace mine too. My 01 cassette won't fit my 02 std radio either. My 02 std radio is labeled 1F1F18C858AC. I'm not sure which cassette model will work since I don't have all the models.

Y

·
0 Posts
duraSEL

by your name I'm assuming you have a 2001 SEL, now if this is true, you can't swap anything out because you have the digital climate controls. you can only add a CD changer to it.

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
It's a little tricky in my families car network. We have 4 Tauruses! My daughter has a 98 comfort, my son a 00SE, my wife an 02LX and I have the 01 SEL. I meant to say the 01 cassette radio doesn't fit the 02 standard radio wiring plugs.

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
I still messed up what I was trying to say!!!!!!!!! This is it..... The 00 SE cassette does not work with the 02 standard radio wiring plugs. THERE!

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
Sorry it took so long to check into your radio situation. No time to pull the radio till now. I have the same problem but I think I solved it. The middle plug seems to be pretty much universal (on the radios I've seen). The side for your blower speed is removable from the back. The side you mentioned (for controlling where the air flows) is removable from the inside of the radio (it snaps out). Just flip the radio over, remove the 4 screws in the corners and carefully lift off the face ( there's like an 18 prong plug you don't want to mess up). Snap out the piece, snap in your section from the original radio and you should be set (I took the radio out of my wife's car and played around with it. Took it apart, checked it out, put it back together and it's back in the car working fine).
I have not actually switched yet because I need to get a cassette unit too so I can replace my wife's AM-FM factory stereo in her 02 LX. I need the cassette unit for the CD button which is not on the std. radio. I already have the factory 6 disk player to put in the trunk. Someone in the club sold an 03 cassette unit a few weeks back but I missed it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts