Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2001 LX. I want to remove the center console (with shifter) to install some electronics in and/or around the front of console that ducks under the dashboard close to the firewall. The console's storage compartment also has a CD changer installed.

I have no idea how to carefully remove this thing. I may be able to remove just the "holder tray" that has the coin storage and a rectangular tray and sits underneath the lower part of the dashboard around the ashtray.

I also need to remove the ceiling trim and front roof support beam trim (next to windshield) around the passenger side to install a mobile phone antenna wire.

Any suggestions? :question:

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Take out the cd player first. First removed that black trim liner in the center console, then there are four bolts that hold the changer to the bracket I believe.

Next, pop off that black trim piece that goes around the shifter, pop it from where the drink holder is, it comes off pretty easily.

Next, on each side of the console there are two small tabs that flip downward, flip them downward and remove the bolts there.

Now you should be able to pull the console off with all that removed. I have have forgot a bolt or two, but thats all the major ones.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I just did this in my 2000 Mercury Sable. I installed a PIE X3 Aux input for my XM radio (that was mounted in the trunk next to the RCU).

Here is my quick webpage I threw together for XM411.com. Check it out, it should help you remove the console. All in all taking the console out was pretty easy.

Removing Console in 00 Sable

·
Registered
162 Posts
Originally posted by fire_storm20@Oct 21 2004, 08:03 PM
You should PM a Mod and get that put in the Modifications section.  That XM install looks really good.  Do you have any leakage from where the antenna goes trhough the weather stripping?  ;)
Thanks. I have zero leakage where the wire goes through. I cut a small slit in the rubber near where the wiring for my rear light goes trough, stuck the XM wire through, and once I got everything in place, I put a small bit of silicone sealant on both sides. So far so good. I had orginally had the wire running under the trunk lid gasket (I pulled the gasket up in the corner, and used a rat tail file and made a notch in the metal. I ran the wire through there and pushed the gasket back down. While this worked, I was concerned the the pressure would eventually cut the wire on my antenna. When I purchased a new antenna (Terk Micro) I changed the way I ran the wire.

I also thought about moving my XM radio up near the front of the car (avoid running the 16 foot audio cable) but I really didn't want to mess with it. The +12V constant and +12V switched connections are good and tight (I pulled them out of the wiring harness, and used the snap over splice connector things). I also have a good ground there, so I get ZERO engine whine in the system.

I left the large bundle of power cable that comes with the XM unit (yellow and red bundle) so if I ever moved it to another car (or another location in the same car) I would have a long enough power harness. It doesn't look as clean as I would like, but since you cannot see it behind the trunk liner, it is all good.

I the XM "brain" is secured with screws through the sheet metal support. You cannot even really see the XM unit. I also completely removed the FM modulator, as it was basically useless.

If anyone out there needs anteanna lead extension wire, I have it. I got two long runs (12 foot I believe) when I received the XM unit from Crutchfield. I never used the cable since I installed the XM radio a foot away from the RCU and the anteanna cable would reach it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts