Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this is a re post I searched for hours didn't find anything on here so here I go. I hate how the gen2 rear bumper is higher than the front bumper and side skirts wanting some ideas to fix that issue. first NO I will not just install an sho bumper it does not match the oe skirts or front bumper at all and since I don't have an sho im not gonna swap all the parts to make it look like one. My ideas so far is to use 2 oe rear bumpers and make it lower that way or to use 2 mustang mach 1 front chin spoilers to make a split rear lip. I plan on having my exhaust exit via the center of the rear bumper so keep that in mind thanks guys if anyone can think of something better

·
Registered
104 Posts
Just a put a SHO bumper on it LOL

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have tinkered with the idea of building a 3.8 liter supercharged power sho which is what SVT should have done with the american taurus sho instead of throwing and import motor and trans in it but i want something different

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
i have tinkered with the idea of building a 3.8 liter supercharged power sho which is what SVT should have done with the american taurus sho instead of throwing and import motor and trans in it but i want something different
Huh? The only SHO with an 'American' engine are the newest ones. They all had Yamaha and or Cosworth handiwork. And they always had Ford transaxles...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Huh? The only SHO with an 'American' engine are the newest ones. They all had Yamaha and or Cosworth handiwork. And they always had Ford transaxles...

While I'm in not the biggest fan of Yamaha, Cosworth is an AMAZING company, and for the record the 3.4 SHO block was a joint Cosworth/ford project. Ford also did the cooling system...which is why the V8 SHO's cook their own batteries, COP's, PS fluid and Trans fluid. The V8 SHO's need bigger Trans and PS fluid coolers and heat extractors in the hood. I plan on making my own heat extractors for my SHO.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
104 Posts
The supercharged 3.8 that was used in the SuperCoupe only put out 210HP. The Yamaha in the SHO put out 220 in a 3.2.

The SVT contour Duratec was designed by Porsche and sold to Ford and Cosworth manufactured the heads.

The reason the Yamaha was put it in the SHO is strictly money. Ford had Yamaha build an engine to put in a small two seater to compete with the MR2 and the Fiero etc... By the time the engine was complete the 2 seater market was dried up and Ford now had a contract for all these engines and nowhere to use them so they figured hell throw it in the Taurus. Thus the SHO was born.

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Fun story, but wrong. ;) Project GN34 was in the works only after the Taurus SHO was already in development- that mid engined coupe was gonna be a Fiero fighter to help put more of the SHO's existing engine design on the street.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
If it is a 3.8 then it isn't a SHO, just a Taurus.

SVT had nothing to do with the SHO.

You seem to dislike the "import" motor which produced more HP per liter then anything from Ford at the time and from quite a few auto makers. The SHO motor was an advanced engine for it's time. It even beat out the 5.0 for power. The SHO engine does not eat head gaskets like the 3.8 and handles power quite well.

Just make sure you can do the tuning and get a good trans axle because some one went down the road you are going and never finished.

You mean Mazda transaxles.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Fun story, but wrong. ;) Project GN34 was in the works only after the Taurus SHO was already in development- that mid engined coupe was gonna be a Fiero fighter to help put more of the SHO's existing engine design on the street.
"1989 marked the first year of the Taurus SHO. Utilizing a left over engine from a recently cancelled project, the SHO was born and opened up the door for affordable sport sedans"

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Check your sources. The Taurus SHO prototype sedan was already in existence with a Yamahammer 3.0L years before Roush was even contacted by Ford to start on the GN34 project. We would have seen the coupe in the very early 90's if the Fiero hadn't been discontinued, killing off its main reason to exist.

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
do ur research guys svt did work on the sho body wise
Wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. 100 times wrong. SVT wasn't even formed until 1993. The first gen SHO was '89, the 2nd gen was '92.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
as for the sho body parts i have read on many SHO websites that svt had a hand in it but the internet can be wrong. its a personal opinion of mine that import engines belong in imports and vise versa

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
9 Participants
4 wheel disc brakes
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing