Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like its time to pull her apart.

Im getting some clunks & wear sounds from front end along with just a loose/lazy ride. cant get any power from acceleration but engine/tranny response is strong. I jacked the car up briefly (20min oil change before work) & shook wheels 3-9 & 12-6 no play so i just want to change my full strut assembly from top to bottom & ball joints. i figure this should tighten things up.

This is my 1st strut/suspension install & i have all proper tools torque wrench & all but no parts!!! Whats a good set of quick struts (not too thrilled about monroe) for an affordable price? If no quick struts I dont mind compressing springs so what options would I have for combo? My budget is $300 for struts hopefully less than that. And I was thinking Moog Ball Joints?

Is there anything else I should swap out while I have the front end exposed? So many questions!!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I jacked the car up briefly (20min oil change before work) & shook wheels 3-9 & 12-6 no play so i just want to change my full strut assembly from top to bottom & ball joints. i figure this should tighten things up.
Whats a good set of quick struts (not too thrilled about monroe) for an affordable price? My budget is $300 for struts hopefully less than that.
Is there anything else I should swap out while I have the front end exposed? So many questions!!!
I suggest replacing the plastic end links with Moog metal end links that have zerk fittings, as the plastic end links are also a noise maker. I bought them on rockauto.com for $29.99 each.

If there isn't any ply in the ball joints, why bother replacing them? This job can be a real pain, if you haven't done this task on a Taurus before.

I just bought a pair of new KYB Strut Plus for my car (pre-loaded with springs), at a price of $159 each, plus shipping, from tirerack.com. Best price I could find on those online. This is the first car I'm using KYB struts on, I'll find out Monday when I put them on if I like them or not. I hated the Monroes I had on 2 other cars.

Since you have to take the front brakes off to replace the struts, I suggest replacing those at this time. I bought those at my local Napa. I bought their best rotors (Ultra Premium), and best pads (Adaptive One hybrid pads).

Check the topic finder on replacing these items, it can be a real help.

BTW: check the condition of the rear springs, they're known to rust out and snap! This only applies to the rust belt (happy I live in the south)

·
Registered
587 Posts
may want to consider how much force you are useing when you remove the strut bolts lol's. i may have riped my cradle bolt out when i did mine lol's. i used the jacking point under the a arm which was part of the engine cradle . just becarefull and do it right the hole job with engine cradle. was 800 soming for struts and bolts at discount and the engine cradle came to 675 installed lesson learned. the front were just as stuck in as the rears were. just thought i would mention about the cradle. any ways i went to advanceauto.com when they had 40 off 150 or more and put in about 4 different orders lol's. but any ways be carfull i am not sure if i did it or if it just rusted out meaning the engine cradle.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Im getting some clunks & wear sounds from front end along with just a loose/lazy ride. cant get any power from acceleration but engine/tranny response is strong. I jacked the car up briefly (20min oil change before work) & shook wheels 3-9 & 12-6 no play so i just want to change my full strut assembly from top to bottom & ball joints. i figure this should tighten things up.

This is my 1st strut/suspension install & i have all proper tools torque wrench & all but no parts!!! Whats a good set of quick struts (not too thrilled about monroe) for an affordable price? If no quick struts I dont mind compressing springs so what options would I have for combo? My budget is $300 for struts hopefully less than that. And I was thinking Moog Ball Joints?

Discount Auto Parts - Auto Parts Factory Outlet Store should have anything you need for that job

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
We do offer Ingalls ball joints. They are cheaper, same quality and have zerk fittings: Ingalls Front Ball Joint

You should check your endlinks as well.

If you can not find an acceptable quick strut I would suggest Monroes or KYB with Moog springs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts