Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im trying to figure out the best/cheapest way to get a cd player in my fiances car. I see the aftermarkets and all that stuff but the metra kit for it looked pretty dumb with the air controls above the radio. She has the 99 limited or w/e but i was wondering is there just a factory dask cd player for the gen3? Her radio has the cd buttom so could i possibly hook up a cd changer? and which one works if soo.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
There is the Schoche kit as well for the gen 3 - looks better IMHO.

No in-dash CD player option for the gen 3 from the factory. You can either find a junkyard Ford CD changer or I believe Kenwood made one that worked with the Ford HU.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
the metra is a better dash kit though, so ive heard [/b]
I've had both, and I strongly disagree. The Schoche kit is a MUCH sturdier kit and looks better. Plus, the HVAC controls are on the bottom on the Schoche kit.

Example of the Schoche kit in my old Vulcan GL:
[attachmentid=23052]

I have heard that the opposite is true of the Gen 4 kits, though - ie, the Metra kit is better.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
<div class='quotemain'> the metra is a better dash kit though, so ive heard [/b]
I've had both, and I strongly disagree. The Schoche kit is a MUCH sturdier kit and looks better. Plus, the HVAC controls are on the bottom on the Schoche kit.

Example of the Schoche kit in my old Vulcan GL:
[attachmentid=23052]

I have heard that the opposite is true of the Gen 4 kits, though - ie, the Metra kit is better.
[/b][/quote]
maybe thats where i heard the metra kit was better... my metra kit seems pretty sturdy, and IMO it looks better than the scosche kit, but thats just me

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Easiest thing is to add the cd changer in the trunk. That was the first stereo mod i did - i pulled out the factory HU to get the part number, then ordered the correct cd changer and mounting brackets to go with it. One other thing to remember tho is that if you want to mount the changer in the factory location on the left side of the trunk, you'll either have to cut a hole in the panel, or get the panel with the molded changer spot in it. As for wiring, the changer came with the harness and plugged directly into the RCU, so that part is easy.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I recommend the Scosche kit. I've actually gotten to putting one in (not in my own taurus though :( ) and its better than the Metra (at least for the G3's) my friends dad (who i was helping) hated the Metra kit and how it had the climate controls on the top.. and it seemed kinda outa place. he also claimed it made a creaking noise whenever you applied pressure to the controls. :dunno:

For head unit recommendations I would prefer a Pioneer over other head units because it produces 22Watts RMS while other produce 18Watts. A little better punch IMO (my Explorer SportTrac has a Pioneer HU)

Easiest thing is to add the cd changer in the trunk. That was the first stereo mod i did - i pulled out the factory HU to get the part number, then ordered the correct cd changer and mounting brackets to go with it. One other thing to remember tho is that if you want to mount the changer in the factory location on the left side of the trunk, you'll either have to cut a hole in the panel, or get the panel with the molded changer spot in it. As for wiring, the changer came with the harness and plugged directly into the RCU, so that part is easy.
[/b]
I found out that certain stock head units CANNOT have the CD changer installed. It depends. You have to have certain "buttons" on the HU. My taurus cannot take one even though it has the CD changer plugin on the antenna. Irritating. Non?

But in his case he just needs to order the kenwood replacement CD changer from crutchfield.

Here ya go buddy. This will fit in the trunk and connect to the factory connection on the antenna in the trunk.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Ite...C669&tp=132

Heres the full choices.

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Gro...5500&tp=132

There is a cheaper alternative. Get a portable CD player and hook it up through the tape deck through a Cassette adapter. (thats what I use. LOL i'm a cheapy)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i do like the scortch or w/e one better..and yes the metra is the better one for the gen4... im not concerned with anything other thank cd player..like the output doesnt mean anything too her..and we tried the portible cd player and she just cant deal with it...cords everywhere.

thanks tho, i think i'll get that kit and a kenwood radio i saw for a good deal.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Well i do like the scortch or w/e one better..and yes the metra is the better one for the gen4... im not concerned with anything other thank cd player..like the output doesnt mean anything too her..and we tried the portible cd player and she just cant deal with it...cords everywhere.

thanks tho, i think i'll get that kit and a kenwood radio i saw for a good deal.
[/b]
Keep in mind if you replace the factory head unit, you have more work to do, since all the speakers are run from the RCU and not the head unit - so you'll have to run wiring back to the RCU to hook into the speaker wires, or run wires from the new head unit to all the speakers. Which is why i said the easiest thing to do is get a factory cd changer and put it in the trunk, since you mentioned that your HU has the cd buttons on it, so all you'd have to do is mount the changer and plug it into the RCU.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
oh...okay i didnt realize that...but now i remember when i had the shop do it on my car they were pissed cause it was alot more work than they thought it was gunna be.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
doesnt the metra kit for the Gen 3 cost more than the scosche kit
[/b]
Where my friends dad got his, yes. (circuit city) *COUGH* I'll let them put in my speakers... but not my HU. :glare:

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
Keep in mind if you replace the factory head unit, you have more work to do, since all the speakers are run from the RCU and not the head unit - so you'll have to run wiring back to the RCU to hook into the speaker wires, or run wires from the new head unit to all the speakers. Which is why i said the easiest thing to do is get a factory cd changer and put it in the trunk, since you mentioned that your HU has the cd buttons on it, so all you'd have to do is mount the changer and plug it into the RCU. [/b][/quote]

Both the Schoche and Metra kits come with all the wiring harnesses and wire needed for the RCU. Not an issue.

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
doesnt the metra kit for the Gen 3 cost more than the scosche kit
[/b]
Where my friends dad got his, yes. (circuit city) *COUGH* I'll let them put in my speakers... but not my HU. :glare:
[/b][/quote]

circuit city put mine in, but it was free... the reason it was free is because when i bought the kit they said thats all i needed, turns out i needed another wiring harness for the defrost or something, and then i had to go back up there another time to get the harness for the radio in the trunk... so my mom complained enough until they put it in :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts