Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I sawed off and removed from behind the splashguard in the drivers side wheel well.......

Did I do this right?!?!?!!??!

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yep, looks good. Now you may want to consider getting a cotton-guaze panel filter for your air box. You may also consider Porterizing your existing airbox. Or you could go all out and plumb up your own CAI. The skys the limit.
~~Maverick~~

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Porterizing... hmmm.
I had a look at that link and I don't know exactly what it does, but it appears that it widens the inlet tube to the air box. (?)
I was maybe thinking about just pulling out the air box and fitting a K&N cone....

What you think?

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
When I removed mine, I left a two inch section of the pipe sticking out of into the fenderwell to bring the cool air in, rather than removing the entire tube. Basically does the same thing as the "porterization."

JR

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a K&N Cone filter on my car. If you decide to do this, you may want to consider a CAI. I have a really ghetto one on my car. Its not very showy, but it gets the job done. Its also kind of a ram air system since the intake is down in one of the air vents where moving air can be forced in. Its made out of an empty windshield wiper fluid bottle, dryer ducting, and a whole lotta duct tape.

That white thing is the wiper fluid bottle, which contains the cone filter, making sort of an airbox. Note the dryer ducting exiting through the hole in the fender well.
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=140761&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg' alt='' width='640' height='480' class='attach' />[/url]

This photo shows the inlet on the lower drivers side vent. The tube is capped off with window screen to prevent it from ingesting leaves and other debris.
[url=http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=140762&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg][img]http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=140762&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg' alt='' width='640' height='480' class='attach' />[/url]

I have had no problems with water thus far, and the CAI seems to be doing its job. Its not flashy, but it is effective.

~~Maverick~~

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Maverick@Aug 16 2004, 06:02 PM
If you decide to do this, you may want to consider a CAI.
CAI..... Sorry for my ignorance, but what's a CAI ?
*something* Air Intake?
I see and understand what you're doing with this - you're making sure the cone intake gets cold, outside air as opposed to 'under the hood' hot air, right?

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Not relating to this specific question but still intake silencer related. I removed the silencer from my 93 3.8 sable and it sounded MEAN, but I removed it from my 94 3.8 and it made NO DIFFERENCE in sound at all, what gives.

S

·
0 Posts
I have a K&N Cone filter on my car. If you decide to do this, you may want to consider a CAI. I have a really ghetto one on my car. Its not very showy, but it gets the job done. Its also kind of a ram air system since the intake is down in one of the air vents where moving air can be forced in. Its made out of an empty windshield wiper fluid bottle, dryer ducting, and a whole lotta duct tape.

That white thing is the wiper fluid bottle, which contains the cone filter, making sort of an airbox. Note the dryer ducting exiting through the hole in the fender well.
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=140761&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg' alt='' width='640' height='480' class='attach' />[/url]

This photo shows the inlet on the lower drivers side vent. The tube is capped off with window screen to prevent it from ingesting leaves and other debris.
[url=http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=140762&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg][img]http://www.supermotors.org/getfile.php?id=140762&toggle=fullsize&f=.jpg' alt='' width='640' height='480' class='attach' />[/url]

I have had no problems with water thus far, and the CAI seems to be doing its job. Its not flashy, but it is effective.

~~Maverick~~ [/b][/quote]
Sorry for this... I respect your work, but HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

:lol2: :) :lol2: :lol2: :D :chili: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :lol: :lol: :lol: :grin2: :grin2: :thumb:

Sal

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by 93 Sable@Aug 17 2004, 06:41 PM
Not relating to this specific question but still intake silencer related. I removed the silencer from my 93 3.8 sable and it sounded MEAN, but I removed it from my 94 3.8 and it made NO DIFFERENCE in sound at all, what gives.
What kind of filters are you using?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sorry for this... I respect your work, but HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Don't be sorry, I completely understand. And I'll be the first to tell you, there is nothing professional or showy about my CAI, but I'm not entering any car shows, much less poping my hood for Joe Schmo, so appearance isnt of utmost concern. I may spray paint it black in a week or so, that way it wont look so ridiculous. However, I do know that it works(the wiper fluid bottle collapses a bit at WOT, which is probably an indication of restriction). I do get a little self conscious when Im forced to take it into the shop, and the lead mechanic goes "Nice little hot rod you got there"<smirk>, cause I can just imagine all the mechanics standing in a circle around the car laughing. But, hey, at least I brought a little entertainment into their workday.

~~Maverick~~

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Originally posted by SHO Continental+Aug 18 2004, 12:07 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SHO Continental @ Aug 18 2004, 12:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-93 Sable@Aug 17 2004, 06:41 PM
What kind of filters are you using? [/b][/quote]
I just replaced what was in there with a new STP paper filter. Although the car is quicker in the upper end now (because the old filter was very dirty and restrictive, I could see the rubber airbox to MAF hose collapse when I reved the engine with the hood open, not anymore) it's still quiet though. I even ran it down the street with an open MAF sensor, no airbox or filter, and it was still quiet. I don't get why my 93 was wicked loud and mean sounding, and this ones quiet. Oh well, it will keep me from going WOT all the time, my trans will like me more.

·
Registered
702 Posts
OK, someone show me what the silencer is, so I can go rip it out. :blink:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hmmm... this has got me stumped. Im sure one of the other members can offer an explaination. But in the future, probably best to have an air filter on, especially when driving. And WOT is actually better on the trans(from what I've heard) because, under normal driving, the shifts are longer and softer. At WOT the tranny switches to more of a performance shift program which has shorter, firmer shifts, which puts less wear on the internal clutches of the tranny. However, it also results in higher line preasures which may blow out weak or damaged lines. So I say, go WOT all you want, assuming you do it in a safe responsible manner. [ This has been a public service announcement from Maverick]
~~Maverick~~

·
Registered
142 Posts
SpeedyGreeny, look at the picture in the initial post. That piece of intake is known as the saxophone(sp?), for obvious reasons. The silencer itself is contained within the bloated section of the saxophone. It is a series of baffles designed to quiet the car down. It is possible to remove the baffles and reassemble the saxophone, but for simplicity, most people recomend sawing just above the bloated part of the saxophone, and removing the lower portion. Youll get an excellent intake sound with a paper filter, but youll get even more sound, and a little bit of power, if you switch to a high flow, cotton gauze filter. The saxophone assembly is located in the drivers side fenderwell. Try some of these links for step by step instructions:
Saxophone removal
K&N Cone Filter Install

The other advantage to a K&N and/or CAI is majorly improved throttle response. It was worth the $40 for the filter IMO.
~~Maverick~~

·
Registered
702 Posts
Awesome! Thanks, Mav. Thats exactly what I wanted to know.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts

~~Maverick~~ [/b][/quote]
******* engineering at it's finest! :P :D :blink:

JR

·
Registered
142 Posts
Werd!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts