Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I NEED to modify my '01...It's just sitting there, all stock, mocking me....

I plan on getting a chip asap, but what could/should be done first?

Throttle Body : Are they different from the gen3's? If so, could it be bored out?

Lower Intake : Can it be bored out? Ported & polished? Could gen3 secondaries be added?

EGR Removal : Any benefit?

Colder Thermostat : Any benefit?

Cams : Will the SVT's fit? (Not that i have the time/money/know-how to even find a pair, just curious. :) )

Is there anything else? Or maybe i should just get a Tornado and a type R sticker and call it a day. :D

S

·
0 Posts
Intake: Try making a home-made Cold Air Intake. If you want, I sell one too. It's up to you. It's fairly easy.

Exhaust: Flowmaster's are the ones I like. Preffer actually. a good 40 series should run you about $50 each.

UDP: Unfortunetly no one makes on for the Duratec anymore... but you might find a good used set out there. Not going to be cheap though... rare find.

Chip: Alberto makes a 92 Octane Program that you might want to look into (www.americanmotorsport.com) Suppose to be really good. Best bang for the buck I've heard.

Thats all that comes to mind. Should be a great setup. Let me know what you think

Sal

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
Search is your friend....i searched for "SVT cams" ;)

throttle body is a waste to bore out, if you want a biger one, replace it

Brad

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by SableSal@Sep 13 2004, 04:49 AM
Intake: Try making a home-made Cold Air Intake. If you want, I sell one too. It's up to you. It's fairly easy.

Exhaust: Flowmaster's are the ones I like. Preffer actually. a good 40 series should run you about $50 each.

UDP: Unfortunetly no one makes on for the Duratec anymore... but you might find a good used set out there. Not going to be cheap though... rare find.

Chip: Alberto makes a 92 Octane Program that you might want to look into (www.americanmotorsport.com) Suppose to be really good. Best bang for the buck I've heard.

Thats all that comes to mind. Should be a great setup. Let me know what you think

Sal
I was thinking of stuff that would affect the parameters of the chip, which i plan on getting from american motorsport...I had an Apten chip in my gen3 and loved it. Since Alberto can alter all the parameters in the ECU, i wanna give him some more parameters to change. :)

I wasn't thinking about UDPs, will the ones made for the gen3 work on a gen4 with the driver's side water pump?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Baby SHO@Sep 13 2004, 06:47 AM
Search is your friend....i searched for "SVT cams" ;)

throttle body is a waste to bore out, if you want a biger one, replace it

Brad
Oh, i searched, drooled, wished.... :)

Someone posted (sorry, forgot who) that the gen4 may have milder cams to make up for the lack of butterflies...If so, would the SVT cams cause a drop in low-end torque?

As for throttle bodies, where could i find one that would work on a gen4 without much modification? And how big would be overkill?

Dan

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Finding a TB that would work on the Gen IV's is a pain, and it won't change any parameteres when Alberto is programming unless it is a really big difference. My TB is 62mm but tapers open to 67mm.

Water injection allows your timing to be advanced farther and Alberto can tune for that. With water injection and premium gas I was putting down 210.6 #/ft of torque with the stock exhaust and a home depot CAI.

Getting a bigger MAF and TB are helpful when getting into forced induction but a very little without.

Look into water/alcohol injection. I have the cheap aquatune system. www.aquatune.com and it works great for N/A engines, but when I get the blower I'm going to get one with a pump.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
yes, cams would drop in, and no all 3.0L duratecs except the 3.0L jag are the same cams. This includes escapes and the like.

Brad

B

·
0 Posts
My vote is with Alberto's chip or PCM reflash. Best bang for the buck IMO.

From there I'd do the common stuff:

CAI
Exhaust
Water injection or induction (we'll talk more about this later)

The upper intake is composite, as are the MAF, and TB I think (?). Not really much to be gained there.

I don't think the SVT cams would help much either. They're the same lift and all, just a longer duration and different lobe separation angle. Nothing you'd notice really, especially for the time and money you'd put into it.

IMO, you should just drop it off with a blank check or credit card, and I'll call you when it's supercharged and banging down 300 FWHP with a 5-speed trans. :p

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Sep 13 2004, 06:54 PM
IMO, you should just drop it off with a blank check or credit card, and I'll call you when it's supercharged and banging down 300 FWHP with a 5-speed trans. :p
i'd be happy to drop off a blank credit card w/my car :D

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by j0rd4n+Sep 13 2004, 07:12 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (j0rd4n @ Sep 13 2004, 07:12 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Bob Gervais@Sep 13 2004, 06:54 PM
i'd be happy to drop off a blank credit card w/my car :D [/b][/quote]
Someone always finds the loophole! :lol:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Kermit@Sep 13 2004, 05:28 PM
Water injection allows your timing to be advanced farther and Alberto can tune for that. With water injection and premium gas I was putting down 210.6 #/ft of torque with the stock exhaust and a home depot CAI.
Was that with a chip?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Bob Gervais@Sep 13 2004, 06:54 PM
The upper intake is composite, as are the MAF, and TB I think (?). Not really much to be gained there.

I don't think the SVT cams would help much either. They're the same lift and all, just a longer duration and different lobe separation angle. Nothing you'd notice really, especially for the time and money you'd put into it.

What about the lower intake?

I'll drop it off with a blank check next week...Should make a great trampoline for the kids. :D

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
from what I have learned on the Contour boards..... increasing the diameter of the intake ports on the Gen 4 3L's is more detrimental than beneficial. The increase in area decreases the air velocity. Air velocity is critical for exhaust purge and intake volume, especially on multi valve OHC engines.

plus, the Gen 4 intakes I have looked at were already gasket matched. I have looked at the plastic intakes and I have a Mondeo ST220 aluminum intake in my possession.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Originally posted by Dagamemnon+Sep 14 2004, 07:15 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dagamemnon @ Sep 14 2004, 07:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Kermit@Sep 13 2004, 05:28 PM
Water injection allows your timing to be advanced farther and Alberto can tune for that.  With water injection and premium gas I was putting down 210.6 #/ft of torque with the stock exhaust and a home depot CAI.
Was that with a chip? [/b][/quote]
Alberto's Microtuner yes....

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by spridget@Sep 14 2004, 01:46 PM
from what I have learned on the Contour boards..... increasing the diameter of the intake ports on the Gen 4 3L's is more detrimental than beneficial. The increase in area decreases the air velocity. Air velocity is critical for exhaust purge and intake volume, especially on multi valve OHC engines.

plus, the Gen 4 intakes I have looked at were already gasket matched. I have looked at the plastic intakes and I have a Mondeo ST220 aluminum intake in my possession.
:withstupid:

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by spridget@Sep 14 2004, 01:46 PM

what about the g4 ffv vulcans?? I might just try taking the thing off one day and checking it out for myself. if the intakes are good, i will just go for heads and cam.

Im with everybody else....Chip it...chip it good.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by Taurussetypes@Sep 14 2004, 10:53 PM
what about the g4 ffv vulcans?? I might just try taking the thing off one day and checking it out for myself. if the intakes are good, i will just go for heads and cam.

Im with everybody else....Chip it...chip it good.
The vulcans are pushrod overhead valve engines. They should respond well to porting, polishing, and gasket matching. Aftermarket heads, roller rockers, and cams are available for Vulcan powered Ford Rangers and Probes. Plus, the FFV vehicles have larger injectors....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, looks like my only real option is the chip.

And now thanks to Kermit i got water on the brain. :)

Wow, the aquatune costs almost as much as a Zex kit, but i think with NO2 i'd spray myself into oblivion anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts