Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you put new KYBs on your Gen 3 (96-99) Taurus or Sable recently? Here's a chance to clean out some of those old parts from your garage. I'm looking for a set of OEM struts. It doesn't matter how used up they are as long as they haven't been in an accident or otherwise bent up.

I'm going to cut off the tops, pull the guts out of them and measure them for conversion with Koni strut inserts. So, it doesn't matter how well they work, as long as the case is sound.

I only need the strut assemblies, no springs, mounts, etc. so the shipping weight is as low as possible. Note that it is may be cheaper to send them individually or in pairs, than in one gigantic box.

So, if you've got a set that are just taking up space, let me know how much you'd like, including shipping to Denver.

A side note: I certainly have a huge pile of my own Sable ejecta in the corner of my garage. When I'm done modifying Seishun, I'm thinking of building a full scale nonworking replica of a Sable with all the removed parts.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Just curious but how do you plan on dis-assembling these high pressured gas shocks? I give you mad props for doing/trying this! Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Kermit@Jan 22 2004, 08:33 PM
Just curious but how do you plan on dis-assembling these high pressured gas shocks? I give you mad props for doing/trying this! Good luck.
Bob,

PM replied

Kermit,

I can't take credit for this, it's something the Gen1/2 SHO people have been doing. You drill a small hole in the bottom of the assembly to let the pressure out, then cycle the piston up and down to get out most of the oil. When it's mostly empty you can cut the top off and yank out the guts.

I'm going to risk the price of the used struts to disassemble and measure them to see if it can work for Gen 3. I checked with Koni, and they haven't looked, so that don't know. I'll let everyone know one way or another.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts