Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! It's time for major suspention O/H on Big Silver. I considered Eibach springs but can't find a short enough strut and shock to suit the 1.4" drop. So, I poked around here and found the Gen III spring code table, which is said to apply to Gen IV as well. What I don't see is an entry or listing for rear wagon springs. I want to drop the nose on it so as to reduce that Gapping Gap in the wheel arch, replace the sacked out rear spring and level it out. From the GenIII code chart I think I've arrived at a RAN or LOW code for the front. A lower rating, for a sedan I suppose. The front code on my wagon is BOF on a green tag, the rear is DWD or B on a yellow tag. If someone has access to a Gen IV spring code/load/rate chart so as to cross the ratings I'd be set! I also spoke with the folks at AirLift and they belive they can accomidate the wagon with bags as I occasionally tow a light trailer with a 300 or 500lb bike on it.
Hope you guys can help, I need to get this done ASAP as the handleing is getting dangerous! Thanks in advance! Jon, Northern Utah

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
The load rating is printed on the tag.

Your best bet is to get a pair of Moog Cargo Coils for the rear.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
air lift for the rear is probly the best way to go.
The wagon rear suspension is totaly different then saden

for the front the monroe quick struts are good. any saden spring will work in the front. the gen3 are slightly stiffer then gen4 and the monroe split the difference.

if you do the airbags, post pics or kits#. it would be nise to conver mine aswell.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I added air bags in the coil springs on my 02 taurus wagon rear. Raised it 2 to 3". there's at least 2 brands.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
i had the airride bags inside the coil springs on my gen2 wagon. i though he was ralking about replaceing the spring with an airbag.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spoke to Eibach Tech and they said stock/OEM length struts would work but will bottom and wear out quickly. To me, that dose not work! I also spoke with KYB and Bilstien Tech and said the same about their application with Eibach's along with occourance of the spring slapping around or coming unseated when the strut out runs the free length of the spring. So, Eibachs are not an option here unless there's a shorter, crossed application out there someone is aware of. She's a daily driver; 90 miles a day +, comfort and longevity of service intervals is paramount. Ya, the Airlifts are a small bag that slips into the existing spring and I will let you know on that. I'm just tryin' to dump it a bit and loose the Soccer Mom look some while I'm renewing the suspension.. Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
There are many people running KYB's (mainly Gen3/4) and Monroes with Eibachs.

If that was the case no one would lower their Taurus.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps, but what are the results? How is the ride? Is there any spring slap at full extention such as when the tire drops into a pot hole and back or hops over a pavement transition then extends? Any severe bottoming? Why use Gen III Eibachs on Gen IV as I've seen mentioned here? Different rate? I'm ready to order parts but would like some more input from folks who have been running this sort of set up for awhile to be sure it's an acceptable way to go..
Thanks again,
Jon

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
The ride is pretty good, not too rough. We carry both Monroes and KYBs at SHO Source and both have seem to hold up for the Gen3/4.

The Gen4 suspension is basically the same just a little softer. So using Gen3 parts gives a slightly firmer suspension.

There is no spring slap, the only time it is an issue is when if comes to Konis and Gen3s.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, that's encouraging input. Are Eibach for Gen III and Gen IV wagons different springs? I want to maintain as much ride quality as I can. I'd like to hear some more disscution and perhaps some "testimonials" from those who have been driving Eibach's and OE type struts for awhile before I make the final decision. Thanks Loud SHO, we're getting closer..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts