Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the gen3 SHO's rack have a quicker ratio then the 4.5's and are they interchangeable?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is this assisted power steering? Is it like an electric power assist? What if it's just not hooked up, will the V8's rack still work with just hydraulics?

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
it wont work on a vulcan car that doesnt have the hookup for the 2 sensors on the rack and tubes. i was gunna put one on my 00 from a sho that was in a local u pull it.. wouldnt work without the sensors hooked up.

if someone else can chime in please do..

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I just was informed on the SHO forum that they both have the same ration but the SHO's has around half a turn less lock-to-lock. Not worth the swap.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The "assisted power steering" is called VAPS: Variable-Assist Power Steering. Basically it maxes out assist at idle and reduces assist down to 50% when moving. As far as I know, my Duratec doesn't have it, but my Essex did. I loved that feature as it made the car's steering on the highway less twitchy.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
QUOTE (JATO @ May 23 2010, 05:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806332
Is there any way to quicken the steering on the standard rack?[/b]
If you have a UDP, take it off and go back to the stock pulley. The UDP seems to increase steering effort at lower speeds.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thread resurrected. :D

This thought crossed my mind today as well, G3 SHO ZF rack in a G4 Vulcan. So did some research into VAPS. There were two types used, one for the SHO and one for the Duratec-powered cars, but both have the same basic function.

SHO:
- Uses the SARC module, signal intercepted from the VSS, has two power inputs, one always hot, one 12V ignition, is wired directly to VAPS actuator on rack.

Tec:
- Uses the GEM under the dash, again, signal intercepted from the VSS, same two power inputs, and again wired directly to VAPS actuator on rack.

Appears to me all you would need would be a GEM from a Duratec car or a SARC module from a SHO. Would probably be easier with the SARC module considering how much is tied into a GEM.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
The GEM attaches to the CJB under the dash. GEM is not engine dependent, nor is the CJB. Is there some other module for what a Duratec uses?

·
Registered
374 Posts
The GEM attaches to the CJB under the dash. GEM is not engine dependent, nor is the CJB. Is there some other module for what a Duratec uses?
I did not think it was engine dependent, but I could not find a GEM wiring diagram that was listed for the Vulcan to verify this. So the better question is where did Ford hide the VAPS connector if the GEM is identical?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I did not think it was engine dependent, but I could not find a GEM wiring diagram that was listed for the Vulcan to verify this. So the better question is where did Ford hide the VAPS connector if the GEM is identical?
No diagram, but I think VAPS is VAPS on either. I have had a TRS go bad on a Vulcan before and one of the things I noticed was the power steering seemed to have less power to it...

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
V8 SHO doesn't have a VSS. Take my word for it.

Speed signal comes from the ABS system.

·
Registered
374 Posts
V8 SHO doesn't have a VSS. Take my word for it.

Speed signal comes from the ABS system.
Then why is Pin 58 on the ECU labeled as VSS+?

SHO VSS:
KOEO = 0hz/0 MPH
Hot idle = 0hz / 0 MPH
30 MPH = 65hz / 30 MPH
55 MPH = 125hz / 55 MPH

Vulcan VSS:
KOEO = 0hz / 0 MPH
Hot idle = 0hz / 0 MPH
30 MPH = 65hz / 30 MPH
55 MPH = 125hz / 55 MPH

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Then why is Pin 58 on the ECU labeled as VSS+?

SHO VSS:
KOEO = 0hz/0 MPH
Hot idle = 0hz / 0 MPH
30 MPH = 65hz / 30 MPH
55 MPH = 125hz / 55 MPH

Vulcan VSS:
KOEO = 0hz / 0 MPH
Hot idle = 0hz / 0 MPH
30 MPH = 65hz / 30 MPH
55 MPH = 125hz / 55 MPH
Cause it's a generic diagram. I've already been through this discussion with the folks here. No VSS on a G3 SHO...
(and yeah, you can find the part listed too, but the SHO owners are adamant about this one...)
Check out this post:
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/159951-v8-sho-transmission-into-v6-duratec.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts