Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a '98 SE with column shift & after having 2 previous flip-out screens before...the thought of a 3rd is making my stomach hurt...

so after a lil shoppin' around i went ahead & purchased a JVC KW-AVX810 7" receiver. $400 shipped brand new cant beat that with a baseball bat! everything i could ask for (DVD CD MP3 IPOD-A/V USB-A/V SD BlueTooth & the 1st time i saw a detachable 7" screen!!!) no NAVI...but im not pressed for one.
spending money was the easy part...now time 4 my 1st fiberglass project..

the car came with some makeshift pioneer "deh-crap100" cd player in a metra dash kit (99-5715LD)..

so instead of swapping out the pioneer with the state-of-the-art motorized flipout single-din i'll try to fabricate the metra kit into a housing for the JVC...

before i get started...2 drawbacks:

1) where the HANK HILL can i relocate the climate controls!!! (i was thinking about the ashtray or driver door panel or sumthin crazy like that but i dont know how or if i can stretch the vacuum lines)

2) whats the best tool to make precise cuts through plastic with? hopefully something home depot accessible i would rather rent than buy!

heeeelp lol :x:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Cutting plastic: Dremel. Or hacksaw blade.

As for the climate controls the ashtray would probably be your best bet. Not the ideal location, but it's not a good idea to put it in the door panel as the hoses will not like being moved with the hinge so much.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Good luck on your project. I hope you follow through with it. Please update us with pictures as you make progress.

Your 98 SE had a duratec and a column shift? Do you have a floor console or a bench seat? Maybe you could get the console from a 2000-2005 gen 4, I would think it would fit right under your dash since you have a column shift. Then you could move things around I guess.

Once again, good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts