Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I live in Canada where it can get fairly cold. I have a 1992 Taurus L and when I start it up it's always cold, I've always just let it warm up to a certain point before driving because if I drive it cold either it stalls out the moment I touch the gas or the throttle lags for a second before going. Being new to cars I was wondering if I put it in first (1) instead of putting it in drive (D not over drive) will that help get rid of the stall or throttle lags I'm experiencing. I know I shouldn't drive on highway in first but like for the first little bit when I'm leaving home in mostly 30km/h zones will it make any difference

TL:DR... Will driving in 1st gear get rid of stall/throttle lags that shows up in cold temps?

·
Registered
7 Posts
With a 4 speed transmission in 1 instead of D, it limits the transmission to 1st gear only. Put a 10 speed bicycle in the slowest gear and pedal as fast as you can... Know anyone who can drive a manual transmission, ask them about only using 1st gear.

It seems as your Mass Air Flow sensor is bad and it runs better once the O2 sensors start working (car warms up).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts