Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, kiddles... time for the dumb question of the week...

I'm up in gawd-afful cold Western Canada, and other than going to a custom fibreglass shop, or custom fabbing, I may never get a fancy-shmancy new race bumper... I want something like the '03 'stang's got, or maybe what the '93 Probe has, basically. But apparently, a 'stang front bumper just won't fit my girl. Same deal with the Probe bumper, apparently. And I'd like a nice, rear bumper, but I haven't decided if I want it to be a flush-run bumper, or not.

The next body mod issue is, again, a front end issue; I wanna ditch the middle grille (the little scrap of plastic with the Ford Logo) and replace it with some 18ga. galvanized mesh aluminum, but I can't even get the metal guys I work with to touch it. And they HAVE an FREAKIN' english wheel right there, IN the sheet metal shop. These guys are all tin bashers, or exterior sheet metal fabricators, btw, so I suspect these particular metal-munchers couldn't freehand a berr to their yapholes.

After that, does anyone now the mounting dimensions for the mid'90's Probe Spoiler/Tail? That's the look I've gonna go for, but nobody around here carries the damn things, unless I wanna mail-order for an extra $50-odd bucks.

Lastly, has anyone seen someplace to pick up euro-style lightcovers (front and back) for Gen2's?

So, should I just hit the scrap yard, grab the centre grill off another taurus, and make a pattern, then transfer to my galvie material? Should I forever give up hope that I will find a 'snap-on' bumper to replace that nasty stock one? Will I finally be able to begin living my lifelong dream of tricking out a Taurus? Can I start looking forward to making the ricers green with envy for my car's speed AND good looks? And will Sandy ever choose between Tom, d*** and Harry?

Oops.... that last question was for another forum.... :p

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
There's the STILLEN bumper. See me siggy.

And welcome to the :tcca:! Funny post!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
230 Posts
well if you have a dremel you can remove that plastic part with the foed logo and sand it down nicely. theres a gen 2 around me, white with a large blue stripe on the hood with the ford part of the grille cut out. and to do the mesh, pick up some aluminum gutterguard mesh. it's cheap, shiny, won't rust out on ya. and if you want a different look than the stillen, me and my friends right after my old bull died, got a plymouth voyager, or caravan front bumper. screws and body filler made it look pretty good. it fits alright, but dosen't reah all the way to the wheelerll, so make an extension out of scrap. we used scraps to make up some sideskirts too. and messed with a jeep rear bumper till it fit, auctualy looked decent. wish i had a digital camera back then or had thought of that earlier. but anything is doable with some time, money and a little ingenuity.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Time to spice this convo up with a hair o' newf...

"LORD THUNDERIN' JESUS BAY IT GOTS ALWAY QUIET IN EAR FER US!"

So, what's the stiff on the photoshop, at least?

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Trikt, where in Western Canada are you?????

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Central Albert, actually.... why?

It's too far to get anywhere to to buy this kind of stuff in person, and I have intentionally avoided getting a credit card, so I ain't ordering anything via the internet... got any ideas?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Paypal.... you can hook it to your bank account =] stash cash in it.. and buy online!! shipping isnt to bad if you order from within canada... or expect the shipping and duties and brokerage of whatever it is going across or coming across the border.. be prepared though.. takes a week or so to get from your bank account into paypal account

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly, I've gotten the impression that custom fabbing and buying locally is gonna cost me A LOT less in the long run... and besides that, I was positive that PayPal required a credit card to start...

I check out Pay Pal, but I seriously doubt it'll turn out cheaper than me doing most of the work myself... or just forcing my self to save up for money orders for the stuff I really want to buy online... ;)

I'm just not a patient man... that's why I became a commerical roofer... so I could get paid to break stuff, get a tan, and work out.... and get paid pretty damn well, no less... :D

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by Trikt@Jun 3 2004, 11:19 PM
Time to spice this convo up with a hair o' newf...

"LORD THUNDERIN' JESUS BAY IT GOTS ALWAY QUIET IN EAR FER US!"

So, what's the stiff on the photoshop, at least?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Don't drink and Photoshop!" J/K!

Ever play with fiberglass before? You could try that, I'll be doing some glass work this winter, probably.

And if you get a custom front-end made, MAKE A MOLD!! You'll get a few interested parties if you do, you can make all your money back plus plenty more.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by TrueBlue@Jun 9 2004, 01:22 PM
"Don't drink and Photoshop!" J/K!

Ever play with fiberglass before? You could try that, I'll be doing some glass work this winter, probably.

And if you get a custom front-end made, MAKE A MOLD!! You'll get a few interested parties if you do, you can make all your money back plus plenty more.
That's What I was figuring to do, actually... I'm also gonna see if I can compare actual sizes on the Ranger Sport bumpers and the Mustang front bumpers... I might try to use those as a base... if they won't fit with minimum mods, I'll use them as a base for the style of bumpers...

The other thing I'm thinking is getting the resins to do eurostyle lights... hehe... if I'm gonna start doing this, I may as well go whole pig on it... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
With the taillights, I'd think you could vaccum form some 1/8" plexi over the stock lenses. It might take some trial and error but it wouldn't be *too* tricky, the lenses aren't tall or anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts