Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone knew a site I can get a SIRUS Add-On for a factory player. Thinking this might be my fist mod to the car. When my car was in the shop they gave us a rental with SIRIUS and I fell in love with it. I have only found 1 that will fit my car. But there got to be more I assume. The one I found is below. I relly have no need for the TV function but would love to make the car a wifi hot spot abilty. Thanks in advance.

Alice
CRUTCHFIELD: SIRIUS SCV1 Backseat TV™ System

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after several hours of web surfing I’m not sure I can install on my own. Found out that most say direct wire to the radio that the fm transmitters are junk. Below is what I found at best buy. Mind u I would love the Sportster 5 but all I really want is good music and a basic model will work.

If any of you have any more suggestion I am open to them.

Best Buy: SIRIUS - Stratus 5 Dock & Play Radio with Complete Vehicle Kit
Best Buy: SIRIUS - FM Direct Audio Relay
Best Buy: Geek Squad® - In-Store Satellite Radio Advanced Installation

Alice

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I don't think there are that will plug in and make it compatible.

I hear you on Sirius radio, it's amazing. I got a Sirius Starmate 4. What I love about it is the ability to rewind, pause, and fast forward when not life. That's one thing to consider when getting a receiver. Bought mine from Circuit City :)

The easiest way is to mount it similar to this:

The Sirius antenna like that...

My advice is instead of using the POS FM Direct Adapter. I have that, and during high speeds like on highways, each bump, affects the sound quality, and static and such makes the sound worse. I plan on upgrading this to the Line In input
Using this:
Ford Aux in adapter

Then run a long RCA to 3.5mm cable to the front into the satellite radio.

But I haven't seen an integrated solution that makes it look clean.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Avoid the Stratus. I mean... It's nice, but you get no features...

If you love music, have favorite bands, and you will get out of your car, get distracted, and maybe miss something.

The StarMate series allows the play/pause/rewind, and even allows you to save artist and songs in. So if you're driving, and let's say you love Pink Floyd (I do, everyone else should too :p ) and you're flipping though channels, and Pink Floyd comes on another channel, it alerts you so you can flip to it. Or if you hear a song that just blows your mind away, you can hit Memo, and select store song, then go home, and go review it to download it on iTunes :)

I originally bought a Stratus 4, but then once I learned about the features from the Starmate, I had to switch, luckily Sirius switched my subscription without charging me :D

Oh, and this may or may not be because I dislike Best Buy.... But install is so easy, no drilling required... If you seriously want it, I would be willing to take more pictures of how I installed all the wires. I didn't take much on how I wired it, because well... It's easy. :p

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well from what I was reading they say u really need to put Sirius antenna on roof and tuck the wires along the widows I don’t know if the 06 Taurus as away to tuck it but I could mount on the trunk lid I guess. All I know is all the reviews say direct wire to your stereo via aux wire or antenna adapter because the transmitters don’t work well in big cities and Tulsa a big city. Also how dos hook this up help???

Alice

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Sportster 5 should be same install as the Starmate 4.

I would assume the Aux in would be great, since it doesn't get any interference like the FM Direct cable. Most urban areas have a signal repeater to get signal in urban areas. I didn't put any wires outside my car. The antenna for the Sirius radio, I put on my trunk lid (Last picture you can see it that I posted)

I get 3 out of 3 bars of reception each time. Maybe 2 shortly, but back to 3.

The experts SAY to put it outside... But again, mine is under my rear window, and works great.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i see it in your rear window suprsed it works becase sirius webpage says it has to be mounted on metal. do u have a pictutre wher u install the aux switch adapter??? also do you know wher i could find a long enough 3.5m to rca cable???

Alice

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I haven't gotten that yet. I have heard it works great. But it plugs into the RCU, which is the little silver box in the trunk underneath the carpeting, on the driver side strut tower.

Basically plugs into the hole that the CD Changer would normally use. Therefore, gives better sound quality.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahh nice. Sirius would be way better then CD changer, not to mention has in dash CD player already. I just don’t know where I would get a long enough 3.5 to RCA cable. Longest is see at Crutchfield is the monster cable and it’s on 7ft. which sounds a little short

The only reason I’m looking at the cheep one is because it is cheap this is adding up fast. Sportster 5 is 100 more than the Stratus 5, plus I can always upgrade down the road.

1. Stratus 5 Dock & Play Radio + Vehicle Kit = $69.99
  2. Precision Interface Electronics FRDR-AUX = $69.99
  3. 3.5mm to RCA Cable = ????
So looking at least $140 Plus Shipping. Although I could get the radio at best buy and save on shipping there.

Alice

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
QUOTE (6stringRocketeer @ Apr 23 2009, 08:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719892
Let me know how it goes, boss. I'm interested in doing this to my 04 in the future.[/b]
i will. i think i will stat with thew sporster kit this pay day then next month get the auxelrery kit

Alice
P.S> when my fiance got up said get the beter one. he says i have hard time buying self anything nice

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well talked to one the top radio installer companies in the city. They said it would need about 16' cable at least. Maybe what I’ll do is buy a 25' 3.5mm male to female cable for 6 bucks. Then I’ll buy 6" 3.5mm to RCA splitter for 2 bucks. I’m going have to buy the radio fist then get the rest down the road probably next month. Oh the radio tec say they work fine on dashes her they say the roof is best for vertical cities like New York. They say Sirius just playing it safe. Below is my shopping list

First:
Sportster 5 Dock & Play Radio + Vehicle Kit: $139.99-$169.99 (possible discount deal)

Second:
Precision Interface Electronics FRDR-AUX: $69.99
3.5mm Stereo Plug/Jack M/F Cable - 25ft: $6.00
3.5mm Stereo Male Plug to 2 RCA Male Plugs Splitter: $1.95

Alice
P.S. They cary cable up to 100', just FYI

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I should have done this awhile ago, but I made a howto on my situation with some pics and spending over 9000 hours in MS Paint editing and adding captions to the pictures, and resized them from 3648x2736 @ 6 MB per pic...

Step 1: You need power to your Satellite Radio...

Instead of hacking away at the plug and soldering, I just did this. It works. Running the provided power plug into the cigarette lighter or power point, whatever people want to call em nowadays.

Then under the dash, I wrapped the cord around a strand of wires once

Step 2: Routing power wire and other wires

I ran the power wire under the dash, then wrapped it around a strand of wires once to prevent it from sagging, then ran it though a hole into that side plastic. That plastic piece prys open, and nothing behind there really, but I chose to run the wires though that, and up to the pillar.

Step 3: Antenna. Gotta have your SIRIUS/XM Antenna plugged in to get them tunes!

I placed my antenna on my trunklid, tucked the wire underneath, and used a piece of double sided tape, which has been working fine. Then ran the wire down the side of the seat to underneath to the bottom trim.

Step 4: Plugging audio into the RCU (In trunk)

I just tucked the cable to the side, and ran it out to underneath the bottom of the passenger seat. You do have to remove the bottom of the seat, easy. No tools required:

On each side, press down with your arm, and with your hand, press into about where my hand is located, and then pull up. Not too hard, installation is a matter of putting the seat back in, and then pushing down.

Wire from trunk, I had some excess from the FM Direct Antenna, I think that's 25 feet too... Then put that beneath the side plastic on the floor.

Running the wires underneath this.

More, I peeled out a piece of wire to show how I have it. Make sure your cable is between seatbelt and car, not between seatbelt and chair...

Self explanatory with captions inside.

Sirius Radio in my opinion is worth every penny. I use it each time I drive. I like the Howard channels and the rock channels. Almost always something on to listen to. And uncensored. I love uncensored radio.

That location I found to be best for my needs. Also prevents anyone else from touching it, or you can hand them the remote to let them change it. There are many different ways to install this thing. But the method I posted, requires 0 tools.

Should probably throw this in the Wiki for anyone interested.

This install was done on a 2005 Taurus SE, though it should work with 2000-2007 Taurus and Sable installs.

Hope this helps you in any way! :thumb:

Good luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
should work. I plan to only temp mount the transmitter antenna with suction cups till I get that aux kit. On a side not I found out I can get the sportster 5 for only $134.99. The reason is I am an AAA Member and I get a 20% off radios and accessories through the Sirius webpage store. Knew that club was good for something.

Alice

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
http://www.tss-radio.com/ford-auxiliary-in...age-p-5998.html

X3 Ford Auxiliary Input Package 3 $49.99

This product contains the following items:
X3 Triple Input Auxiliary Adapter
X3-FRDW Harness

Then all you need is the Radio (which you can get at the same place for $139.99 with car kit, and free shipping) and Aux cable + if you have an iPod, you can connect it at the same time and use the switch on the Triple Input Auxiliary Adapter to choose either Sirius or iPod.

Did a price check on Radio and Aux input comes to $189.98 at The Sirius Store

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
QUOTE (Sorian @ Apr 29 2009, 02:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=721687
http://www.tss-radio.com/ford-auxiliary-in...age-p-5998.html

X3 Ford Auxiliary Input Package 3 $49.99

This product contains the following items:
X3 Triple Input Auxiliary Adapter
X3-FRDW Harness

Then all you need is the Radio (which you can get at the same place for $139.99 with car kit, and free shipping) and Aux cable + if you have an iPod, you can connect it at the same time and use the switch on the Triple Input Auxiliary Adapter to choose either Sirius or iPod.

Did a price check on Radio and Aux input comes to $189.98 at The Sirius Store[/b]
Oh wow, Think I know what I am buying... :D

You have it Sorian?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hey that X3 thing I have in my car!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts