Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shouldn't the 2004 Taurus/Sable be regarded as gen v? It's only seems right.

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Why? The 1998 Taurus was substantially redesigned, (new front bumper, new grill, new turn signals, new headlights in late 1998/1999, new tail lights, and different interior stuff...) and everyone just calls the 1998/1999 Taurus "gen 3." If it is the case to call it the gen 5 just because of an update, it would actually be gen 6...1986-1991 would be gen 1, 1992-1995 would be gen 2, 1996-1997 would be gen 3, 1998-1999 would be gen 4, 2000-2003 would be gen 5, and 2004- would be gen 6.
A new "generation" is a major over-haul. Such as the switch from gen 3 to gen 4.

-Kyle

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
IMHO, no. There were no sheet-metal changes what-so-ever. Just a few changes in the bumpers and rear lights, and some interior changes for the worse. The head lights are even the same and the grill looks cheaper than the ones they use on the focus. Sorry, I am just disappointed in Ford at the moment. My sister just got an Eddie Bauer Expedidtion and it is loaded. Why can't they put things like the reverse sensing system that lowers the outside mirrors and turns the radio down when you put it in reverse? I don't see a power-folding rear seat option on the wagon. It has a tire pressure monitoring system. And I almost forgot, it has memory for two key-fobs that automatically change the seat and peddles according to which person is using the vehicle. I consider most of us lucky with what we have I guess, but it could of been much more. And that is with out any options. Eddie Bauer Taurus anyone?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
There was never an Eddie Bauer car.. Those were all trucks. The only thing that was close to that was the Bill Blass Lincolns of the 80's and 90's.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Gen 4 and 1/2. IMO, the 97-98 redesign wasn't substantial; all they did was take the styling cues of the SHO line and put them into the SLO line. The new Tauruses look extremely similar to the Gen4's.

We should have a noob rating system for the generations, like my girlfriend; she can't see the difference between a Gen4 and the new Gen4's, so they are one generation.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
'86-'88, '89-'91, '92-'95, 96-'97, '98-'99, '00-'03, '04+ That's seven design changes.

Oh, and I saw a '04 today. The rear lights DON'T have orange turn signals. It's a combo light like '00-'03 models with the exception of a different lense.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Originally posted by fordaspiregv@Jan 20 2004, 04:54 PM
There was never an Eddie Bauer car.. Those were all trucks. The only thing that was close to that was the Bill Blass Lincolns of the 80's and 90's.
The Bauer edition Bronco II's were ok, but the full size Bronco's rocked! I did like the Bill Blass Lincoln and also the Cartier Mark V were hot stuff very class and out of my price range at the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts