Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '95 Vulcan/AX4N was running rich due to some changes I made to the throttle body (since fixed), but I fear it already killed my passenger bank cat. I don't much care about its functionality (FL has no emissions testing), but now i've got a bunch of rocks rattling around inside the thing. I'd take it to a muffler shop, but I presume that they won't just gut it for me (still illegal, right?), and I don't want to pay money I don't have for new cats I don't want, just to get rid of the rattling.

I looked at the possibility of removing the downpipe assembly (FL car has seen no salt), but I'm not sure exactly how I'd go about gutting the thing afterwards...

Or, I could cut the cats out entirely and replace with straight pipe, but I don't have welding capabilities, is it safe just to clamp a length of pipe in there?

No matter what I do, I know I need to do it to both cats, since I don't want unequal back-pressure on my cylinder banks...

If anyone has any experience in general, I'd appreciate any tips or advice on the matter.

- Jon Heese

·
Registered
285 Posts
One of the cheap ways out would be to get a junkyard cat and have some shop weld it in. I doubt that clamps would hold; the Taurus exhaust is stainless steel, IIRC. (Stainless has a large co-efficient of expansion.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts