Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, in case you weren't aware already, Shosource.com is working to start up a Group Buy for a Pillar Pod for the Gen 3 cars. It will be setup with 3 x 2 1/16" pods. This is the first review with the pods in place. This mockup came straight from the manufacturer. So what I need is for you all to look over the pictures and respond with your thoughts or idea's. Remember that if you want changes, now is the time to chime in... ;)

Also keep in mind this is just a mockup. It's only a representation of the item in the design stages. The final product will be a fully formed single piece pillar.

Group Buy Thread
Installed Views:
-Exterior:

-Interior:

-Driver's Seat:
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8837/g3pillar006.jpg

(Notice 2nd & 3rd gauges look a little hidden here)

- Perfect stock replacement:

Out of Car Views:
- Showing overlap for normal gauge fitment:

- 1st Pod no problems:

-2nd Pod Large overlap:

As you can see from the fake gauges that the overlap from the first pod is too much to realistically fit a normal 2 1/16" gauge and cover.

-3rd Pod

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the paper gauge is slightly bent towards the 2nd gauge to fit. A complete pod placement here may require you to trim a little off cover in some instances.

My thoughts are the basic location of the pods is good. There just needs to be more room to properly fit the 2nd pod. The 3rd could fit, but we could use about 1/8th" more room.
I am by no means an expert on this. We don't want a mediocre setup. I am just putting my initial thoughts down. Please we need feedback. We want it to be just about perfect... ;)

PS: I am in no way affiliated with Shosource.com. My opinions are my own. I am just trying to help out the community! ;)

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to give you some ideas of the differences between the Gen3 and Gen4 here are the 3 pods laid out side by side...

Here is the Pillar in my Gen4 Sable:

Not quite to form, but it does fit here:

We are starting to see issues here with Pillar pulling away from trim. This is most likely, because it wouldn't snap into place:

A large gap is left between the Pillar and the frame. I tried giving a little pressure, but just couldn't get it to snap into place:
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4664/g3pillar104.jpg

This is just for kicks and giggles. You could likely get this to fit on the final production model if you made some modifications to it or pushed as hard as you could until the clips snapped into place... ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think it looks good overall, but I do agree that the second gage needs to fit better.

·
Registered
179 Posts
too close together... maybe 1.5 to 2 inches more...

if the final version wont have that gap you can see in picture 1 on the back side then i may be down for a set... whats the price and when does the group buy end so i can start saving...?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
QUOTE (Little Blue V6 @ May 28 2010, 12:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807464
too close together... maybe 1.5 to 2 inches more...

if the final version wont have that gap you can see in picture 1 on the back side then i may be down for a set... whats the price and when does the group buy end so i can start saving...?[/b]
Ill find out the price I think around $75.

It begins as soon as we have a good mock up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi,

I also think it looks good overall, but I do agree the gauges need to fit better and separated alittle, They look to close together.

Scott.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Little Blue V6 @ May 28 2010, 09:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807464
if the final version wont have that gap you can see in picture 1 on the back side then i may be down for a set... whats the price and when does the group buy end so i can start saving...?[/b]
The final version I assure you will be a molded piece. Those are just dummy pods, purely being used to get an idea of where things will be.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an FYI. I just got the next mock and will be posting pictures tomorrow. This one definately looks like we are on the right track.

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay here is the updated Mock-Up I received. This one is definately better laid out.

Drivers Seat View:

Passenger Seat View:

Close Up:

(Just a tad close to vents?)

Outside view:

Let me know what you think. Also if you would like to see pictures from another angle. If you think the Pods need to be moved up let me know, they are just screwed on and I can move them. If they need to be seperated or angled differently let me know and I will tell the manufacturer.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
That looks better than the original one. I can't wait to get one in my car. If I do any mods in my car, I want them to look professional, and I get the feeling that when this is finished, it will look like something that could be factory.

·
Registered
214 Posts
That one is wayy better. Still needs to fit a little more flush though.

As for the vents, it doesn't look horrible, but couldn't you just move it up the a-pillar a little bit if you really didn't like it?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Don't have a Gen 3 but if I did I would totally but the final version. This mock up looks much better than the first. Yeah a little up the A pillar would be nice. IMO it's not that it looks bad so close to the vent, but I'm thinking that the heat/cold could mess that gauge up?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Don't have a Gen 3 but if I did I would totally but the final version. This mock up looks much better than the first. Yeah a little up the A pillar would be nice. IMO it's not that it looks bad so close to the vent, but I'm thinking that the heat/cold could mess that gauge up?
No, the cold/hot air from the vents would not affect them. I've never used analog guages, but maybe then.. but I would still doubt it because the radiation coming from the sun on a hot day will heat up your guages more than the vent (car) will ever be able to.

Question, is this pod going to be for the whole A-pillar (as a replacement) or is it just an attachment like the mock-ups have been?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will move it up about 1 inch and take some pictures so you can see the difference. And like LoudSho92 said, this is for the "Whole Pillar" not just he pods. So no you wont be able to move things once it's completed. I think technically if you want just pods the mustang version would work?

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay here is the pillar moved up about 1".

Driver's View:

I think the gap is about perfect at this point.

One more from the passenger view:

Let me know if you like it better now or before.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts