Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember hearing about or maybe reading about an option in the gen3's to have a car-phone mounted in the console. Does anybody have this option? or have a pic of this option? I've never seen it, and I was just curious.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Yeah, i bought my taurus used, it was a fleet car and had the qualcom cell phone kit. it consited of a mounting bracket for the phone, it hung out of the center radio consloe. there was a speaker mounted up near the driver-side visor, and on on the floor under the ashtray as well. i don't have pics, because as terms of the vehicles purchase i requested that it was removed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
yes my car has this option 97 but I perchised the car used with out the hand set in the console the radio always makes a beep, and reads call on the radio display when I first start the car up. Its built into the head unit of the radio I think, and looks no different then the radios with out the phone. There is a mic between the sun visor I think it was hands free

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Yes, it's built in. The RCU in the back has a plug for the cell phone kit. IMO a good idea.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Yeah, I have that option on my bull too. It has the phone plug in port where the storage compartment is on other bulls. It got very annoying to hear a phone beep every time you put the key on... plus there was that whole couple second delay before you could hear anything out of the radio. IT GOT ANNOYING!!!! Now that i've bypassed the factory radio and amp, I no longer get that. I also have the rear mounted antenna that protrudes from the rear windshield. I guess it was for the phone too.

J

·
0 Posts
So does anybody actually use the phone option? I'd really like to see pics of one actually functioning.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
cool
I always thought it would be cool to have an acutal "car phone"

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I saw the original Gone in 60 Seconds and those guys had a huge rotary-dial "car phone" in a Caddy.
It's amazing how technology can shrink stuff.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Its analog. It is still useable, many cell phone companies (like Sprint) still maintain analog networks because the signal is more robust. For example... when my high school was built, they put mesh in the walls and ceiling to block cell phone signals. All the current tech digital signals are rendered useless, but I can still make calls on the analog signal (but don't bother trying to text). If you ask really, really nicely, you might be able to get Sprint or Verizon (who operates an analog network for use by OnStar) to hook one of these phones up.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Its analog. It is still useable, many cell phone companies (like Sprint) still maintain analog networks because the signal is more robust. For example... when my high school was built, they put mesh in the walls and ceiling to block cell phone signals. All the current tech digital signals are rendered useless, but I can still make calls on the analog signal (but don't bother trying to text). If you ask really, really nicely, you might be able to get Sprint or Verizon (who operates an analog network for use by OnStar) to hook one of these phones up.
[/b]
OnStar has gone digital. Older vehicles with OnStar are SOL cause their car won't be compatible.

Analog is dead.

·
Registered
353 Posts
ROFL. I knew what it was instantly. I played piano and the electronic synthesizer in high school.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts