Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if any one had picture and a walkthrough on how to install a Factory cd changer in the console of a 06 SEL. i have a indash one but thos long cruzes and trips are so much nicer with yer cd preloded and redy to go. i want it in the console becase our trunk get full of junk at times.

when i baught the car used it had a tape deck in the dash i made arangemnt for them to put in a cd player for free. told me come back tomorow but could take that car that night came back and puled the cd radio out of a o7 and put in in my 06. now i want to improve it more.

Alice
P.S. i alredy know ill need to pull driver seet to do it but more info would be nice

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
I'm assuming you have a floor shift car.

You'll need the CD changer cable. It runs from the RCU in the trunk, down behind the back seat, along the left side under the kick panels, and then across under the driver's seat and up into the console.

You'll also need the console changer brackets (it's just two stamped pieces) and the plastic console bezel that covers up the wiring and the brackets.

You will need to modify your console - it needs the holes for the brackets (you'll see how on the console you get the brackets from), and a larger hole in the side or the bottom of the compartment for the cable.

I really wouldn't bother removing the seat to run the cable on the same route the factory used. You can pull the changer cable out of the donor car without removing the seat (just pull it under the carpet - it might fight a little, but you can work it out). I would run it straight back in the middle along the exhaust tunnel and under the back seat - meet the other factory wiring there.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Jim, you do need to pull the drivers seat out .
The harness runs under the seat and is clipped in about 4 spots to the floor.
There's really no way to slide it out without possibly damaging the harness.

I've worked with that long harness before. :)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Well, it came out :ph34r:

The one I pulled had lots of clips along the kick panels clipping it to the other wiring, but there weren't any clips on the floor other than where I could get to them under where the console was. Maybe some are different? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Could be...........the one I worked with was on an 02. :)

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
haha i got mine getto rigged in my sable... i used what i had and it works! my moms 98 wagon has a bad changer and she couldnt care less so i stole the cable out of it and cut it in half then i extended it wrapped the sheilded wires with some foil and ran it along the exhaust hump up into the console i had the hardest time getting to go under the carpet but i did not remove either of the front seats and it all looks factory you cant tell i did it that way other than i couldnt figure out how to get all the screw back in the console and get it to be all hooked uo but it stays together and is not loose, also i need to go back and solder the wires (i did this before i knew how to solder...)

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
QUOTE (duraSEL @ Apr 20 2009, 04:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=719135
Could be...........the one I worked with was on an 02. :)[/b]
Yes, but remember Gerry... I was helping Jim. Never doubt my strength. We got that thing out and was installed on Tuesday with it working great. We routed the cd changer harness under the carpet from the center console right above the tunnel up under the back seat and back to the amp. It is VERY clean. All the console needed was a hole for the wire which a drill and dremel took care of.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Well...... that explains everything Dave!! :lol2:

Gotta get Jim to start workin out!! :lol2: :lol2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts