Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, around my workplace (Columbia Presbyterian hospital) today, I saw two weird things...First was a Gen3 Taurus SE sedan with duals...and rear disc brakes? Wtf? Can someone please explain which years did the sedans come with rear disc brakes, as I've always thought only the wagons got them? Second, I saw this really nice Gen4 SEL Wagon (Duratec, leather, sunroof, etc - turns out its owned by the FDNY B) )...with a center console shifter. When were these ever offered on Gen4's? The only Gen4's I've seen had the lame column shifter.

Oh yeah, I'm not even going to talk about the Gen1 Sable Wagon Columbia Presbyterian Hospital uses for one of its security vehicles :lol2:

·
Registered
478 Posts
gen 4 can come with the option of the console shifter....i prefer it alot more to the column shifter.....my 95 has the column, and my rents 02 SE has the console.......not to sure on the brake issue thing though....

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
I think that the Gen 4s with a 'tec came with console shifter. I can't remember ever seeing a Vulcan with a console shifter, but I could be wrong (grabbing fire suit to keep it close by, just incase I am wrong)

·
Registered
112 Posts
My gen4 sable with the vulcan also has the console shifter. My brother is currently looking at some gen4 Taurii, one of which is a vulcan with console shift.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
The Gen IIIs, whether it had the 'tec or the Vulcan, had an option for ABS, which added dual exhaust and rear disc brakes. You really don't see a whole lot of them. I'm luck that I got one with the 'tec!

JR

·
Registered
359 Posts
Originally posted by Troper8@Jun 16 2004, 11:53 AM
I think that the Gen 4s with a 'tec came with console shifter. I can't remember ever seeing a Vulcan with a console shifter, but I could be wrong (grabbing fire suit to keep it close by, just incase I am wrong)
My G4 has the 'tec and has the column shifter. The trim level is an SE/SVG. I don't mind it very much. I got used to my Explorer's column shift.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
It's not that I don't love my car......I just hate that [email protected] column shifter. I feel like i'm in drivers ed or dad let me get the keys for a little while. Maybe if they made a chrome plated one or billet shifter........ :rolleyes: NAH, I hate the shifter either way. :angry:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 16 2004, 01:13 PM
The Gen IIIs, whether it had the 'tec or the Vulcan, had an option for ABS, which added dual exhaust and rear disc brakes. You really don't see a whole lot of them. I'm luck that I got one with the 'tec!

JR
ABS does not add rear disc brakes nor dual exhaust on Gen 3's, at least not all of them. My '99 'tec has ABS with rear drums and single exhaust. The change from dual to single exhaust outlets for the 'tecs was one of the changes for late '99 models. As far as I know no Vulcans ever came with dual outlets.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I don't understand why people hate the column shifters so much. It's not like it's a manual transmission or anything, once you put it in drive what difference does it make? Plus I like that the column shift leaves extra room for the cupholders and storage compartment.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
My last two cars were manual (1987 BMW 535is(dad got tired of it) and 1994 Honda Accord Wagon) as well as the car I learned to drive in.(1968 Beetle) It just feels naked without something there plus it looks sportier to me.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Originally posted by dIESEL600+Jun 16 2004, 01:13 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dIESEL600 @ Jun 16 2004, 01:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-godspunk32@Jun 16 2004, 01:13 PM
The Gen IIIs, whether it had the 'tec or the Vulcan, had an option for ABS, which added dual exhaust and rear disc brakes.  You really don't see a whole lot of them.  I'm luck that I got one with the 'tec!

JR
ABS does not add rear disc brakes nor dual exhaust on Gen 3's, at least not all of them. My '99 'tec has ABS with rear drums and single exhaust. The change from dual to single exhaust outlets for the 'tecs was one of the changes for late '99 models. As far as I know no Vulcans ever came with dual outlets. [/b][/quote]
I've seen plenty of Vulcan's with dual exhaust.

The ABS option might have added them until the end of the 98 model year. Not sure, all I know is that the research I have done indicates that the ABS option added disc and dual exhaust. My car was built on 10/27/97, so anything after that I can't vouch for.

JR

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by godspunk32@Jun 16 2004, 02:37 PM
I've seen plenty of Vulcan's with dual exhaust.
Are you sure? You know there are Duratecs out there that don't have the badging on the front fenders.

I could certainly be wrong, I just thought the only Gen 3's that had duals were the early 'tecs and the SHOs.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
How hard would it be to do an exhaust swap from a Duratech with duals to the single exhaust on the Vulcan?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Originally posted by dIESEL600@Jun 16 2004, 10:17 AM
I don't understand why people hate the column shifters so much. It's not like it's a manual transmission or anything, once you put it in drive what difference does it make? Plus I like that the column shift leaves extra room for the cupholders and storage compartment.
I so agree with you! You only use it like for a few seconds anyways and it's not like you're gonna do quick shifting so why waste the space? I've had a few times when I've had to drive 6 people and that middle seat comes in handy. :biggergrin:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Jun 15 2004, 08:07 PM
I think only the 96 SE's got the duals and discs.. then they stopped for 97-99 and only had them on SHOs
No such animal as the 96SE, SE was dropped from the lineup in 96, not to return until 98, our 98 is such an example of an early SE, built in 11/97 for fleet consumtion we got the car in late 98/ early 99. For the 99's ford took away the 4-wheel disks and anti-lock only disk-drum +abs, 96-97s didn't have fender badging but a car with duals was typically a LX with the tec.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Well...bout that dual exhaust on a Vulcan. The early gen 3 (96/97) didnt have that 24V sticker on the fender...so...go by the model. Not to be rude at all, but I highly doubt there was a dual exhaust vulcan unless someone modded it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by Nick986@Jun 16 2004, 10:47 PM
Well...bout that dual exhaust on a Vulcan. The early gen 3 (96/97) didnt have that 24V sticker on the fender...so...go by the model. Not to be rude at all, but I highly doubt there was a dual exhaust vulcan unless someone modded it.
Yeah I have never seen one before, and figured if they do exist at least someone here would have duals on a vulcan.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts